Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > i don't want smackbook anymore!

i don't want smackbook anymore!
Ham Sandwich
Aug 7, 2006, 04:11 AM

Hey everyone~

I wonder have any of you tried playing around with smackbook..?
I find it quite interesting at first but it gets irritating to see the screen switching through via virtue desktop when I carry my macbook around.
I'm not a OSX expert because I'm new to mac for only 3 weeks. I need some help to disable smackbook.. Should I "un"perl smack.pl in terminal? (I know there's no such thing)

I would recommend all of you to use shadowbook for a lot less of damage done to your macbook because of all the *smacking*.

I would appreciate helps from all of you out there! I think I'm not the only one feeling irritated by smackbook..

As to the author to smackbook: i'm not trying to offend you but I just don't need it anymore! (btw it's a great plugin using the ams)

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2006, 06:24 PM

I don't use the original smackbook perl method, but I do use VirtueDesktops (for virtual desktops) which has similar functionality built in (in recent releases). In this case, there is a good sensitivity setting, so that you can set it to change desktops on any setting from a very gently touch, through to a very rough *wack!*.

Once I found the right setting for me, it works very well, and it's very useful (it's also great when people say, "hey, did you just hit that computer to make it rotate screens ???")

If I have it set too light, the desktops change every time my colleage on the next desk hits the desk while he's talking on the phone! But now I've got it right, it's very useful.

I use Parallels with Windows in full screen in my only alternative desktop, so it's become very natural to tap the side of the computer to make it switch between Windows and Mac OS X.

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 7, 2006, 06:24 PM

By the way, it sounds like 10.5 (leopard) will have virtual desktops built in. I'm sure somebody will write a smackbook type hack for Apple's version.

Ham Sandwich
Aug 8, 2006, 04:30 AM

hey brass
guess what!
my smackbook perl method didn't even work!!
my virtuedesktops were the ones who did the work!
it is just that the sensitivity is too high!
thanks for your tip as I have found the sensitivity in the preference!
THANK YOU A LOT!

Ham Sandwich
Aug 8, 2006, 11:46 AM

hmm..
my macbook pro still goes crazy

i've tried every margin of the sensitivity and my mac switches to another desktop and back again to the original one!! Out of ten hits I get eight hits doing this thing. I don't know if I perl'ed correctly with the original smackbook method, so maybe it is the perl's problem?

Well.. this hitting gets really weird when I see it goes back and forth to the original desktop.

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 8, 2006, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by drqoo3512
hmm..
my macbook pro still goes crazy

i've tried every margin of the sensitivity and my mac switches to another desktop and back again to the original one!! Out of ten hits I get eight hits doing this thing. I don't know if I perl'ed correctly with the original smackbook method, so maybe it is the perl's problem?

Well.. this hitting gets really weird when I see it goes back and forth to the original desktop.
If you're using VirtueDesktops, make sure you've downloaded the latest version. There is a known bug in the first smack-compatible version where it would switch then immediately switch back again.

Tony Arnold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by Brass View Post
If you're using VirtueDesktops, make sure you've downloaded the latest version. There is a known bug in the first smack-compatible version where it would switch then immediately switch back again.
Heh. Yeah, I had to code around recoil. That was kickass - how many developers get to code around a problem with recoil?

blueleaf
Dec 17, 2006, 01:45 PM

Smackbook never worked for me...I typed in the code and it said AMS tracker present and initialized, or whatever, but it would never switch screens when I smacked it...But it's not a big deal..I use desktop manager ALOT, except i set it to switch screens when I press Apple-X and Apple-Z, which is just as quick as it would be to smack it I think.

Although, It would be nice to be able to use this feature to show off every once in awhile...does anyone know any common mistakes in setting this up? everything seems to work fine as I said, but then nothin happens when I smack my macbook...

Forum Links
Forum Rules