Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Lombard - OS X or OS 9?

Lombard - OS X or OS 9?
SiSawat
Jan 13, 2003, 11:11 AM

I am helping a friend out, anyone running Jaguar with a Lombard (it has 192MB RAM), how does it run? Should I save my friend the trouble and just load OS 9? She's just doing simple stuff, email, web, nothing intensive.

Thanks!
"you must not ask a girl weather or not she likes Star Trek on the first date. This is not a wise thing".

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2003, 11:24 AM

well if she needs to still use os9 apps then i wouldnt bother with osx on it.
the hard drives on lombards are too small. and its likely to be pretty slow and sluggish. specially with that small amount of ram.

i just recently gave my lombard to a friend of mine. runs great with 9.2

l�k

Originally posted by SiSawat:
I am helping a friend out, anyone running Jaguar with a Lombard (it has 192MB RAM), how does it run? Should I save my friend the trouble and just load OS 9? She's just doing simple stuff, email, web, nothing intensive.

Thanks!
iron sharpens iron

SiSawat  (op)
Jan 13, 2003, 11:30 AM

well she really does not have any use for OS 9, my reasoning for setting her up with OS X was simply because it is more stable and user friendly. Worth it?
"you must not ask a girl weather or not she likes Star Trek on the first date. This is not a wise thing".

lokjah
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 13, 2003, 11:31 AM

only if you max out the ram.

well she really does not have any use for OS 9, my reasoning for setting her up with OS X was simply because it is more stable and user friendly. Worth it?
iron sharpens iron

bamchum
Forum Regular
Jan 13, 2003, 12:42 PM

I'd only do it if it's a 400Mhz Lombard and you've got at least 320MB of RAM (preferably more) and you only run it at thousands of colors.

Also, you'll probably want the RageLTPro hack that enables the video drivers (available here). Otherwise, you and she will find that the graphics performance on everyday actions like scrolling down a menu is dog slow. Even with the RageLTPro hack, it's not great and the machine will crash if you change the color depth. It also won't drive an external monitor or lcd projector with the RageLTPro hack enabled.

She'll also need to know something about the terminal if she ever does crash the machine because of the video driver hack.

I used OS X almost exclusively on my Lombard from the release of OS X.1 until last December. All in all, I thought that the protected memory made it worthwhile but it did feel quite slow.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 13, 2003, 12:51 PM

I'd run 9 on a Lombard.

tooki

oryx93
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2003, 01:18 PM

Thanks!
Hi SiSawat,

I'm running this exact setup at the moment. Yes, OS X is quite slow, but it's useable if just for email, mild web browsing, etc. Don't expect lightning multimedia performance cause it ain't gonna happen.

I switched from OS 9 to X primarily for the stability and iApps.

Hope this helps,
-oryx93

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 13, 2003, 01:29 PM

And here I come with the opposite opinion.

I'm writing this post on a 333mhz Lombard in OS X 10.2.3, with 512mb RAM. I have the original 4gb drive and it's a little cramped for space, but that would have happened to me in OS 9 as well.

I'm writing this post in Safari. OS X is just great on the Lombard, but remember, I have 512MB RAM.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

msykes
Senior User
Jan 13, 2003, 04:17 PM

I ran 10.1 for a long time on my Lombard 333 MHz, 320 MB RAM, 10 Gig Hard Drive. RAM is cheap, so I would upgrade your friend to 320, and let her chug away happily in OSX. It's not fast, but it does get the job done.

If she's not computer savvy herself I'd stay away from the LT Pro hack, for all those reasons that were mentioned, the gains aren't worth it.

The original 4 GB hard drive is probably big enough if she doesn't need a ton of apps.

SiSawat  (op)
Jan 14, 2003, 10:42 AM

You all answered my question 110%. What a great forum community. I'm going to put Jag on there, throw a 9 system folder on just incase to boot to if there are problems, and tell her to max out the ram, what she will have will be OK, and the most intensive thing she will be doing is Word, maybe some flash websites, nothing close to intense. Just want to give a new switcher the best experience, doggy OS X is better than fast OS 9 in my opinion.

Thanks to everyone

Paul S
Senior User
Jan 14, 2003, 02:10 PM

I ran 10.1.2 up to 10.2.2 on a 333MHz Lombard with 320MB RAM until I sold it last month. It was a little slow, but ran solid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules