Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro Purchase Question

MacBook Pro Purchase Question
skoolsux360
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2008, 10:39 PM

Hi, I'm in the position to purchase a 17" MBP. My question is how much more is the 2.4ghz over the 2.33? I know both will be powerful enough for my normal work, but I'm more worried about gaming.
( Last edited by skoolsux360; Jan 2, 2008 at 01:33 AM. )

Googer-Giger
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 1, 2008, 11:04 PM

You won't see much of a gaming difference, the most crucial element for gaming right now is the video card, but the 8600m's have a decent amount of video ram so you should be good no matter what option you choose.
I miss the days of the G5 and XPS Pentium 4 running side by side as high-end machines.

skoolsux360  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 1, 2008, 11:23 PM

awesome. thanks.
which one actually has a better graphics card?

Cold Warrior
Jan 1, 2008, 11:45 PM

According to the online Apple Store, the only GPU a 17" comes with is the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM. The high-end 15" also comes with it.

skoolsux360  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2008, 12:03 AM

i believe the 2.33 ghz model has the ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 256mb. But the new 2.4 has the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM.

Cold Warrior
Jan 2, 2008, 12:10 AM

I went to the Apple Store web page, clicked on the 17" MBP, and only saw the 8600M GT as an option.

Am I missing something?

skoolsux360  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2008, 01:03 AM

the mbp was updated in june from 2.33ghz to 2.4.
they also changed the graphics card

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Jan 2, 2008, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by skoolsux360 View Post
i believe the 2.33 ghz model has the ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 graphics with 256mb. But the new 2.4 has the NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics with 256MB SDRAM.
Coldwarrior is right, the NVIDIA is the only GPU available.

From apple's own MBP page
Low end 15" MBP: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 128MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI
High end MBPs (both 15 & 17") NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT with 256MB of GDDR3 SDRAM and dual-link DVI

mbp specs

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 2, 2008, 10:08 AM

Obviously the OP is comparing the current 17" (2.4 GHz and 8600M GT) with the previous generation 17" (2.33 GHz and X1600).

The current MBP certainly does have a superior GPU and since the OP said he's worried about games, I'd definitely go with the current MBP. Even more so since the last generation model only supports 3 GB RAM while the current model will take 2x2GB. IMHO those are the important differences whereas in everyday work you won't notice the 67 MHz CPU clock speed difference. I'd definitely go with the 2.4 GHz model.

skoolsux360  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 2, 2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Obviously the OP is comparing the current 17" (2.4 GHz and 8600M GT) with the previous generation 17" (2.33 GHz and X1600).

The current MBP certainly does have a superior GPU and since the OP said he's worried about games, I'd definitely go with the current MBP. Even more so since the last generation model only supports 3 GB RAM while the current model will take 2x2GB. IMHO those are the important differences whereas in everyday work you won't notice the 67 MHz CPU clock speed difference. I'd definitely go with the 2.4 GHz model.
Thank you,
you answered my question perfectly.
So 2.4ghz it is.

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2008, 07:39 PM

I agree regarding buying the latest MBP but whatever you do, wait. Mac Expo SF is in 12 days and even if MBP upgrades are not introduced the Mac landscape always changes.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Jan 2, 2008 at 07:50 PM. )

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 2, 2008, 08:05 PM

I agree with Allen. There's a decent chance that the MacBook Pro will be updated, but even if it doesn't happen, I think two weeks isn't too long to wait. That's what I'd do.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 3, 2008, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by SierraDragon View Post
I agree regarding buying the latest MBP but whatever you do, wait. Mac Expo SF is in 12 days and even if MBP upgrades are not introduced the Mac landscape always changes.
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I agree with Allen. There's a decent chance that the MacBook Pro will be updated, but even if it doesn't happen, I think two weeks isn't too long to wait. That's what I'd do.
Acer, Fujitsu, HP, Lenovo, Sony, and Toshiba's Penryn laptops just leaked, so we should have Penryn MBPs in... 2 months?

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 4, 2008, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Yep, this is good advice.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 4, 2008, 10:17 AM

Add to the above advice the VERY short wait time in case there is indeed an update. If we were having this discussion in August, that would be different, but we're talking about ten days at this point-definitely a "wait and see" situation. Good luck on it too!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules