Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple Remote Desktop... blows.

Apple Remote Desktop... blows.
Cipher13
Dec 17, 2002, 09:55 PM

WTF is wrong with this POS software? How could Apple release something so horrible? It's worse than OSX 10.0... almost. Heh.

What's with the whole "cannot observe a screen running under 256 colours" or whatever?

1. Why the hell not?
2. It *isn't* under 256 colours.
3. It does this randomly.

Now, a seperate issue - I have a 7350 here, but no monitor for it. I have no monitors that can plug into the old Apple proprietary connector. So, I'll use it headlessly - but ARD cannot let me 'control' it, because the monitor settings are 'invalid' - it doesn't *have* any, as it doesn't have a monitor. Wtf? Come on, seriously. This would be understandable, if only the app didn't suck - other than the 'control' feature, it's useless - you can do practically nothing to a machine without having the ability to 'control' it.

Ugh.

Guy Incognito
Banned
Dec 17, 2002, 10:32 PM

Yeah it blows...is there anything else you want to know?

Cooter
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2002, 10:32 PM

..those model macs don't start up the video system without anything attached to the video port. The common way to trick the system into turning on the video is to attach an adapter to the video port so the 'puter thinks there is something attached.

So, it isn't ADRemote's fault. It's a problem with those particular generation of Macs.
"People who sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary safety deserve neither." -Benjamin Franklin

spiney
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2002, 10:50 PM

I agree ARD is a POS. I have reverted back to Timbuktu. I've used it for years and it runs rings around ARD.

Cipher13  (op)
Dec 17, 2002, 10:56 PM

Originally posted by Cooter:
..those model macs don't start up the video system without anything attached to the video port. The common way to trick the system into turning on the video is to attach an adapter to the video port so the 'puter thinks there is something attached.

So, it isn't ADRemote's fault. It's a problem with those particular generation of Macs.
Yeah, I was hoping that wouldn't be an issue

I wonder if even Timbuktu will work then? I don't have an adapter/dongle. I have plenty of monitors, but nothing that'll go on that machine...

Originally posted by spiney:
I agree ARD is a POS. I have reverted back to Timbuktu. I've used it for years and it runs rings around ARD.
Yeah, I ordered Pro 6 about 20 mins ago... I haven't used it for years, but it was always great when I did. Not sure why I stopped using it. I guess because Apple gave us ANA then ARD for free.

spiney
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2002, 11:15 PM

Somebody makes a headless widget that make s it all work. I'll try to remember who and post it.

spiney
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2002, 11:17 PM

Here is netopia's solution

http://www.netopia.com/en-us/support...c/TPM_033.html

but I still think a widget exists.

spiney
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 17, 2002, 11:20 PM

Ah yes, Dr. Bott makes it. Its called ghead.

Here is the link.

http://www.drbott.com/prod/db.lasso?code=0101-GHED

Cipher13  (op)
Dec 18, 2002, 11:11 PM

Thanks spiney; I think I'll just grab one of those. The local AppleCenter carries one for $45 AUD - I didn't pay for the machine, so that's not bad at all.

Thanks again.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2002, 11:39 PM

Yeah I agree ARD blow... I want to like it but I couldn't

JLL
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2002, 04:56 AM

Originally posted by Cipher13:
I wonder if even Timbuktu will work then?
It won't work either (without an adapter).

Yeah, I ordered Pro 6 about 20 mins ago... I haven't used it for years, but it was always great when I did.
Both Timbuktu and ARD are slow on Mac OS X.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

Forum Links
Forum Rules