Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ADC student membership

ADC student membership
Xaaron Swiftblade
Aug 23, 2003, 10:16 AM

Hi all, I'm looking to get a new G5 sometime soon, and it'll be my first mac. I have little programming experience, but I'm interested in the ADC student membership. But looking at the site I can't find what is actually entailed in joining. Do you just pay the $99 and that's it? I understand you get updates and free things and big discounts (I'd be lying if I said the discounts weren't what first peaked my interest); but are you assigned projects or is anything expected of you?

Well, thanx in advance,
XSwift

malson
Senior User
Aug 23, 2003, 11:34 AM

All you do is sign up through the website amd submit your payment. The ADC program will then contact you to verify that you are a student. You will have to fax in a copy of your schedule and a copy of your student ID. Once they verify that info, you will have all the benefits that come with the program. They don't assign any work to you or ask you to develop anything. They will send you monthly mailings with developer tools and occasionally the latest system updates. I've been a member for several years now. I originally signed up in order to get the hardware discount on my Dual 800 G4. Go for it...
Yeah, about those TPS reports, didn't you get the memo?
--------------
2.3 Ghz Dual-Core G5/20" LCD/Life is Good!
Moo...

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2003, 11:41 AM

ADC is a group of Apple Developers that get great benefits upon joining, and although joining is expensive for most, you can get these benefits for only $99 if you're enrolled in a college even part time, regardless of class load or class scheduling. One of the greatest benefits is a one-time 20% off discount on the purchase of an Apple computer & Apple accessories. Here's how you can join:

"Just go to http://connect.apple.com and select "Join" to purchase a Student Membership. Put a Student Membership in your cart and "Check-Out". Pay your $99, fill out all the info. it asks (including your Student ID [many universities, including my own, simply use your Social Security # as your ID, so if you're unsure, check into it first] at your college, this is very important), and order it. You'll then be instantly ready to purchase via the Student Discount. You do so by heading HERE and click that banner that says "ADC Hardware Purchase Program" to enter the ADC Store. Wowww look at the pretty prices!

Okay, after you're through gawking, get to ordering! Just put whatever you want in your cart, and make absolute *SURE!* you get everything you need, because once the order is placed, that discount is FOREVER gone, regardless of what you "forgot" to order at the time of purchase. Too, many things in accessories won't be discounted, as it's the Apple-made hardware that's discounted. For instance, a Microsoft mouse will be the same price through the ADC store as the normal one, so don't be shocked, only Apple stuff is discounted, but even the small things like Power Adapters, batteries, etc. are discounted if made by Apple.

Then, place your order, give them your name, shipping info., credit card info., etc. and you're set! Things will begin to ship as they become available. In about a week or two you'll get an email from Apple requesting a FAX from you to them with your College letter of Acceptance (original, no copies) OR your current Class Schedule from your University, PLUS your Student ID card or Driver's License. Also, if you want to type out a page stating your full name, address, and your ADC Membership Confirmation Number (that'll be included in the email they'll send you after you've paid your $99 to confirm that you're in) and fax that page too, it speeds up there confirmation process. Once that's in to Apple, they won't email you telling you it's done, but keep a check on your account at connect.apple.com, and you'll see your Assets (ADC Student Membership and ADC Mailings) become updated w/ a current date, which will be the date they confirmed you after your faxes. This confirmation of faxes allows them to start sending your monthly mailings of free code, free info., free t-shirts, free programs, etc. for a one-year period (very cool stuff!). After that one-year, you can renew for $99 for another year, and you'll continue to get all your monthly goodies, but you will NOT ever receive another 20% discount, even with renewing. That discount is for joiners only, unfortunately, so use it very wisely!"

If you have any other questions, just let me know and I'll be glad to help!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Jan Van Boghout
Aug 23, 2003, 01:32 PM

I'm gonna sign up with the Student Program too, but I have a different question. Do you have to use the discount in the first year? I am planning on using it, but for whatever I will buy after the one I'll be buying soon.

Also, you get all OS releases too, so you never lose money anyway

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Aug 23, 2003, 02:00 PM

You don't have to use it in your first year, however, I think that if you don't, you HAVE to renew ($99 again) to make the discount active for another year. Plus, you have to be college at the time you take advantage of it.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 24, 2003, 12:32 PM

Now why is it that with ADC select (one level higher than ADC student), you get no hardware discounts at all?

Here's the description of ADC Select:

"One-year program membership with access to a SELECT bundle of technical and marketing benefits, including:
Mac OS X and Mac OS X Developer Tools on CD-ROM
One (1) ADC Select Mailing Subscription
Two (2) Technical Support Incidents
ADC Software Seeding Program
ADC Compatibility Labs Access
ADC Select Technical and Business Discounts"

You're paying 5X the cost of a student membership, yet getting no discount. Odd.

edit: Now I'm assuming that the last line is only when they run promotions or last-minute specials. Anyone care to elaborate especially if they're ADC select members?
F = ma

Jan Van Boghout
Aug 24, 2003, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by milhous:
Now why is it that with ADC select (one level higher than ADC student), you get no hardware discounts at all?

Here's the description of ADC Select:

"One-year program membership with access to a SELECT bundle of technical and marketing benefits, including:
Mac OS X and Mac OS X Developer Tools on CD-ROM
One (1) ADC Select Mailing Subscription
Two (2) Technical Support Incidents
ADC Software Seeding Program
ADC Compatibility Labs Access
ADC Select Technical and Business Discounts"

You're paying 5X the cost of a student membership, yet getting no discount. Odd.

edit: Now I'm assuming that the last line is only when they run promotions or last-minute specials. Anyone care to elaborate especially if they're ADC select members?
Select members do get a discount, even yearly, but not the first year. First you pay $500 for a one year membership, then starting from the first renewal (so the second year) you also get the hardware discount. For one system I believe.

alien
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2003, 03:41 PM

Maybe the best thing with the ADC student membership is that you can apply for a WWDC scholarship. I went to SF this year, and it was great. Lot's of goodies too!

You'll receive a CD each month, a DVD every quarter, containing code examples and stuff. Personally I'm more into numerical work, so I haven't used them that much.

Anyway, since it's only $99 it's a great deal since the OS upgrade typically is at $129.

Miles Davis
Aug 29, 2003, 01:11 AM

Originally posted by alien:
Maybe the best thing with the ADC student membership is that you can apply for a WWDC scholarship. I went to SF this year, and it was great. Lot's of goodies too!

You'll receive a CD each month, a DVD every quarter, containing code examples and stuff. Personally I'm more into numerical work, so I haven't used them that much.

Anyway, since it's only $99 it's a great deal since the OS upgrade typically is at $129.

Do you think if you bought a portable and an iPod you would be eligible for the $200 rebate as well (if you bought thru ADC)?

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2003, 06:39 AM

With the ADC Student membership do you get the pre-release software?
we don't have time to stop for gas

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2003, 07:45 AM

Originally posted by milhous:
Because students need more money for beer and real people all earn enough for everything they need?

Link
Professional Poster
Aug 29, 2003, 08:09 AM

I might get my bro signed up for this soon.. too bad high school students don't qualify
Aloha

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2003, 09:08 AM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
With the ADC Student membership do you get the pre-release software?
ADC Student membership does not include an ADC Seed Key. I think both Select and Premier include 5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules