Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > real one player and expose

real one player and expose
hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 8, 2003, 10:11 PM

I played a streamed real video today and when i hit f-9 to show all windows, and the real video window did not come up. Has anyone experience that and confim that?

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 8, 2003, 10:18 PM

Indeed it goes away. Expos� apparently thinks it's a palette. Real needs to fix this.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

mchladek
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 01:26 AM

Yeah, that was one of the first things I noticed when I got Panther. I wrote feedback to both Real and Apple. Although I know Apple can't do anything about it hopefully they could pressure Real into fixing it.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 9, 2003, 09:00 AM

Originally posted by Developer:
Indeed it goes away. Expos� apparently thinks it's a palette. Real needs to fix this.
Unless Real rewrites One in Cocoa it won't happen fast. If you have apps that don't participate in Expose it is because they are Carbon or Classic apps. Expose only supports Cocoa apps as far as I know.

pat++
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 09:06 AM

Originally posted by Podolsky:
Unless Real rewrites One in Cocoa it won't happen fast. If you have apps that don't participate in Expose it is because they are Carbon or Classic apps. Expose only supports Cocoa apps as far as I know.
NO. NO. NO. Please stop saying that kind of things when you obviously don't know anything. Carbon/Classic has nothing to do with Expos�. Photoshop, IE, Finder, Office X are all Carbon apps and they do work with Expos�. Please stop saying that writing everything in Cocoa will fix every bugs on the planet. I guess the issue with Real One is just that they use a palette window for their player, and that's why it goes away.
( Last edited by pat++; Nov 9, 2003 at 09:40 AM. )

Henriok
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 9, 2003, 10:06 AM

If it was a palette it wouldt show if you switched to another app, but it does.

I'm really baffled by MS and Real.. They try to make a media player that's good, but they always end up screwing things up. Why can't they simply use PB/IF like everyone else? The secret with their apps are the codecs and they must be quite modular. If they can't make a good media player (and that seems to be the case) why on earth don't they do plugins to QuickTime?
- Henrik

Twilly Spree
Senior User
Nov 9, 2003, 10:41 AM

M$ should just make a WMV plugin for QT. But that is as likely as Apple making a QT plugin for WiMP.

hardcat1970  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 9, 2003, 11:32 AM

the pc people always telling me that wmp ver9 is better than quicktime, especially on live streaming, however i installed the wmp9 and it still couldn't play instant-on the right way. Quicktime works as advertised, but definitely not happening in wmp, it always buffering...

i wonder if it is because it is not working on a mac or will it perform better in windows?

Forum Links
Forum Rules