Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > iMovie 10 - What files are necessary?

iMovie 10 - What files are necessary?
Eden Aurora
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 15, 2014, 09:46 AM

I recently purchased a new iMac. I want to transfer my movies from my old Mac to my new iMac.
I also recently upgraded from iMovie 9 to iMovie 10 which has created iMovie library files in the movie folder.

In addition to the above i have 2 other external hard drives as well and they have iMovie libraries, projects and events on them too. and i need to transfer everything to the new iMac.

My question is what needs to be transferred to the new iMac so i get my movies.
On External hard drive #1, my iMovie Events folder is 800 gigs. And my iMovie library file is also 800 gigs.

DO I NEED TO TRANSFER BOTH (1,600 GIGS)? or just the library file? Or just the events file? What does each one do?

I have the same issue with my other external hard drive #2. It has 600 gigs in the events folder. The library is also 600 gigs. It seems to me that the events and library might just be a copy of each other because the size is the same???

I know the easy response is to copy everything, but i don't want to fill up my new iMac with hundreds of gigs of files that aren't needed.
I eat turtle soup for breakfast

Forum Links
Forum Rules