Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Do You Celebrate Martin Luther King Day?

Do You Celebrate Martin Luther King Day?
ledzeppelin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2006, 03:27 AM

( Last edited by ledzeppelin; Jan 29, 2006 at 11:55 PM. )

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by ledzeppelin
I think giving someone a holiday to appease a small group of people is pretty ridiculous.
And what small group of people would that be?

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 16, 2006, 03:47 AM

I think he means "black" people.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 03:53 AM

If that's the case, it's no wonder he doesn't celebrate it. He doesn't know anything about Dr. King.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 16, 2006, 04:07 AM

Here's a wonderful photo of Mr King..

meelk
Baninated
Jan 16, 2006, 04:07 AM

Celebration would require me to believe his message meant something to blacks in general. It apparently did not. If MLK were alive today he would take the same stance against the continued stupidity of the black community that Bill Cosby has.

iNub
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 16, 2006, 04:45 AM

I think Dr. King is still one of the greatest people in American history, but I don't think we should be celebrating his life by skipping schoo and work on the day he was murdered.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2006, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by meelk
Celebration would require me to believe his message meant something to blacks in general. It apparently did not. If MLK were alive today he would take the same stance against the continued stupidity of the black community that Bill Cosby has.

Good thing generalizations aren't stupid!

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by iNub
I think Dr. King is still one of the greatest people in American history, but I don't think we should be celebrating his life by skipping schoo and work on the day he was murdered.
Looks like you've been skipping school more than that. This is an observation of his birthday (January 15). He was murdered in April. Go listen to "Pride (In the Name of Love)." As far as having the day off goes, you could volunteer or at least reflect on what King's message means to you.

Celebration would require me to believe his message meant something to blacks in general.
The hell? Here's a newsflash: King's message was universal. It's not about Blacks getting ahead. It's about all people being treated equally (and no, we aren't there yet). That's as noble a cause as I can imagine and it's definitely something that should be celebrated.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 10:06 AM

He was supposedly a 'minister' that was known for adulterous affairs with prostitutes.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jan 16, 2006, 10:08 AM

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by iNub
Umm dood, we are celebrating the day of his birth today, not of his death (which was in April). All of our holidays celebrate the designee's birth.

And, now that you mention it, I might swing by the Lincoln Memorial later today to see if anything is going on there related to the "I Have a Dream" speech.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by jcadam
He was supposedly a 'minister' that was known for adulterous affairs with prostitutes.
And? No one said he was perfect. The message is still valid and it's still something that should be celebrated.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 10:23 AM

Next thing you know we'll have "Reverend Jesse Jackson Day" I bet.

All joking aside, Dr. King was a great man.

Ham Sandwich
Jan 16, 2006, 10:35 AM

The fact that it's not his actual birthday but the third Monday on February that is celebrated in my mind, gives it less importance. It is one of those "three day weekend" holidays.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 10:38 AM

Do I celebrate it? No, but I don't think I neccessarily celebrate Labor Day, Memorial Day, & President's Day, either. I do respect what this day stands for.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2006, 10:41 AM

I blame Bush.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 10:46 AM

Don't blame Bush, blame Canada. Everyone can fall behind that.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 10:48 AM

It's pointless to me, but so are many of the "holidays" we "celebrate." I say get your arse in school and back to work.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2006, 10:49 AM

I might take my 7 month old to a parade for Dr. King in downtown Memphis later this morning. If we don't make it then I'll listen to one of his speaches or something.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 10:52 AM

Yes, because a 7 month old will get so much out of it.

/couldn't resist
//also doesn't understand people taking babies to Disney Land
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my band • my web site • my guitar effects • my photos • facebook • brightpoint

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
It's better than being left home alone.

JoshKurtz
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2006, 01:13 PM

You got me in a way. I'm not expecting him to remember any of it though. I'm white and his Momma's black so I want to start exposing him to people who preach and practice equality. If it wasn't for people like Dr. King my wife and I might be lynched just for being together.
We live outside of Memphis and it's a very segregated city. You've got black churches and white churches, black Masons and white Masons, .... I'd eventually like to raise him somewhere else but I figure that, while we have to be here, I want to start exposing him to some positive things in regard to race relations so he doesn't fall into the trap that so many people in this city (and this world) fall into.
I guess I just want to start today in order to practice for when he does understand.
iMac 17" 2GHz Core2Duo | 1GB RAM | 160GB hdd | Superdrive | Tiger and XP Pro

meelk
Baninated
Jan 16, 2006, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c
Good thing generalizations aren't stupid!
look at the ratio of blacks in jail to percentage of population. tell me its a generalization then.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2006, 01:20 PM

look at the ratio of blacks in jail to percentage of population. tell me its a generalization then.
Oh c'mon, there's a lot of mexicans in our prisons too.
Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

ReggieX
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ
Don't blame Bush, blame Canada. Everyone can fall behind that.
We don't celebrate it. You could blame us for that, I guess.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2006, 01:47 PM

Look at their social class, then get back to me.

There is nothing innate about their color of skin which results in them being thrown in jail, it's more of a rich vs. poor thing. People are more likely to turn to crime when there is little to lose, and I think this applies to all races.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 02:48 PM

There is nothing innate about their color of skin which results in them being thrown in jail, it's more of a rich vs. poor thing. People are more likely to turn to crime when there is little to lose, and I think this applies to all races.
The fact that he even implied that might just be the most ridiculous and repulsive thing I've ever heard.

meelk
Baninated
Jan 16, 2006, 03:19 PM

oh please. This is the dumbest liberal propaganda routine ive ever heard. Their social class my ass. My parents and grandparents and GREAT grandparents all grew up poor as dirt and none of them EVER turned to crime. That whole scenerio with "you are poor so you turn to crime" is a bunch of crap. You're making up an excuse.

and just to set you straight: by your own scenerio, there would be WAY more whites in jail than there would be blacks, as blacks are a *much* smaller percentage of the population.

Your arguement is critically flawed.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2006, 03:40 PM

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 16, 2006, 03:41 PM

oh please. This is the dumbest liberal propaganda routine ive ever heard. Their social class my ass. My parents and grandparents and GREAT grandparents all grew up poor as dirt and none of them EVER turned to crime. That whole scenerio with "you are poor so you turn to crime" is a bunch of crap. You're making up an excuse.

and just to set you straight: by your own scenerio, there would be WAY more whites in jail than there would be blacks, as blacks are a *much* smaller percentage of the population.

Ahhh... we're getting to the core of this now! Somehow, this has become a partisan issue, and well, can't be a part of anything that comes from the other team, right? And, even if this issue isn't partisan (such as this), we better make it one to help explain why you would disagree with somebody, right? All of those commies^H^H^H^hliberals out to get everybody else, and make the world a lesser place!

I didn't say that growing up poor will automatically lead to a life in crime. I'm saying that various pressures including social class, parenting, quality of life, traumatic experiences, etc. often provide the conditions which lead to these sort of crimes. These are also the same conditions which help spawn terrorism. Since I wasn't expecting your response, I simplified this list under the umbrella "social class".

Your argument that skin pigmentation leads to jail time is far more flawed than my argument even stated poorly would ever be. If you continue with that line of reasoning, you'll have to find some other person who is willing to listen to this tripe.
( Last edited by besson3c; Jan 16, 2006 at 04:06 PM. )

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2006, 04:04 PM

I think that the beliefs of Martin Luther are good for all of us to follow. He believed in working with others.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Forum Links
Forum Rules