Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Team MacNN created for proteins@home

Team MacNN created for proteins@home
zombie67
Senior User
Dec 4, 2006, 11:39 PM

FYI

Also, is there an official "keeper of the teams", that I should transfer this to? I think I also am the owner for Docking@Home too.

reader50
Administrator
Dec 5, 2006, 03:06 AM

A few years ago, me and Scott were trying to gather copies of all the team access codes. On some projects, this allowed us to upload team logos, links, and quotes. Not all projects allowed that, and we haven't been trying to assemble teams access lately.

Several years ago, The Register's SETI Classic team vanished. Apparently, someone either guessed an easy password, or someone other than them founded it. Whichever it was, the founder of a team can disband it and someone did just that. They had to found a new team and try to notify everyone to rejoin.

If a team founder wanted to be really annoying, they could bounce random people now and then (or not-so-random people). And the founder can see the registration email address for all members on most projects.

We have not been bitten so far, but we should probably go back to collecting team access passcodes. The simplest method would be for me or Scott to found each new team. Scott was busy with school, and my old setup wouldn't run BOINC at the time, which is why people started founding our teams on all the new projects.

You can send such account info my way if you like, my HDs have held up better than Scott's lately. It helps to not move every 1-2 years. If you do send Founder info our way, it would be best to create a separate account for your personal use. It's not exactly fair for us to have access to your personal account.

Note: On BOINC projects, the founder can release a departing member's credits by kicking them off the team. It's the only way I know of to un-hostage someone's credits on most BOINC projects. I was going to offer that to Gecko_r7, but fortunately checked first to make sure I could still get in. We have the passcode for the SETI Classic team, but the Berkeley guys assigned a new password to the BOINC version of the team - the Classic password doesn't work at all.

The registration email box doesn't exist today. We'll have to sweet talk a MacNN server admin into temporarily recreating that email box, in order to get back SETI team access. I don't know when that will happen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules