Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > G4 board in G3 case?

G4 board in G3 case?
unisphere
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 13, 2006, 01:08 AM

anyone have any idea whether this would work?
ive got a lombard that i use regularly, but wouldnt mind throwing a 12" ibook or powerbook board in to speed it up. i know id have to mod the back of the case to fit the different ports, but is there anything else i need to know? i assume a newer processor will support the older display in the lombard, but not entirely sure if everything else will be copacetic.

thanks

edit: one problem so far: the ibook boards dont look like theyd fit the lombard's trackpad...
( Last edited by unisphere; Oct 13, 2006 at 01:37 AM. )

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 13, 2006, 01:56 PM

You'd need side ports. Turn the board so the ports are at the back and you have a power connector in the front. So basically, no.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2006, 03:30 PM

The display cable might be different at the panel end, you might need an iBook LCD to go with it (the 14" LCD will run off a 12" board as long as you have the 14" cable). You might be better off with the board mounted the proper way around, but in order to avoid the battery bay, you might struggle with the length of the optical drive cable being too short. Its mounted further forward in the Lombard than it is in an iBook.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 13, 2006, 05:51 PM

If someone has put a Celeron D in a G3 blue and white, I am sure that a G4 work work InsanelyMac

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2006, 06:05 AM

These things are a little trickier with laptops, but it can certainly be done......

gooser
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 14, 2006, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by unisphere
anyone have any idea whether this would work?
ive got a lombard that i use regularly, but wouldnt mind throwing a 12" ibook or powerbook board in to speed it up. i know id have to mod the back of the case to fit the different ports, but is there anything else i need to know? i assume a newer processor will support the older display in the lombard, but not entirely sure if everything else will be copacetic.

thanks

edit: one problem so far: the ibook boards dont look like theyd fit the lombard's trackpad...
why don't you just buy an ibook or powerbook? be a whole lot less trouble.
imac g3 600
imac g4 800 superdrive
ibook 466

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 14, 2006, 03:14 PM

Some of us actually enjoy the modding part. Any f***wit can spend money on a ready made one.

(Thats not meant to be a personal attack by the way.)

I believe both those trackpads are based on ADB, so you should be able to rewire one to fit the other with some work.
( Last edited by Waragainstsleep; Oct 14, 2006 at 03:32 PM. )

unisphere  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2006, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by gooser
why don't you just buy an ibook or powerbook? be a whole lot less trouble.
find me a g4 800+ mhz ibook or powerbook for less than $250, and maybe i'll agree with you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules