Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Screwed up after unplugged emac

Screwed up after unplugged emac
Matt OS X
Mac Elite
May 21, 2005, 08:33 PM

My fiancee own 700 mhz, OS X 10.3.9 eMac.

She shut down her emac properly and unplugged the emac to move it to another room and it hasn't been powered on for about 10 hours until finally she turned it on, the Safari bookmarks disappeared back to oringial safari bookmarks and, Stickies notes disappeared back to orginial, desktop returned back to her previous wallpaper.

Also when she clicked on iChat 2.1 the window appeared as new login user. She was puzzled, why did all her safari bookmarks, Stickies disappeared?!

Is it because her emac battery inside died so it couldn't restore all info when unplugged? Maybe it has to do something with user's file? I donno. HeLP!

Help to recover these important files back?

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

ApplCmptrDood
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2005, 12:30 AM

Did you rename the Macintosh HD to something different before se shut it down? If so, uh oh! I dont' know how to fix it, but i know not to do it.
Apparently, I'm a sig violator. I feel honored. Oops.

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
May 22, 2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by ApplCmptrDood
Did you rename the Macintosh HD to something different before se shut it down? If so, uh oh! I dont' know how to fix it, but i know not to do it.
She definitely didn't do that. She said she didn't change a name at all.

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

ApeInTheShell
Senior User
May 22, 2005, 04:08 PM

I would try selecting importing bookmarks from the file menu. Navigate to /use/Library/Safari/Bookmark.plist.
Open that fiel by double clicking and see if it brings up your old bookmarks.
Otherwisem did you back up your bookmarks and remember your preferences like names and passwords beforehand.

I'm curious. Why did you wait 10 hours before powering your computer on? Seems like a long time to wait. I turn off my computer everynight at about 10 p.m. and it remembers its preferences. Probably because it is still plugged into the wall but my surge protector is hooked up to the main plug. Restart your computer and see if it brings up the right preferences. Besides backups I could only reccomending visiting Apple's support forums. They might have an answer.

Forum Links
Forum Rules