Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > I'm confused on what video card to get for a B&W G3?

I'm confused on what video card to get for a B&W G3?
marusin
Senior User
Oct 31, 2001, 12:15 PM

Hey everyone,

I picked up a B&W G3 (400mhz) without a hard drive or video card from work for $100.. Couldn't pass up the opportunity.. I borrowed an AGP video card from a similar Mac from work and was able to get a hard drive installed in it and everything up and running perfectly. Unfortunately, I had to return the video card and went on a quest to pick one up...

I went on eBay and found an ATI Rage 128 Pro video card that was AGP and seemed exactly like the one that I used to get my box up and running temporarily. What I found out is that it doesn't fit in my G3... The slot you plug it into is closer to the back opening and the slots are different sized.

Can some explain to me is there more than one type of AGP slot? What kind of card do I need to get to get this machine up and running? I'm not a gamer and don't need anything fancy. Just something for me to run OS 10.1 at 1024x768.. Also, it doesn't have to be an AGP card, I'm willing to use a PCI card since I have no other cards plugged in (and am not worried about taking up a slot)...

Any help would be great.. Thanks
-Mike

Mojo @ work
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 31, 2001, 01:04 PM

The Blue & White G3s don't have an AGP slot. You'll need to use a PCI video card.
-Mojo the Monkey

marusin  (op)
Senior User
Oct 31, 2001, 01:41 PM

What's the difference between the 3 or so bigger slots and the smaller one (which I was thinking was an AGP slot)? Are they different varieties of PCI slots?

[ 10-31-2001: Message edited by: marusin ]

Phoible
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2001, 12:43 AM

The last slot is a 66mhz PCI slot. Your video card should be a bit quicker if you put it in this slot (although not as fast as the AGP video cards). I would go for a cheap geforce2 mx PCI, which is faster than the ATI rage, and probably about the same price (and may support dualhead, depending on the configuration).

applenut1
Senior User
Nov 1, 2001, 02:22 AM

Originally posted by Phoible:
<STRONG>The last slot is a 66mhz PCI slot. Your video card should be a bit quicker if you put it in this slot (although not as fast as the AGP video cards). I would go for a cheap geforce2 mx PCI, which is faster than the ATI rage, and probably about the same price (and may support dualhead, depending on the configuration).</STRONG>
I wouldn't do that. that would require flashing the rom and possible headaches and dealing with horrible drivers.

a Radeon PCI would be the best option for you IMO. with that you get the best performance you'll ever get on your machine and only crappy drivers

Chito
Senior User
Nov 1, 2001, 10:45 AM

the blue and white doesn't have an agp slot. if you had it running it HAD to be a pci card. I just bought a radeon card for my yikes g4 and i LOVE it! I'll offer you a deal....since it sounds like you don't want to pony up almost $200 bucks for a radeon i'll sell you the card out of my g4. it works fine. it's an ati rage 128 with i think 16 meg vram....at least that's what i think the stock card had. tell you what i'll sell it to you for $25 if you'll pay for shipping. let me know if you're interested.
you can either post here or mail me at [email protected]
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

blakespot
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 1, 2001, 11:10 AM

The three longer slots in the B&W G3 are 64-bit PCI slots. That added piece allows for 64-bit PCI cards to be used in those slots (tho regular 32-bit PCI cards work fine in them). The smaller PCI slot is a 32-bit PCI slot, but it runs @ 66MHz, twice the PCI std. 33MHz speed. It's roughly the same speed as original AGP (AGP1x).

blakespot
iPodHacks.com -- http://www.ipodhacks.com

marusin  (op)
Senior User
Nov 1, 2001, 02:58 PM

Thanks for all the clarifications! Chito, you have mail..

-Mike

Forum Links
Forum Rules