Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 10.6.4 broke my TimeMachine backup

10.6.4 broke my TimeMachine backup
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2010, 06:54 PM

Upgraded my wife's MBP to 10.6.4.

Lo and behold, the TimeMachine backup is not recognized, so I have to start from scratch, losing all history.

The backup sparsebundle can actually be mounted, and according to DiskUtility is w/o errors. 10.6.4 just doesn't think it's a backup it's supposed to know.

Pisses me off to no end. Darn you Apple

-t

Atheist
Mac Elite
Jul 31, 2010, 10:47 PM

I had some weirdness with 10.6.4 as well. Upon rebooting after the update it didn't recognize my Time Machine backup drive however it gave me the option to attempt to use the backup anyway. I can't remember the verbiage but it was able to successfully recover and use the backup. Which turned out to be a life saver because the other weirdness that happened with 10.6.4 is that it silently deleted the local copy of my iDisk. No backup in a 'Previous iDisks' folder on the desktop. It was just gone. Luckily I was able to restore it from my Time Machine backup. On the same day several weeks earlier, my iDisk quit syncing both on my desktop and notebook computers. You'd think I would learn my lesson. iDisk is great in concept but has proven time and again to be completely busted. I'm never confident it will sync correctly.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jul 31, 2010, 10:50 PM

I tried several times to use the old backup, no dice.

I could mount it, and chose it in the TM preference pane, but it wouldn't bring up any history, and upon backup, it would start from scratch.

*sigh*

I kept the old backup, and started a new complete backup.

Fortunately, it was only my wife's machine, which doesn't hold all the important data.
If it had been my iMac, I'd been super pissed.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules