Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > multiple users Control Panel

multiple users Control Panel
Oct 23, 1999, 06:57 PM

The Multiple users control panel does not work, I get no choices in the'file' menu nor do I get any control panel window.

Does anyone know how I get that to come up?

Rocke Woelk
Oct 24, 1999, 02:40 PM

I have had exactly the same problem, and I do wish someone would post some help here. However, I should say that when changing extensions to the base OS 9; I was able to call up the control panel and even successfully engage a voiceprint password. That being said, I could not get the voice password to work after changing back and incorporating additional extensions, nor, can I recall the multiple user panel now. When M. User panel is loaded in the finder, I do notice that when shutting down my computer this panel window appearing for just second before the screen fades to black. Speech recognition is also not working, although, it appears to be hearing my voice commands. I have a power PC 180 with 88 Mb of true ram with Virtual M set to 89. Anxiously awaiting my new BTO G4 450 to arrive in a few weeks. Do let me know whether you have discovered a solution set or work around.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 1999, 09:30 PM

You could try removing and re-installing that part of OS 9 or you could see if Techtool Pro or Norton can fix the problem. I ran TechTool Pro and found Many things in Mac OS 9 the it fixed. I conldn't use the Command-Q to log out but after running TechTool it works now. I would suggest those 2 things
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Rocke Woelk
Oct 26, 1999, 01:15 PM

Thanks, Typhoon.... Great advice, although, I don't currently have Tech tool or Norton having almost no problems with the Macintosh platform. I am now strongly considering a purchase of one or the other. That said, I was able to call up the "Multiple User Control Panel" by disabling Kaleidoscope. Now, time permitting soon, I just need to put it through it's paces and see if I can get all of it's features to work properly.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 28, 1999, 10:04 PM

Rocke, bith are good programs but I used to use Norton but Now I have been switched exclusively To Techtool Pro 2. I have found it more powerful than Norton. Both have good qualities but I have found Techtool Pro a better program for it's features
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Rocke Woelk
Oct 29, 1999, 02:25 AM

Thanks, Typhoon. I'm leaning toward Techtool Pro 2 as well. The review in in this December's Mac world of Norton's U. 5 wasn't exactly stellar.

Thanks again.

Oct 29, 1999, 08:47 AM

Thank you for all the advice.
I think most of the probs are OS9's therefore I think the best is to go back to the faithful 8.6 and wait for all the updates to kick in.

Thanx again,

Dnito

Forum Links
Forum Rules