Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Which Powerbook for me ?

Which Powerbook for me ?
anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2003, 07:52 PM

Hey all, I am kinda at a bit of a dilemma. I am always traveling, and I want a laptop to take with me. The main use for this machine will be wireless internet (at home) and DVD use on the road. I may want to play with photoshop down the road, but I'm not sure about that yet. The question I pose to you is what book should I get ? There is a budget though. I really want to stay in the 15-1700 price range. I know that I can get at least a 667 Ti from smalldog for that price, and I can also get the 12" in the same price range. Also, maybe one last thought...do I really need a Powerbook or would an iBook work well for me. I really have Ti Widescreen envy though..... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anim8r

badnewsblair
Senior User
Feb 28, 2003, 08:12 PM

I'm new here. And in fact I don't own a single Mac <i>yet</i>. I have a 17-incher on order. Waiting patiently. But I digress.

Bootm line, I think you should go with a 12-incher because of its portability. However, if you are looking to do more than just beginner photoshop, the screen will be too small in my opinion. Have you gone and played with both at the Apple store? I think you should. The 12-incher is just too small to do a lot of photoshopping and other screen real estate intensive programs on in my opinion. Hope that helps a little.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

BkueKanoodle
Senior User
Feb 28, 2003, 08:12 PM

Sounds almost like you answered your own question. While the 12 inch is extremely portable, if you have wide screen envy you may find yourself always wishing you had got the tibook. While some people will say get a 12 with an external monitor, that won't help you with the cost. Any of these machines, including the ibook will meet your needs now. The question is, what do you think your needs are a year from now. Don't let people tell you the 15 inch isn't portable, because MOST people carry around a 14 or 15 inch laptop every day. From what you said, it sounds like the 12 inch would be great for you, but if the wide screen really appeals to you, so would the 15 inch.

It comes down to, how much is that wide screen worth to you. I know that I chose a tibook over the 12 inch, but I don't travel s much and I needed something beefer. Even now though, I still gaze longingly at the 12 inch sometimes. But then again I mostly carry my 1gh tibook back and forth to work.

badnewsblair
Senior User
Feb 28, 2003, 08:15 PM

BkueKanoodle has it right. It comes down to the screen.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

macuserMDM
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2003, 09:13 PM

I'm in a similar position. I want the portibility of the 12, but the expansion and power of the 15. I want the 1 gig processor. I want the 1 meg of L3 cashe. I want the 1 gig memory. I want the PCMIA card slot. So, I'm going with the 15 Tibook.

Do i need all of that now? No. But, will I need that later. Yes.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2003, 10:03 PM

If you just going to watch DVD's and surf, with ocassional heavy work, I'd get an iBook. Unless the widescreen wins out

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2003, 11:03 PM

I have been using a 12" Ibook since I switched in August and recently got a TiBook and am in the same situation as you. I travel a lot.

Now that I have the big screen I can never go back. Sitting in a hotel room or on a jobsite trolling the net or working is much nicer with the TI.

If you want to try an IBook though,I posted mine today for sale.

I even prefer the keyboard and overall form factor of the TiBook and it is a lot faster too.

It is not any heavier it seems but harder to get into a case that will protect it. I will work that out though.

Good Luck
Ed

Patcarla
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2003, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by anim8ing:
Hey all, I am kinda at a bit of a dilemma. I am always traveling, and I want a laptop to take with me. The main use for this machine will be wireless internet (at home) and DVD use on the road. I may want to play with photoshop down the road, but I'm not sure about that yet. The question I pose to you is what book should I get ? There is a budget though. I really want to stay in the 15-1700 price range. I know that I can get at least a 667 Ti from smalldog for that price, and I can also get the 12" in the same price range. Also, maybe one last thought...do I really need a Powerbook or would an iBook work well for me. I really have Ti Widescreen envy though..... Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anim8r
Sure a Tibook is better than a ibook...
But if you plan to use it only for traveling and surfing, get a 12" ibook for $1300, it's more than enough. Spend the rest of the money on let's say an airport base so you can surf on your ibook everywhere at home...Plus if you want to use your notebook on the plane (and if you travel in coach..) the smaller, the better...
Powerbook 1.67ghz 15" (100GB HD, 128MB VRAM, 1.5GB RAM)

anim8ing  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2003, 01:21 AM

You all make great points. I think that unless I can get a good deal on a older PBG4, I'll end up with the 800 ibook combo. I just wish it supported Airport Extreme...I don't really know when the new revision of the ibook will be out though. Anyway Thanks for all the comments, and I look forward to reading even more.

Anim8r

jeffcoop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 2, 2003, 09:20 AM

Regular Airport is faster than cable or DSL internet connections, so unless you're planning to move a lot of files around on a wireless network, I don't think you should worry about the difference between Airport and Airport Extreme.

Forum Links
Forum Rules