Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Installation of OSX on External Hard Drive from Intel iMac

Installation of OSX on External Hard Drive from Intel iMac
nikkymat
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2010, 08:20 AM

I wonder if you guys can advise ? : Basically the Hard Drive has failed on my mate's G3 iMac - it's the Demin Model 350 GHZ Processor , 7 Gig Hard Drive .

The Hard Drive can be changed relatively easily . What I'm planning on doing is buying a " new " Hard Drive " recovered from an old G3 iMac with OS9 on .

I intend to update from OS9 to Jaguar 10.2 or Panther 10.3 as I've the install discs .

The plan is to buy 3.5 " External Hard Drive Caddy and USB it up to my Intel Late 2006 5,2 iMac .

I believe there's different types of Partitioning for Intel and Power PC Macs , if I tried to install Panther or Jaguar from the Intel to the external Hard Drive , a red mark would appear on the External Hard Drive Volume and installation would be impossible .

Apparently you can get round this by Partitioning as GUID in the Intel's Disc Utility on the External Hard Drive . Then apparently ! - you'd be able to install ? Panther or Jaguar on said drive .

What I need to know is that if once Panther or Jaguar is installed on the External , would it work on the G3 Power PC ; once it's been taken out of the Caddy and put into the G3 iMac ?

I'm told that there's no issues when you swap external drives between Power PC & Intel Macs but I need to know if there's issues with NOW Internal Hard Drives .

Many thanks for your time . I hope I've explained this properly ? >

ChrisF
Senior User
Mar 10, 2010, 09:54 AM

You won't be able to run a Panther/Jaguar installer on the Intel iMac at all, even if you're trying to install the OS on an external disk. You might be able to get the external drive to appear on the G3 iMac by putting the Intel computer into firewire target mode and connecting an external firewire disk. USB won't work in this case.

reader50
Administrator
Mar 10, 2010, 02:54 PM

If you want a drive to boot a PPC iMac, it must be partitioned as Apple Partition Map. Then you might be able to install from the Intel Mac if you ran the install packages manually, one at a time. I've never tried this - it depends on where the hardware check is done. If it's done in the mpkg, the trick will work. If the check happens in each pkg, then the packages will refuse to run on the Intel Mac.

nikkymat  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2010, 08:56 AM

Thank you for your assistance Gentlemen , some interesting points there , AFAIK there's no Firewire on that particular iMac model , just USB - I think ? Firewire came in on later models .

It may be too tedious and time consuming to run the install packages individually . When the PC Genius changes the Hard Drive and hopefully the CD - ROM drive , it'd be better for him to install Jaguar or Panther on the iMac G3 .

I'll give precise instructions as how to use Monolingual to save space and try and install X Slimmer with my Licence to save space Hard Disc Space as apparently you have to partition the Drive and put the OSX installation in the first 8 GIG partition on those old models .

The reason for the original idea is that it would have been quicker for me to do the installation and do the necessary to save HD space than explain it all to " M£crosoft People " if that idea was possible .

The worst case scenario would be putting the likes of Linux Ubuntu on for Power PC if there is serious issues . Hopefully ! it won't be needed .

Forum Links
Forum Rules