Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Next purchase dilemma.

Next purchase dilemma.
johnnybmxer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2007, 01:57 PM

Alright. I wasn't sure of where to put this so...

Getting rid of the iMac G5 iSight for $1000 cash, hehe, don't ask. I have two different decisions.

1. Save and buy a Macbook Pro.

2. Buy a refurbished 15" Powerbook and a Powermac G4 to upgrade for a DAW and video machine. Which I could do for little over the cost of the MB Pro.

All the laptop would be used for is internet, music, and homework. The Powermac would be strictly video and audio work.

The MB Pro is very tempting but I'll be without a computer for months to save for it. I'm making roughly $700 a month at my current job. My parents are pitching in $300 for graduation, so that would have the Powerbook taken care of.

I'd like to hear some input also, thanks.
17" iMac G5 1.9GHz iSight, Mighty Mouse(wish they'd make a bluetooth version), and JBL Encounter 2.1 speakers...

Aron Peterson
Senior User
Apr 11, 2007, 02:02 PM

What you have already does everything you say you want to do on those other machines.
Web dev, Poe, faux-naïf, keyboard warrior, often found imitating online contrarians . My stuff : DELL XPS, iPhone 6

Dakar²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 02:14 PM

Don't go from a G5 to a G4.

Gossamer
Professional Poster

You can get a refurb MacBook Pro at the apple store for $1300. That will a better machine than the powerbook and G4 combined.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane

I'd save and get the MacBook Pro or an Intel iMac.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

mac128k-1984
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2007, 02:41 PM

Going from a G5 to a G4 seems to be a step backwards, If it were me I'd go for a mactel. If that's not in your budget now, then I'd not sell your imac until the money is there.

While the G4 may be be adequate it seems to me, that your throwing away by not waiting.

Will you need to buy a monitor for the G4, since you own an iMac?
Michael

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2007, 02:52 PM

he's gonna go from a 20" LCD to a 13.8" CRT curvy dealy.

-_-
ice

PER3
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 11, 2007, 03:00 PM

Get a PowerBook if you need a good screen. The MBPs are nice and bright, but grainy and only 6 bit—they support millions of colours, but don't display them, so you can get banding on gradients and so on. They also have a very low view angle.

Hopefully the next reiteration won't have a crappy screen.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 11, 2007, 03:07 PM

PPC is dead so I wouldn't go that route... if all you are doing with the laptop is internet, music, and homework... why not go with a Macbook? The $1099 system is a good deal once you max out the RAM.

You could also probably afford Applecare.

johnnybmxer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2007, 03:18 PM

I'm looking for something portable when I go off to college.

I dislike my iMac. I need something within my budget that's gonna do what I need and the Powerbook is looking like that something. It'll be used for small editing jobs and some audio work until I build up the G4, which is sort of a side project. I know a Macbook is capable of doing those things, but I'm thinking the Powerbook would handle workloads a little easier.

Gossamer - $1300 refurb Macbook Pro? I'm not looking for first-gen.

Mac128k - Looking at Dell 20.1" monitors eventually.

IceEnclosure - What?
17" iMac G5 1.9GHz iSight, Mighty Mouse(wish they'd make a bluetooth version), and JBL Encounter 2.1 speakers...

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2007, 03:40 PM

If you are going to do the heavy work on the desktop and surf on the laptop, then a G4 PowerMac and a MBP laptop is the wrong way around. Get a better desktop and a more basic or older laptop. And just so that we can see your reasons and help you aout some more, what don't you like about your iMac??

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 11, 2007, 03:58 PM

just kidding. I was referring to the fact that you're "taking a step or two back".

Refurb C2D MacBooks start at like $800 at the Apple Store. They're not first gen. They were there yesterday, not there today. You should check it from time to time.
ice

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Apr 11, 2007, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by johnnybmxer View Post

Gossamer - $1300 refurb Macbook Pro? I'm not looking for first-gen.
First gen or not, it will stomp both what you have and what you're looking to buy/build.
( Last edited by Gossamer; Apr 11, 2007 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Wow...I messed that one up.)

johnnybmxer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2007, 04:15 PM

I really don't know why I hate this thing as much as I do, haha. It has only a few problems. Mostly coming from the usb modem. It won't connect after sleep unless I manually disconnect it, then if I don't do it that certain way, it locks up and I get a grey "restart" screen.

Ugh, I don't want a Macbook, haha. So low-end Macbook over a top-end Powerbook G4? Oh, how the mighty have fallen. I guess I could go that way.

I'm still wondering about using the MB for recording. Cause that's the only big thing it'll be used for. If the Powerbook will handle it better I'd rather go that route. It's a deciding factor. I'm using Logic Pro, a USB interface, and a bit of midi, if you need to know.

The Powermac is more of a project. I can pick it up cheap and build slowly without having to spend $1000+ right out of the gate. I need something for now so I can make some payments on an electric drumkit a friend is getting rid of for cheap. Moving into an apartment at the end of the summer so money will be tight after that. So longevity is another thing, haha.
( Last edited by johnnybmxer; Apr 11, 2007 at 04:27 PM. )

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 11, 2007, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by johnnybmxer View Post
Ugh, I don't want a Macbook, haha. So low-end Macbook over a top-end Powerbook G4? Oh, how the mighty have fallen. I guess I could go that way.

I'm still wondering about using the MB for recording. Cause that's the only big thing it'll be used for. If the Powerbook will handle it better I'd rather go that route. It's a deciding factor. I'm using Logic Pro, a USB interface, and a bit of midi, if you need to know.

The Powermac is more of a project. I can pick it up cheap and build slowly without having to spend $1000+ right out of the gate. I need something for now so I can make some payments on an electric drumkit a friend is getting rid of for cheap. Moving into an apartment at the end of the summer so money will be tight after that. So longevity is another thing, haha.
Processor-wise, a "low-end" MacBook would trounce any PowerBook for audio work. The only limiting factor I can imagine would be what sort of audio ports the PowerBook has that the MacBook might lack, but that should be easy to find out.

(EDIT: Unless non-universal software is an issue here)

You also can't really upgrade any hardware on the PowerBook that you couldn't on the MacBook, either, so I don't think it would be any better of a "project" for you.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

johnnybmxer  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 11, 2007, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
Processor-wise, a "low-end" MacBook would trounce any PowerBook for audio work. The only limiting factor I can imagine would be what sort of audio ports the PowerBook has that the MacBook might lack, but that should be easy to find out.

(EDIT: Unless non-universal software is an issue here)

You also can't really upgrade any hardware on the PowerBook that you couldn't on the MacBook, either, so I don't think it would be any better of a "project" for you.
Non-universal Logic Pro 7 and Cubase, I use both frequently. I have a USB interface, so the only real problem would be the software.

I don't understand the "project" remark. I'm not making a project out of the PB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules