Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Sheehan calls McCain 'warmonger'

Sheehan calls McCain 'warmonger'
NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 12:28 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...n-mccain_x.htm

WASHINGTON (AP) — Peace mom Cindy Sheehan didn't change her opposition to the war in Iraq after meeting Tuesday with one of its supporters, Sen. John McCain, a Vietnam veteran whom she called "a warmonger."

Sheehan likened McCain to Bush after their meeting. Later, she left a rally early; "she's exhausted," a spokeswoman said.

Sheehan thanked McCain for meeting with her, but she came away disappointed.

"He tried to tell us what George Bush would have said," Sheehan, who protested at the president's Texas home over the summer, told reporters. "I don't believe he believes what he was telling me."

McCain, R-Ariz., also seemed disappointed in the meeting, which he said had been misrepresented as including some of his constituents. Only one person in her small delegation has ties to the state, and that person no longer lives there.

The two exchanged views about the war, and McCain described the conversation as "a rehash" of opinions already well known. He said he might not have met with Sheehan had he known none of his constituents was in the group.

Although McCain has criticized the handling of the Iraq war, he has supported President Bush's call to stop terrorism abroad before it reaches the U.S. Sheehan, whose son, Casey, died in Iraq last year, has energized the anti-war movement with her call for troops to be brought home.

"He is a warmonger, and I'm not," Sheehan said after meeting with McCain. "I believe this war is not keeping America safer."

"She's entitled to her opinion," McCain said. "We just have fundamental disagreements."

Sheehan's conference with McCain was one of several scheduled this week as part of her campaign to persuade members of Congress to explain the reasons for the war. She spoke before a massive anti-war rally Saturday on the National Mall and was arrested Monday demonstrating in front of the White House. (Related: Police take in Sheehan | Video)

Sheehan and McCain had met once before, shortly after the funeral of her son. Sheehan said Tuesday that McCain told her then that her son's death was "like his buddies in Vietnam" and that he feared their deaths were "for nothing." McCain, however, denied he made such a statement.

Later, Sheehan cut short her appearance at the University of Maryland, leaving a rally after about 10 minutes.

Karen Pomer, a spokeswoman for Sheehan, said, "She's exhausted and she's not feeling well, but she intends to meet her obligations."

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2005, 12:41 PM

Who gives a flying f uck what she thinks.

I really wish her son was alive and she died in battle.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

NYCFarmboy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 12:43 PM

This just demonstrates her lunacy.

I'm sadded by her loss, but that the left has taken her of all people as a posterchild for the anti-war movement is just sad.

really bizarre.

Cody Dawg
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 12:46 PM

You don't really wish that, Randman.

But, she is crazy.

I don't know why ANYONE pays attention to what she says, you know?

It's the liberal leftist elite in this country that elevate her to a standard by which they can exploit her...exploiting her son.

She doesn't even realize that she's a sucker and being used.

von Wrangell
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2005, 01:17 PM

I'm wondering. How many threads about her have been started by "lefties"?

To those against whom war is made, permission is given (to fight), because they are wronged;- and verily, Allah is most powerful for their aid

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 01:25 PM

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by von Wrangell
I'm wondering. How many threads about her have been started by "lefties"?

When you perceive a threat, the natural reaction is to attack!
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

Y3a
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 01:38 PM

Sheehan should become another icon of the left, just to help the lefts credibility.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Sep 28, 2005, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by KarlG

When you perceive a good joke, the natural reaction is to laugh.

She's comical and sad, both things make for decent conversation.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2005, 03:50 PM

Has anyone done a poll here yet regarding Mac users and their policital stance? I refuse to believe that I'm the only, or rare, Mac user that is not a lefty.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 03:55 PM

I'm no stinkn' leftie.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by jhogarty
Has anyone done a poll here yet regarding Mac users and their policital stance? I refuse to believe that I'm the only, or rare, Mac user that is not a lefty.

J.
Nice binary thinking you've got there, buddy. Do you really a) see everything in terms of political identity and b) think that there are only two fixed, political stances with well-defined agendas?

If opposition to the war in Iraq makes me a leftie what does my support for the war in Afghanistan make me?

If an interest in expanding our social welfare programs makes me a leftie, what does my support for the new bankruptcy legislation make me?

If I support un-restricted access to abortion during the first trimester, what does my opposition to all abortions in the second and third trimester--except for life endangerment--make me?

Care to expand your categories a little bit more?
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Randman
Who gives a flying f uck what she thinks.

Great patriotism!
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Sep 28, 2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead
I am fascinated about how much time you dedicate to someone you could not care less for...
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 28, 2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
Nice binary thinking you've got there, buddy. Do you really a) see everything in terms of political identity and b) think that there are only two fixed, political stances with well-defined agendas?

If opposition to the war in Iraq makes me a leftie what does my support for the war in Afghanistan make me?

If an interest in expanding our social welfare programs makes me a leftie, what does my support for the new bankruptcy legislation make me?

If I support un-restricted access to abortion during the first trimester, what does my opposition to all abortions in the second and third trimester--except for life endangerment--make me?

Care to expand your categories a little bit more?

WOW, if I were to guess from your first sentence I would definately conclude Left Wing Nut Job. I'm glad you wrote more than the one sentence. Why? Because I agree with some of the things you said. I don't see the world in black and white so I realize there can be many views/stances.

I was just trying to see if there would be an interest in seeing the diverse scope of Mac users. Many of the Mac users I've encountered, in real life or virtually, tend to be a bit more liberal. So I often find it hard to agree with them on some issues. So I tend to stick with Mac related, or Grfx related items and leave the politics out of it. Same with the thumpers, uh I mean religious (Christian mostly) people. I try to avoid those conversations.

Anyway, back to a generic point. Let's say, to keep it simple, in general, would these categories be useful?

Way Far Right (conservative, beat u with the bible, and their morale values, christians, no abortion)
Far Right (conservative, christianity comes up but not rammed down throat, no abortion )
Right (compassionate conservative, responsible spending, abortion under circumstance)
Libertarian (personal responsibility, fair taxation, if it don't hurt society let it be )
Left (compassionate liberal, more money for human programs, abortion under circumstance)
Far Left (very liberal spending on government and welfare programs, abortion at any stage, more taxes - especially the rich, socialized medicine)
Way Far Left (Tax everyone but the poor, more money to government, more money for welfare programs, make love not war, George Bush is evil, Haliburton exists to make Chenney rich, etc.)

Ok, well I took a shot at it. I have, and continue to support issues in the categories of Left, Libertarian, and Right.

J.
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 28, 2005, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by jhogarty
WOW, if I were to guess from your first sentence I would definately conclude Left Wing Nut Job. I'm glad you wrote more than the one sentence. Why? Because I agree with some of the things you said. I don't see the world in black and white so I realize there can be many views/stances.

I was just trying to see if there would be an interest in seeing the diverse scope of Mac users. Many of the Mac users I've encountered, in real life or virtually, tend to be a bit more liberal. So I often find it hard to agree with them on some issues. So I tend to stick with Mac related, or Grfx related items and leave the politics out of it. Same with the thumpers, uh I mean religious (Christian mostly) people. I try to avoid those conversations.

Anyway, back to a generic point. Let's say, to keep it simple, in general, would these categories be useful?

Way Far Right (conservative, beat u with the bible, and their morale values, christians, no abortion)
Far Right (conservative, christianity comes up but not rammed down throat, no abortion )
Right (compassionate conservative, responsible spending, abortion under circumstance)
Libertarian (personal responsibility, fair taxation, if it don't hurt society let it be )
Left (compassionate liberal, more money for human programs, abortion under circumstance)
Far Left (very liberal spending on government and welfare programs, abortion at any stage, more taxes - especially the rich, socialized medicine)
Way Far Left (Tax everyone but the poor, more money to government, more money for welfare programs, make love not war, George Bush is evil, Haliburton exists to make Chenney rich, etc.)

Ok, well I took a shot at it. I have, and continue to support issues in the categories of Left, Libertarian, and Right.

J.
Sorry. I didn't mean too jump all over you . . . that much.

I've just seen an awful lot of newbies come on here talking smack about politics with *very* basic, binary definitions being the extent of their political knowledge. (The sad thing here, though, is that some of our longest-active members still do the same thing, thinking in such simplistic terms.)

Anyway, I am somewhere between Libertarian and Left. I am all for a smaller government, especially defense and greatly in favor of making all marriages (homo and hetero) into civil unions and getting the government out of that particular religious practice. But I DO want all of our citizens to have regular, preventative access to health/dental care and I know that is expensive.

As for other social causes, I frequently rant in favor of investing in alternative energy sources (wind, solar, nuclear) to reduce our dependence on a ) ME oil and b) the need to expand drilling initiatives here in this country (i.e.: ANWR). Of course, I know how gocernment works and if we need Republican cronyism to get big business involved in expanding our "greener" energy sources, I can swallow that bitter pill.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2005, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Pendergast
Great patriotism!
And she's a patriot? Yeah, right. She's a stupid cow milking her own son's death for her 15 minutes of fame. Luckily the clock is at 14.59.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 29, 2005, 05:10 PM

okay i officially dont like her anymore because i actually do like john mccain..even if he is a republican

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2005, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by KarlG

I don't perceive her as a threat and most don't perceive her as effectively supporting her cause.

Is Cindy Sheehan a threat to the anti-war crowd or the pro-war crowd? Is she a threat to the right or to the left? Would it be smart for the Rove Machine to attack or would they rather see her continue on? I'd like to preface the below with the fact that many who are against the war like to cite numbers in polls to affirm their positions. They do this failing to recognize that the majority also disagree with gay marriage and watch Fox News; Anyway, answers below;

Poll: Sheehan's Protest Backfired

"Peace Mom" Cindy Sheehan's Bush-bashing protest has apparently backfired, with a slight plurality of Americans saying her antics have actually made them more likely to support the Iraq war, according to an ABC News/Washington Post poll released Tuesday.

Seventy-nine percent of those surveyed said Sheehan has had no impact on how they view the Iraq war.

But 10 percent say the tart-tongued Californian, who blames Israel for terrorism and said she wants to curse out the president to his face, has actually made them more pro-war.
A slightly smaller number, 9 percent, said Sheehan's protest helped turn them against U.S. efforts in Iraq, for a net pick-up of support for the Iraq war of one percent.

Among military families, the anti-Sheehan effect was even more pronounced, with 22 percent of military households saying the Peace Mom made them more likely to back the war - and just 17 percent moving in the other direction.

Keep on keepin' on Cindy. You may just be the answer for a weakening resolve. She could actually be the most brilliant woman who ever lived, bolstering support for her son's fellow soldiers.
ebuddy

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2005, 03:53 PM

That's just idiotic of her. Whether you agree with his politics or not you CAN'T deny that McCain IS an honorable man who spent many years in a Vietnamese Prison camp. Gotta love these Anti-War Protestors of today. They just rehash the smae lines from the 60's. Come on guys can't you think of some new orginal stuff?

So far one of the most idiotic signs I've EVER seen soo far is "stop the expansion of the National Guard" from some stupid illinformed lemming of an Antiwar protestor.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Forum Links
Forum Rules