Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Direcway/broadband Browsing Problems

Direcway/broadband Browsing Problems
ricm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2003, 02:15 AM

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.

I had a Direcway 6000 system installed several weeks ago and have been unable to access several important non-secure websites such as Macmall, Ebay pages, etc. No problems with my dialup ISP but Direcway either loads a portion of a page and then craps out or fails to access the page altogether. Also once accessed some but not all pages/forums work. I had to switch to my dialup in order to access macnn's forums - I could load the main page but not any of the forum links.

I've spent several hours with Direcway TS without a fix.
I'm ready to bail but was told that I'll be responsible for a $375 install fee!

I'm using Explorer 5.2/ OS9 or X. Tried dumping cookies, clearing cache/history, every combination of TCP/IP, proxy, security setting, etc.

I refuse to pay $60/month and have to retain my dialup just to access several key sites. But it's sure faster than my puny 13K dialup!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Bit Density
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 19, 2003, 03:57 AM

just a guess. What happens if you try and load the pages with the IP address instead of the name?

It may be necessary to create a .hosts file of the sites that you like the best. Or you may try a different DNS server, that may work better than the ones that you DHCP to.

Just guessing

Originally posted by ricm:
Sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum.

I had a Direcway 6000 system installed several weeks ago and have been unable to access several important non-secure websites such as Macmall, Ebay pages, etc. No problems with my dialup ISP but Direcway either loads a portion of a page and then craps out or fails to access the page altogether. Also once accessed some but not all pages/forums work. I had to switch to my dialup in order to access macnn's forums - I could load the main page but not any of the forum links.

I've spent several hours with Direcway TS without a fix.
I'm ready to bail but was told that I'll be responsible for a $375 install fee!

I'm using Explorer 5.2/ OS9 or X. Tried dumping cookies, clearing cache/history, every combination of TCP/IP, proxy, security setting, etc.

I refuse to pay $60/month and have to retain my dialup just to access several key sites. But it's sure faster than my puny 13K dialup!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Rick

Thor
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2003, 02:43 PM

Do you have the same trouble if you use Mozilla/Safari?

JB72
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2003, 03:41 PM

I'll be curious as to how this problem gets resolved. I'll be at my parents' house soon to troubleshoot they're new Direcway system.

Forum Links
Forum Rules