Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Going to Austin, need advice.

Going to Austin, need advice.
kernokerno
Jul 7, 2007, 11:40 PM

Hi.
I'm going alone to Austin, TX (never been there before).

I don't have too much time to know the city. I'm free: FRI: 07:00 - 16:00 then I can go to bars and stuff at night, SAT: all day long until 22:00 I guess).

I would be great to know at least the more important places. If you know a link with information.. Please!!

Some questions I have: Is Capital Metro actually free? How's the weather there in September? Any of the CM routes go until the mall's Apple Store?
Where are the not-very-expensive bars and clubs?

Add whatever you want in here.

Thank you all.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 7, 2007, 11:46 PM

All I know is that I really like the city (been there only twice), and it's going to still be very hot in September.

Hopefully someone else can come in here and give you some locations to visit.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jul 7, 2007, 11:49 PM

I think we need a porter.

highstakes
Senior User
Jul 8, 2007, 02:40 AM

Just visit 6th street/avenue (forgot which one it was); and there were all these good bars and restaurants. I loved Austin, hope to go there again someday

λόγος
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2007, 03:44 AM

My advice would be to not go to Austin.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 8, 2007, 01:08 PM

Austin is a great place! 6th Street rocks most of the week, and on weekends you might not be able to walk much because of the crowds-it's that popular, and with good reason. There are a ton of places to go see and do, lots of places to eat, to shop, to hear music, drink, etc. Check out the Visit Austin web site for a pretty comprehensive listing of what to do in the "live music capital of the world." It is, too.

Capital Metro is NOT free. But it is one of the better bus systems around, especially compared to what we have here in San Antonio! You'll enjoy the ride anywhere downtown because it's a very pretty downtown. Outside the built up places, the views are great too. There are bus routes to at least one mall with an Apple Store: Barton Creek Square Mall has the first one in town. The other one is in "The Domain," (which sounds just plain snooty because it is...), and there are also routes there, but I haven't been there to report on the shopping center or the store.

Enjoy Austin-that's what it's there for!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

macroy
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2007, 07:16 PM

I enjoyed my time in Austin. We were there for to do a security review of the State Tax agency....stayed at the Renaissance just outside of the city (or outside of downtown).

In any case, I just remember chewies (I'm sure that's not the spelling of it.. but its where the Bush twins got busted for fake IDs) and the county line. Both places had great food.
Then head over towards 6th st. I don't remember too much of it... but Texas can have the worst IT security, and I wouldn't of caught anything - I was so hammered the next day.

kernokerno  (op)
Jul 8, 2007, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Austin is a great place! 6th Street rocks most of the week, and on weekends you might not be able to walk much because of the crowds-it's that popular, and with good reason. There are a ton of places to go see and do, lots of places to eat, to shop, to hear music, drink, etc. Check out the Visit Austin web site for a pretty comprehensive listing of what to do in the "live music capital of the world." It is, too.

Capital Metro is NOT free. But it is one of the better bus systems around, especially compared to what we have here in San Antonio! You'll enjoy the ride anywhere downtown because it's a very pretty downtown. Outside the built up places, the views are great too. There are bus routes to at least one mall with an Apple Store: Barton Creek Square Mall has the first one in town. The other one is in "The Domain," (which sounds just plain snooty because it is...), and there are also routes there, but I haven't been there to report on the shopping center or the store.

Enjoy Austin-that's what it's there for!
I guess what i saw as free were the "dillos" and some of them are seasonal.

After I posted the thread, I started to look for places in google earth and found a lot of them interesting.

Thank you all for the replies

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Oct 30, 2007, 05:23 PM

I reviving this because I am thinking of MOVING to Austin, TX to pursue and advertising career and I am wondering if anyone has ideas on neighborhoods, property tax rates and the overall living there life.

Forum Links
Forum Rules