Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quark 6.1 Issues

Quark 6.1 Issues
THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2004, 05:45 PM

I posted on their boards, but there isn't any moderators and not too many people. I thought i'd give the old Macnn forums a try.

Issue #1:
I'm a Graphic Designer and we just upgraded from 4.11 on OS9 to 6.1 on Mac OSX (the latest version and completely up to date). When we open 4.11 files, a LOT of the time, when we try to save as... or just resave over the file, we get a message saying File not Found [-43]. I don't get it... I'm not asking you to find anything... I'm asking you to save... to create. I think it has something to do with the new Project:Layout crap that I don't get. The title bar shows the old name of the file twice (EX:EX) with a colon in-between. Then when I resave it (when it decides to work) the name changes (NEW:EX). I just want a single document... just one name. Quark would save without problems then (See: 4.11)! Does anyone have any info on this behavior or can help? I seriously need help... Quark does me no good if it won't save. I've tried repairing permisisons. We use a windows server 2k3 as our server. I thought it was that (a compatability issue), but it's a random thing... some will save... some won't.

Issue #2:
Pretty much whenever I try to print, I get a message that says to the effect that "The font "name here" is corrupt. A substitute may be used." It also says that when I try to export as PDF. Now, we are working with Adobe's Font Folio (opentype), so there is no way they are corrupt . Also, the prints and PDF's seem to be ok... but it's a pain to recheck everything to make sure the right face of the font family is being used. So, I'm not sure why it's doing that. Thanks for any insights or help.

Issue #3:
Quark... I 've come to notice (and so have my coworkers) has been truncating our file names with what appears to be half of what we had before and the last half replaced with what looks like hex code. WTF!? Why in the HECK is that happening?

Here is an example:

The '.LR' is the initials added by the designer (me). but the stuff before that after the name was all Quark added...
Also, there are several files at the bottom of the folder with names like:
QXP-1114620339.qxp

I assume those are temporary file or what not... but why don't they go away?

Issue #4:
Ok... New issue... COLLECTING FOR OUTPUT.
In OS9 in 4.11 we output our pages into one folder. We would take the temporary build page and rename it to the actual book page and save it. Then we would print out the page, remove any FPO images, save, then collect to the same folder. Worked fine.
In 6.1, doing the same process (ie, opening the temporary work page, renaming it to the book page in a separate folder, priming it, then collecting to same said folder), results in the following message:

But, there ISN'T any file in there with the same name! It's just the page... and collect adds "Report" to the end, and there is nothing else in the folder, so I don't know what it's seeing... I tried this whole process in a new folder and it did the same thing!
So, to work around this, I made ANOTHER folder inside my collected folder and collected there instead... it works, but it's a pain that there is such a horrid difference between the two versions.

Anyone?
( Last edited by THE MAC GOD; Oct 12, 2004 at 06:02 PM. )

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 11, 2004, 06:20 PM

No matter how convinced you are you may have some corrupt fonts. XPress is very sensitive to those (as is Illustrator - especially when printing).

Since you are converting from XPress 4 to XPress 6 files and having issues you should try to isolate the problem by creating a new file in XP4 and importing and saving in XP6. Then add a few elements at a time and see what screws things up.

I have fortunately not needed to convert from XPress 4 to 5 or 6 but I've heard some people have had unexpected problems. They are usually tied to the workflow and habits of the people themselves rather than the app. XPress 4 is can be one plug-inned and hacked app in some cases.

Hope you find a good solution!

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2004, 06:26 PM

Yeah... everything before last week was in OS9 and 4.11. Including the fonts. Type 1. We bought the OT Folio group since the print house is pushing for opentype. So, quark must be exceptionally sensitive. Like my ex.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 12, 2004, 06:30 AM

Sorry I couldn't be of more help

I'm running XPress 6.1 on a single workstation and don't rely on another server or anything. It has worked 100% ok for me so far.

*bump* (in hopes of someone else seeing this that can help better)

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2004, 10:28 AM

Bumping for new issue! (#3)

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 12, 2004, 11:08 AM

Look here: http://www.quark.com/service/forums/...ec680d08#14132

A post from the Quark Suck thread:
-----------------------------
"I despise Quark as a company. In fact anybody I know who has had any dealings with them, tends to feel the same.

But the software is no worse than many other products. The only issue I have at present (and it is a big one) is the network saving bug that affects some (but not all) server environments.

I have used InDesign from version one, through to the current version, and it is no better than Quark. It has a similar amount of bugs and, when it comes to repro, it has more than Quark.

From a usability and features point of view it is pretty much the same as Pagemaker. OK, they've added transparency and a few other funky features. But it is hardly ground-breaking and far from 'new'. This is just a load of hype that is believed by people new to the industry, or who can't use either product to their full potential. Oh and it makes accountants happy because in the short term, it appears cheaper on the bottom line."
-----------------------------

My emphasis added. The rest is only relevant to the ah 'discussion' of the thread it was originally posted in. Sounds like your problem. You are not alone then.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2004, 12:41 PM

I have never used Quark 6, thank god, but I also wonder if it isn't a server incompatibility bug. I don't know whether you're using Windows File Services for Mac on your server or some other product, but I do remember having problems with resource forks in some software a couple of years ago where the software would go bonkers saving to the Windows file server, basically splitting off the resource forks. Maybe it's a similar problem with QXP6.

That said, I despise Quark as a company as well, and truly hate that slimey bastard Ibrahimi, its owner. I got burned very badly by those ****ers when they killed mTropolis back in 1998, and I hope they simply burn in hell.
weird wabbit

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 12, 2004, 04:22 PM

Here is an example:

The '.LR' is the initials added by the designer (me). but the stuff before that and after the name was all Quark added...

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 12, 2004, 06:52 PM

Originally posted by theolein:
I have never used Quark 6, thank god, but I also wonder if it isn't a server incompatibility bug. I don't know whether you're using Windows File Services for Mac on your server or some other product, but I do remember having problems with resource forks in some software a couple of years ago where the software would go bonkers saving to the Windows file server, basically splitting off the resource forks. Maybe it's a similar problem with QXP6.

That said, I despise Quark as a company as well, and truly hate that slimey bastard Ibrahimi, its owner. I got burned very badly by those ****ers when they killed mTropolis back in 1998, and I hope they simply burn in hell.
Ibrahimi is gone. Thank God.

Otherwise I'm neutral on the company and find XPress to be a good app.

I hope for THE MAC GOD's sake that Quark fixes this networking bug in the next release. XPress 6.5 is to be out soon and XPress 7 is already in the works.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2004, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by Twilly Spree:
Ibrahimi is gone. Thank God.

Otherwise I'm neutral on the company and find XPress to be a good app.

I hope for THE MAC GOD's sake that Quark fixes this networking bug in the next release. XPress 6.5 is to be out soon and XPress 7 is already in the works.
Ibrahimi is gone?????? When did this happen? I hope the guy was shot by an irate customer. Can you tell me the story?
weird wabbit

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 13, 2004, 02:20 AM

Yeah... just read about the new point release coming out that's supposed to fix stability and networking issues... God, I hope that fixes them..

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 13, 2004, 07:42 AM

Ibrahimi is gone?????? When did this happen? I hope the guy was shot by an irate customer. Can you tell me the story?
Ahem.

Well, I can't find his ugly face among the Executives any more

http://www.quark.com/about/profile/bios.html

Maybe he still owns part of Quark but he seems to be out. One Kamar Aulakh is current President and CEO. Looks like a good guy. Talks with his mouth not his rectum like Fred Ebrahimi.

Fred is named chairman of the board of directors here

http://www.quark.com/about/presscent...ew.jsp?idx=313

So it seems we have been Fred free since feb.

Notice all the positive press releases since Auklakh took over:

August

* QPS arrives for QuarkXPress 6 and Mac OS X
* Quark customers help redesign QuarkStore for improved online shopping experience
* Quark expanding efforts in European market and customer relations
* D&H Distributing to deliver Quark software to the college book store channel
* Quark Adds Franchise Services as a QuarkAlliance Premier Output Provider
* Quark selects Sterling Ledet to operate Denver training center
* Quark announces certified expert program

July

* Quark strengthens ties with developer community
* Quark joins NGP to optimize print workflows
* Quark relaxes single-user licensing policy
* Quark announces educational promotion for QuarkXPress

May

* Quark promotes custom solutions at Drupa
* Quark rolls out OEM program
* Quark Dynamic Document Server upgraded, optimized for Xserve G5
* Quark joins CIP4 to help set standards for end-to-end publishing workflows
* QuarkVista previewed at Drupa
* Quark forms alliance with HP to propel variable printing workflows mainstream
* New variable data power in QuarkXPress
* HP Forms Alliance with Quark to Dramatically Simplify Creation and Production of One-to-one Marketing Communications

April

* Quark joins Global Society for Asset Management as Principal Founding Member
* AlphaGraphics joins QuarkAlliance as first Premier output provider
* Quark Benevolent breaks ground for school in India
* Introducing Quark Content Manager 3
* Quark joins PODi Digital Printing initiative as Executive Member

March

* Quark revitalizes QuarkAlliance program

February

* QuarkXPress 6.1 update has arrived
* Quark appoints new CEO

http://www.quark.com/about/presscent....jsp?year=2004

WHEW. I've never browsed through a company's press releases before. Icky.

Fred used to own almost 8% of Quark but I don't know how his position is today. Looks like he's out in the cold anyway and I for one am glad.

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2004, 07:29 AM

Eek, those press releases are kind of sickly sweet aren't they?! Still, Quark might just actually do something with that SOB Ibrahimi out of the way. I don't think there are many CEO's that single handedly managed to do as much damage to their company as he did.

I see that Quark recently restored the forums on their site after having been down for almost a year (fear of justified criticism), ans I took a look through them for a laugh a couple of nights ago. There were many many disillusioned people offering pretty vicious criticism of Quark, citing the promises Quark made in the past about improving its non existant customer support and arrogance and rightly pointing out that Quark's problems are entirely of its own making, and the few Quark apologists were definitely in the minority there. I think Quark will have to work hard to get a positive image again. I was also shocked that most of the Quark apologists were simply ignorant of the advances in InDesign (Keyboard shortcuts, PDF support, transparencies etc etc) and one of the most voiciferous was still using XPress 4.1 on Mac OS 9.22!

Maybe Kamar what's his name, the new CEO, will even be repsonsive to the selling of the mTropolis codebase at a reasonable price, unlike that useless POS Ibrahimi. When Quark, in one of the most braindead actions I've ever seen, killed mTropolis in 1998, the userbase banded together to try and buy the code for the dead product from Quark. Quark would not sell the code, even though they would not use it themselves ever again, and would only licence it and even tried to force a EULA on the customers into agreeing not to publicly criticise them!!!! Of course, with a fuļæ½king stinking POS like Ibrahimi in charge, the only CEO I know to have publicly accused his own customers of being liars and thieves and publicly placing the blame for all of Quark's problems on its developers, the whole deal fell through, and the code has never been seen again.

I'm going to raise the issue with the mTropolis survivors list and ask them to write a joint letter to Quark about either agreeing to release the code to GPL, or to sell it for a reasonable price.
weird wabbit

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2004, 08:58 AM

I have used InDesign from version one, through to the current version, and it is no better than Quark. It has a similar amount of bugs and, when it comes to repro, it has more than Quark.
I would like to hear what some of these alleged InDesign bugs are. I'm sorry for all the Quark apologists, but there is no way ID has anything like the number of bugs that QX6.1 has. Sure, there are some, but they pale in significance compared to the number and severity of those in QX.

InDesign is the product Quark should have made, had their R&D department not been playing Quake all day with their thumbs up their asses since version 4. Because of this, InDesign has, in a short time, overtaken Quark in both feature set and reliability.

ID gets a lot of bad press about so called 'bugs', especially from the repro side of things - repro being a market sector well known for their attitude towards change. As a repro technician of seven years I feel qualified to make this statement and would like to point out that the vast majority of problems are not bugs but rather cases of NRTFM (the N stands for Not) which is inexcusable in repro.

If anyone would like to enlighten me as to some of these repro bugs I would be happy to explain them to you. In the meantime, comparing Quark 6.1 to InDesign CS is like comparing WinXP to Panther.

Even more off topic: http://www.prepressure.com/fun/pete09.htm
( Last edited by siMac; Oct 14, 2004 at 10:33 AM. )
|\|0\/\/ 15 7|-|3 71|\/|3

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2004, 09:09 AM

It'll be interesting to see what 6.5 does as far as squashing some of the many bugs.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 14, 2004, 10:37 AM

Originally posted by siMac:
I would like to hear what some of these alleged InDesign bugs are. I'm sorry for all the Quark apologists, but there is no way ID has anything like the number of bugs that QX6.1 has. Sure, there are some, but they pale in significance compared to the number and severity of those in QX.

InDesign is the product Quark should have made, had their R&D department not been playing Quake all day with their thumbs up their asses since version 4. Because of this, InDesign has, in a short time, overtaken Quark in both feature set and reliability.

ID gets a lot of bad press about so called 'bugs', especially from the repro side of things - repro being a market sector well known for their attitude towards change. As a repro technician of seven years I feel qualified to make this statement and would like to point out that the vast majority of problems are not bugs but rather cases of NRTFM (the N stands for Not) which is inexcusable in repro.

If anyone would like to enlighten me as to some of these repro bugs I would be happy to explain them to you. In the meantime, comparing Quark 6.1 to InDesign CS is like comparing WinXP to Panther.

Even more off topic: http://www.prepressure.com/fun/pete09.htm
Right well this wasn't my post, that was a quote from another forum.

Just to make it absolutely clear, I have no opinion on any bugs in ID because I've never used it extensively.

You can visit the Quark Sucks thread on the Quark forums for all your derailing pleasure. Please don't post more about ID in this thread.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2004, 10:45 AM

Please don't post more about ID in this thread.
Why not? The thread has shifted from the original comments/questions and ID has, naturally, been mentioned. Or did you get mod status and no one was told?

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 14, 2004, 11:06 AM

Just to make it absolutely clear, I have no opinion on any bugs in ID because I've never used it extensively.

You can visit the Quark Sucks thread on the Quark forums for all your derailing pleasure. Please don't post more about ID in this thread.
Who made you the maker of decisions as to who posts what where? If you think XPress is good, say so. No one's stopping you, but you can't stop others from posting their opinions. That makes you sound too much like a Quark employee shļæ½tiing himself because he knows that he's going to lose his job if Quark tanks, which it might well do if Kamar thingamabob's promises are just that.
weird wabbit

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2004, 05:04 PM

Just so you know, Twilly Spree, private messaging me to try to make me stop posting here is above ridiculous. We are all entitled to our opinions. Your idea that no one should criticize Quark is plainly stupid. You know as well as everyone else what Quark's reputation is. If it improves, fine. If it doesn't, well, what else is new. The reason I said you sounded like one of the Quark forum moderators is because that is exactly what they do on those forums, and it is exactly what they did to us when we were criticising them for killing mTropolis, i.e. try to keep us from publicly criticising them.

Fat chance.
weird wabbit

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2004, 05:52 PM

Alrighty then... Can we go back to the issues at hand please? No disrespect, but I do have problems that need fixing (mom always told me that).

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 18, 2004, 11:16 PM

Originally posted by THE MAC GOD:
Alrighty then... Can we go back to the issues at hand please? No disrespect, but I do have problems that need fixing (mom always told me that).
Sorry to hear you still have the same problems. Is all your work done on the server? If yes, what server are you running exactly and what software are you using on that server to connect to from the Mac? I presume you're using some Windows sever variant with file services for Mac enabled. Have you tried doing the same tasks locally? If so, do you still have the same problems or do they go away when the work is done locally? If the problems do go away when doing the work locally, have you considered connecting to the Windows server with the built in SMB client on Mac OSX instead of using afp with a Mac volume? You would not have resource forks available then, but that shouldn't be a problem, since Quark should now, hopefully, recognise files by extension, and not only Creator and Type resources.

Let us know.
weird wabbit

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 19, 2004, 05:57 AM

Just so you know, Twilly Spree, private messaging me to try to make me stop posting here is above ridiculous. We are all entitled to our opinions. Your idea that no one should criticize Quark is plainly stupid. You know as well as everyone else what Quark's reputation is. If it improves, fine. If it doesn't, well, what else is new. The reason I said you sounded like one of the Quark forum moderators is because that is exactly what they do on those forums, and it is exactly what they did to us when we were criticising them for killing mTropolis, i.e. try to keep us from publicly criticising them.

Fat chance.
Why don't you post my PM instead of lying about my intentions? Go ahead you have my permission.

Having seen the Quark forums and their lack of moderation (e.g. the Quark Sucks thread) it is way beyond paranoid of you to accuse moderators going to other boards defending Quark when they don't even moderate their OWN forums.

I live and work in Tallahassee for the state, not Quark by any means. Thanks for the personal attacks though. This thread is about a specific problem THE MAC GOD is experiencing with XPress and not about Quark's reputation - KNOWING how FAST threads spin from a useful topic as soon as Quark's not-so-stellar reputation is mentioned or a comparison to InDesign is made, to a bashing fest, I simply tried to prevent that (not to order anyone about, I think we all know how these QXP vs ID threads usually turn out). When you resorted to personal attacks I PMed you to explain what I meant but then you post here and LIE about the contents of my PM. Wow you are a cool character!

I'm in full agreement when you say "You know as well as everyone else what Quark's reputation is. If it improves, fine. If it doesn't, well, what else is new." and if that was your opinion from the start then why the heck are you accusing me of pointing out that Quark's reputation isn't just off topic in this thread but immaterial to THE MAC GOD's problem.

The reason I did my small research on Ebrihimi's departure from Quark is because YOU asked me to.

I want to apologize to THE MAC GOD for extending this useless tangent but since theolein decided to complain AND lie about my PM to him instead of PMing me back I think I'm entitled to a response in public.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 19, 2004, 06:03 AM

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2004, 06:09 AM

On the derail, twilly spree did not handle the matter well and shouldn't have tried to act like a moderator. Bad job.

On the problem at hand, have you checked with the quark folks, TMG? I thought 5 was compatible with 4 and version 6 was compatible with 5 but not 3.

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Oct 19, 2004, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
On the derail, twilly spree did not handle the matter well and shouldn't have tried to act like a moderator. Bad job.
This isn't the lounge. Threads are supposed to stay on topic or else they become useless. What's with the paranoid insecurity complex?

"whaaaa user x is acting like a mod telling us to STAY ON TOPIC! The OUTRAGE!!"

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 10:57 AM

I realise that you were quoting from another forum, and I was asking to hear about so-called ID bugs in general, not specifically from you - perhaps I wasn't clear, sorry.

Still, I haven't heard any yet!

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2004, 11:03 AM

I will have to try some of this locally... We have not been adding .qxd to the end of the file names (maybe we should-that's something I'll have to play with)... since I though OSX did that invisibly (most programs have the check mark at save to show or hide it, but 6.1 doesn't). We are using SMB connecting to Windows Server 2k3 (Tournament Edition-Har) for the Macs, so it probably is the .qxd causing problems... All I can say is that I am really looking forward to 6.5... here's hoping that it doesn't bring a new host of issues.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Oct 19, 2004, 11:05 AM

This isn't the lounge. Threads are supposed to stay on topic or else they become useless. What's with the paranoid insecurity complex?
Are you a moderator? if not, then contribute or not. And you can SUGGEST to people if you think it's being derailed. And if that fails, contact a mod and see what action they take, if any, on it and be happy with that.

