Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Could my keyboard be crashing my Mac?

Could my keyboard be crashing my Mac?
surfacto
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 27, 2002, 01:59 PM

I have a dual 450, OS 10.1.5. Something seems wrong with my keyboard. sometimes the mouse and keys will freeze, no longer respond. Unplugging the mouse from the keyboard and reinserting doesn't help, but unplugging the keyboard and reinserting in the USB port solves the problem temporarily.

Sometimes, when the keyboard freezes, a kernel panic follows. So the problem is either with the USB port or the keyboard. Has anyone seen this before? Will a new keyboard solve my problem?

chromos
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2002, 02:49 AM

My friend has a flat-panel iMac where the cord to the mouse was wearing out -- the cursor would move sporadically etc. He kept complaining about kernel panics until he changed his mouse. So I can totally believe the symptoms you're seeing as being a keyboard problem.

tomra
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 28, 2002, 08:19 AM

Hi.

I had the same problems with my mouse and keyboard, but this was under OS.9. Usually it was the mouse which freezed, but it did also happen with the keyboard on occasion. Replacing them fixed it!

Tom.

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2002, 12:55 PM

I had a broken wire on my mouse that was wreaking havoc on my duallie.
Fixed that and cut off about 6 feet on the Intellimouse Explorer in the process, and all is good again.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2002, 03:19 PM

My mouse was causing Kernel Panics. I plugged it into my mom's new LCD iMac and crashed her's, which has never crashed (becaues I do not mess with the system),

I went the Apple Store and they gave me a new one because I still had warranty. the guy there said i had a dead mouse.

So yeah, bring it to an Apple Store

Forum Links
Forum Rules