Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Why can't I view AVI media clips?

Why can't I view AVI media clips?
Powerbook lover
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2001, 05:17 AM

Is their a way to view AVIs?

Griggsy
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 22, 2001, 05:34 AM

IMPORT them inot Quicktime, i know Pro does it, not sure about the lite version
Torn apart by the wood peckers of mistrust t0 not have this happen 2 u visit guinea pig::the life of a mac designer::

Cipher13
Nov 22, 2001, 06:39 AM

Download Windows Media Player 6.3 and Mac DivX player... http://mac.divx.st

Works nicely.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2001, 12:11 PM

AVI's should play fine in QT Player, IF you have the right codecs, no need to import them.
If the video is encoded with DivX, then do what cypher said.
But it might be some other video format (Indeo Video, 3ivX, Microsoft Video...).

Go to asu.info.apple.com and search for Indeo Video (or http://download.info.apple.com/Apple...m/QuickTime/).

Go to homepage.mac.com/jacob_aberg and download the WindowsCompressors file.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Nov 22, 2001, 12:36 PM

Go to the chalkboard and write the following a hundred times:
AVI IS NOT A CODEC.
AVI IS NOT A CODEC.
AVI IS NOT A CODEC.
AVI is a file format. Like QuickTime's own .mov, it can contain video and/or audio of many different codecs. QuickTime has full support for the AVI format, and can play any AVI file which uses codecs which QuickTime supports.

Unfortunately, many AVI's use one of two codecs which QuickTime does not have support built in for. The older codec, called Indeo, was popular several years ago, and is still popular in some circles for things like anime music videos. This codec is not likely to ever be ported to OSX, because Ligos, the company that maintains Indeo, has stopped all development on it for any platform.

The other codec is Microsoft's pseudo-MPEG-4 video format. This is the video which was used in older DivX movies. Someone has ported a player for these to OSX; look at http://diovx.jamby.net for more information. There is also a player for OS9, however it requires WiMP 6.3, which is getting increasingly difficult to find. But the player, should you want it, is at http://www.mac.st ; I'm afraid you are on your own for finding WiMP.

There is also one audio format common in AVI's that QuickTime doesn't support at all: WMA, or Windows Media Audio. This thing sucks pretty hardcore, for a variety of reasons, but it's fairly popular. Only the OS9 DivX player can handle these; the OSX one cannot.

The other popular audio format for AVI files is variable bitrate MP3. QuickTime does support this codec, however, there is a bug in it which keeps variable bitrate MP3's embeedded in AVI files from playing correctly. The OSX and OS9 players both have workarounds for this bug; Apple is also aware of the issue.

You may be asking, "why doesn't Apple just put support for these into QuickTime?" It's not as simple as that, unfortunately. Well, the MP3 thing is. But Indeo, MS-MPEG4, and WMA are not. These would all have to be licensed from the companies which maintain them (Ligos and Microsoft). Ligos might be convinced to let Apple do a port; they let someone do a port for Linux (although that person cannot open the source to his code; that was the only way Ligos would let him do it). MS-MPEG-4 and WMA, though... good luck. I'd say the odds of Microsoft letting Apple incorporate those into QuickTime, after they'd previously asked Apple to "knife the baby", are only slightly worse than a snowball's chance in a bonfire.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

cdhostage
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2001, 12:50 PM

Two programs you need. Email me at [email protected] for them.

Windows Media Player 6.3 (very hard to find)
Mac DivX Player
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

pete.z
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2001, 02:18 PM

wrong post..... :o

[ 11-26-2001: Message edited by: pete.z ]
MOSTLY HARMLESS

http://www.macfreak.nl

Spliff
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2001, 06:27 AM

Millenium,

Thanks, that's the best explanation of why I, as a Mac user, can't play so many of the friggin avi files out there.

What happened to mpeg-4? I thought this was supposed to be the codec that saved us all. And why do Windows users use such crappy codecs? Isn't Quicktime the industry standard for digital video?

MP3 is a standard that most everyone uses. But for digital video we have mpeg, avi, divx, 3ivx, mov, asf, asv, rm, ram. Bloody hell! I just want some consistency and predicability. I want to be able to play a movie by double-clicking it. I don't want to have to do all this divx voodoo to get the f**king thing to work.

Is that too much to ask? Is there hope on the horizon? Will mpeg-4 replace divx?

Okay, I'll calm down. I have pills.

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 28, 2001, 03:17 PM

Hi.

As for WMP 6.3.
Do a search in the archives under this very forum section and you`ll find a working link to get this player.
I downloaded it yesterday, but can`t remember theURL.

Tom

rdaneel
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 28, 2001, 11:12 PM

got my WMP 6.3 at: http://mac.divx.st/download/

Note that ONLY v6.3 will work.

It's been a real pita to get even basic AVI operation. I tried the AVI to QT routine but got nowhere and with the seeming proliferation of divx encoding, I'm struggling with divx/WMP6.3.

RD

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: rdaneel ]

Forum Links
Forum Rules