Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > burn'n cd from the desktop

burn'n cd from the desktop
perceptual
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 26, 2001, 12:02 PM

I saw in the keynote that Steve Jobs burned a cd from the desktop he simply loaded a blank cd and it appeared on the desktop he then dragged files to it then selected eject and he was then prompted with a would you like to burn cd message. I tried this with a new G4 433 and it just asked if I wanted to initialize the disc when I put in a blank cd. Is there a trick to this or is it not a feature of OS9.1 but of OSX.

thanks
holmes

rjenkinson
Professional Poster
Jan 26, 2001, 12:13 PM

it's not a built-in feature of OS 9.1... you need to install the disc burner software (and possibly itunes? i don't use either so i'm not sure).

-r.

slider
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2001, 06:54 PM

Has Apple posted 3rd party CD-R / CD-RW support yet? If not does anyone know what the actual dates of releases are? I know that they said they plan on releases within the next 60 to 90 days, but I wanted to know something more specific. Also, those that have purchased one to the 466 or 533 G4's, has anyone tried to use retrospect with this software?

xyber233
Mac Elite
Jan 26, 2001, 08:22 PM

snodman
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2001, 11:07 PM

The latest version of Retrospect (and Retrospect Express) for the Mac does not support *any* internal IDE (ATAPI) CDRW. Dantz does support internal CDRW IDE drives in their Windows products. Since I installed a Sony CRX 145E in my PCI G4 I even asked Dantz straight out about support since all the newest Apple G4s are shipping with internal IDE Sony CDRWs. They told me that they do not currently support any IDE drives mounted internally in Macs (the same IDE drive works fine if you stick it into a $150 external firewire case and connect with firewire) and that they do not comment on future product features. Obviously Dantz will very likely update thier software since including CDRWs in every new Mac will grow the market for backup software by tons. Either that or Apple pulls a SoundJam/iTools and gives away a CDRW backup program.

[This message has been edited by snodman (edited 01-26-2001).]

Forum Links
Forum Rules