But if you're trying to police a conversation or censor it or just act like a mod wannabe, then you should have a cuppa mocha with a double shot of stfu. And that's my opinion on the subject and the last I'll say of it because you're derailing this conversation with your messianic ambitions.

almaink
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 19, 2004, 12:39 PM

I will have to try some of this locally... We have not been adding .qxd to the end of the file names (maybe we should-that's something I'll have to play with)... since I though OSX did that invisibly (most programs have the check mark at save to show or hide it, but 6.1 doesn't). We are using SMB connecting to Windows Server 2k3 (Tournament Edition-Har) for the Macs, so it probably is the .qxd causing problems... All I can say is that I am really looking forward to 6.5... here's hoping that it doesn't bring a new host of issues.
In Quark 6.1 the extension is .qxp, qxd is for v5 and below.
Remember ALL jobs in Quark 6.1 are now PROJECTS. You can have many LAYOUTS in one PROJECT. Quarks idea not mine. I guess they figured most people have a letterhead, envelope, bussinness cards ect. Now you can keep them all together in one PROJECT and if you have an edit do it once in one LAYOUT and then update the whole PROJECT to reflect the edit. Just more Quark crap IMO as I'll never use this feature.

siMac
Mac Elite
Oct 19, 2004, 01:35 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
you should have a cuppa mocha with a double shot of stfu.
LOL

Agreed.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 19, 2004, 01:40 PM

Thanks for the info.. It's good to know that difference... I'm the same way with the whole layout thing... That way if the file goes bad, so does all the layouts you have... instead of one file... Oh well...

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2004, 02:40 PM

Originally posted by almaink:n Quark 6.1 the extension is .qxp, qxd is for v5 and below.
Remember ALL jobs in Quark 6.1 are now PROJECTS. You can have many LAYOUTS in one PROJECT. Quarks idea not mine. I guess they figured most people have a letterhead, envelope, bussinness cards ect. Now you can keep them all together in one PROJECT and if you have an edit do it once in one LAYOUT and then update the whole PROJECT to reflect the edit. Just more Quark crap IMO as I'll never use this feature
I also didn't know that Quark had changed the file extension, but almaink's info that a QXProject can now store many layout's etc, makes me wonder if they don't indeed use a completely different type of file format now, i.e. a bundle type or something.

In any case, although I would check the following:
Firstly, look to see in the Quark prefernces somewhere there isn't an option to append file extensions to files. If there isn't then I presume Quark may have a kind of "bug" there in that they use Creator and FileType Resources on the Mac, which are almost certainly going to get lost when you save it over SMB to your Win2k3 (UT-w00t) server. If the files have no extension when you save them to thev server, Quark will not be able to recognise them later.

I.E. Make sure you give all your Quark 6.1 files the .qxp extension, just as almaink said, after looking to see why 6.1 doesn't automatically do that. That is most probably the root of all your problems.
weird wabbit

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2004, 11:29 PM

I just thought that perhaps your font problem is also being caused by using them on a non HFS+ file system. Are your fonts perhaps stored on the server?
weird wabbit

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2004, 12:14 PM

Remember those 'temp files' I mentioned keep amalgamating at the bottom of our work folder? Here's a pic... and it keeps growing... I don't think they are temp anymore since we turned that OFF on all machines... AND, every time we get that File not found -43 error, another one is added... So, what is going on?

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2004, 02:30 PM

Notice that all those files have the .qxp extension. Are these files on your server? I presume so since you say they're in your work folder. My guess is that these are the second part of the forks created when Quark tries to write Mac files to a non HFS+ file system.

What that means in plain text:

Traditional Mac files have two parts.
One part is the data fork.
One part is the resource fork.
On OS9 you wouldn't see that a file has two parts.
On OSX you can have it both ways, with files only having one part (in which case you need an extension to the name, such as .qxp, just like on Windows, in order for the OS to identify the file) or you can have the traditional Mac way with files with two parts.
The problem for other OSes is that they don't understand the traditional Mac files with two parts.
Usually, if you send them a traditional Mac file, they'll either split the file up into two different parts (This is what is happening with your Win2k3 server, I think) and store one or both parts as seperate files, or they won't understand it at all.
I think Quark Express 6, is trying to write traditional Mac files to the server, but the server doesn't understand it and is buggering up.
You said you were connected to the server with SMB with OSX.
You also said that until recently, you were using OS9.
OS9 doesn't have SMB networking built in.
That means that either your Windows server was running some special service for Mac, such as the Windows "Services for Macintosh", which turns a Windows shared folder into a Mac volume that understand Mac traditional files, or...
You had some software running on the Mac that turned Mac files into Windows files invisibly on the fly.

