Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > MAC Address filtering enough?

MAC Address filtering enough?
GATTACA
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 13, 2004, 05:46 PM

Hello.

I've got a Linksys WAP11 in my home for my powerbook. I've configured the linksys to use MAC address filtering. It set to only allow my powerbook.

I've tried configuring WEP encryption to no avail. Everything I try results in me not being able to connect the linksys from the powerbook.

Is the WEP really that important? I have MAC address filtering on so I'm imagining that I'm fairly safe from someone free-loading off my wireless connection (unless they know my MAC address and can spoof it).

Do I still need to enable WEP to prevent hackers from intercepting my passwords, credit card numbers, etc.. ? I don't think so given that all MAC address except for mine are blocked from connecting. However I'm not a network expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Suggestions?
PowerBook G4 800Mhz
1GB RAM
60GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
Running Tiger

The Oracle
Dedicated MacNNer
Location: Mt. Ararat, chillin' with Noah in the Ark's broken hull.
Nov 13, 2004, 08:30 PM

One can intercept radio communications without having any need to connect to the wireless network.

All-seeing and all-knowing since 2000 B.C.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 14, 2004, 06:38 PM

WEP is important if you're going to be passing any personal information, such as credit card numbers, Social Security number, and so on, through your wireless network. Better than WEP is WPA, or Wi-Fi Protected Access. Unfortunately, your WAP11 may not support WPA, depending on which version it is.

You don't say, so I'm going to assume that your PowerBook is using an AirPort card. If not, this next part may not be helpful at all. Most problems people have with connecting using WEP (or WPA) between a Mac and a non-Apple product come from Apple taking the password input as plain text, and EVERYBODY ELSE taking it as hexidecimal. It's a simple thing to generate a WEP key on your WAP11, and then enter it as hexidecimal in your Mac. The most recent several versions of the AirPort Admin Utility have a radio button that tells the utility what form the password is in. If you have an old version (why?) just start the entry with "$" (without the quotes), and that will tell the utility that the input is hex.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

GCW
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2004, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by GHPorter:
WEP is important if you're going to be passing any personal information, such as credit card numbers, Social Security number, and so on, through your wireless network.
True, although many cases where people enter credit card numbers and the like are on secure web sites, so your personal information isn't sent in the clear all that often.

Regarding MAC spoofing, with the right software, a hacker could fairly easily snoop your MAC address, and then fairly easily spoof it.

I actually don't have WEP enabled either, and just use a MAC Address filter, but my wireless AP is in the basement (so the signal doesn't propagate very far) and I don't live close enough to that many people for it to bother me. Your situation may be different.

EDIT: Actually, after mulling this over a bit, decided I was just being lazy and went ahead and turned on WPA. Please disregard my final point.
( Last edited by GCW; Nov 16, 2004 at 01:14 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules