Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Temperature Safety/Desert Heat/Saddlebag Issues?

Temperature Safety/Desert Heat/Saddlebag Issues?
Headshot
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2007, 03:43 PM

I'm planning on taking off from Chicago across country on my Harley and would like to bring either my PB or a MBP in my saddlebags. Anyone know what the safest transporting (OFF!) temperature is?
I don't wanna fry anything, but thought as hot as these things get while running normally, they might be able to stand being off at 110˚ or a bit higher? I' mjust worried about getting into the desert climates of UT, AZ and NV...

thanks!

D'Espice
Mac Elite
May 11, 2007, 04:07 PM

You should be fine. There are people who've travelled the Sahara and other deserts and took their Power/iBooks on said trip. Hence 110° should not harm your Laptop at all. After all, some parts of it tend to get a LOT hotter when running
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Headshot  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2007, 12:56 PM

That's what I thought. Black Pleather is probably the worst material to let stuff bake in. It's not so much short jaunts from plac eto place I'm worried about, it's stopping for a couple hours to do some hiking or eating and leaving them in the sun! Problem is it's never gonna get that hot here (before then) that I can measure the temp in the bags...

good point though, thanks!

phoenix78
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2007, 07:46 AM

The only component i imagine would suffer from high temperatures is the LCD. I also imagine that it may not be good for the battery but i could be wrong there...

Usually that LCD never runs hot even during intense computations. So leaving it in a bag in the sun is strongly NOT advised.

I would make sure that it is not inside a sealed container that is exposed to the sun. This will make it bake. Rather have it as a separate container but under something else so its container is shielded from direct sunlight. This will hopefully stop it getting hotter than it would otherwise. Also, while riding it will get cooled by the air

Hope that made some sense Happy road tripping!

Rob.

Forum Links
Forum Rules