I think that after you switched to OSX your servers switched off the Services for Macintosh and let your OSX connect in the same way as a Windows machine would. That is fine for most software, but obviously not for Quark Express 6.

You may have to ask your admins to turn on Services for Macintosh again and connect to the server using AFP in future, as you used to do with OS9.
weird wabbit

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2004, 11:06 AM

Ok... the admin is telling me that you can either set up sharing as a Windows share or a Macintosh (or both). He said that he's set up the server for Macintosh shares. Also, he says he's never seen anything mentioned about Appletalk. Any help guys?

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 5, 2004, 02:17 PM

OK... he says we are running Phase 2 of AppleTalk... Supposedly, we should be able to connect via Appletalk... but, when I click on the server in the browse network (next to the other Macs which I can connect no problem) and try to log in, I get the "original item not found' error... but I can connect through SMB no prob (well, it's the root of most 6.1 problems)... SO, does anyone know how to make sure or to properly set up Mac Services on win 2k3? Please? Thanks!

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 6, 2004, 10:30 AM

I have no idea what phase 2 of Appletalk is supposed to be, but I'm glas that you found the problem to be with SMB. It's what I expected.

Not having used Win2k3 I can't say how to set this up (It was commandline based in Windows2000 server), but it seems it's now in Computer management->system tools->shared folders->configure file server for macintosh.

Microsoft's support site recommends you upgrade to the latest User Authentification Module on your Mac. To do that you'd have to download and install this file:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...SUAM_for_X.hqx
weird wabbit

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2004, 11:38 AM

XPress 6.5 is out. Maybe it fixes your problems THE MAC GOD?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 8, 2004, 12:52 PM

I have no idea what phase 2 of Appletalk is supposed to be, but I'm glas that you found the problem to be with SMB. It's what I expected.

Not having used Win2k3 I can't say how to set this up (It was commandline based in Windows2000 server), but it seems it's now in Computer management->system tools->shared folders->configure file server for macintosh.

Microsoft's support site recommends you upgrade to the latest User Authentification Module on your Mac. To do that you'd have to download and install this file:
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...SUAM_for_X.hqx
Hmm... Tried this and it connected and showed the old icons that we were used to and such... so I was excited... but then all quark files became text files (can open them by dragging them onto quark) and it randomly truncated file names down to 8 characters. Reconnected via old SMB method and the names were not truncated. What gives? I guess appletalk isnt the answer?
EDIT: Also, exporting as PDF after connected like this would either cause quark to crash or it would say that it couldn't create a PDF. Even to the local desktop. Connected via SMB again... and this went away. wtf?
( Last edited by THE MAC GOD; Nov 8, 2004 at 12:59 PM. )

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2004, 05:17 AM

Hmm... Tried this and it connected and showed the old icons that we were used to and such... so I was excited... but then all quark files became text files (can open them by dragging them onto quark) and it randomly truncated file names down to 8 characters. Reconnected via old SMB method and the names were not truncated. What gives? I guess appletalk isnt the answer?
EDIT: Also, exporting as PDF after connected like this would either cause quark to crash or it would say that it couldn't create a PDF. Even to the local desktop. Connected via SMB again... and this went away. wtf?
I'm a bit at a loss as to what the problem really is. I googled on it, and found this site: http://www.macwindows.com/Win2003.html
which describes some of the hassles with Services for Macintosh. You might try some of the things they mention, such as copying the appleshare folder to your mac.

However, the possible problems are numerous, and may involve things such as the following Win2k server to Win2k3 server upgrade (link) or simply the way the win2k3 SfM setup is done. There are numerous options in the setup of a Mac volumes on Win2k3 and I suggest that either your admin experiment a bit with the options, that he do a thorough search on Microsoft's support pages, that he call Microsoft, or that you use a 3rd party Win-Mac connection software such as ExtremeZ-IP which is supposed to eliminate all the hassles of Windows SFM problems. ExtremeZ-IP is expensive ($1399 for a 10-client licenece), but if it solves the problem (There is a free trial download available) then it would probably save you and your company many hours of support problems. The other options are using a Linux server with netatalk which does basically the same thing as Windows SFM, but your company might be against using a mixed server environment.
weird wabbit

Forum Links
Forum Rules