Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Favorites Problem Solution

Favorites Problem Solution
xphilerdan
Jun 6, 2000, 06:29 PM

Problem: Changes (additions, moves, deletes) to Favorties will not be retained after application or computer restart

Other Solutions: Thanks to all the posts in this forum, tried all of them, but unfortunately they did not work for me

My System: G3 266 Tower, OS 9.0, Office98, IE 5.0

What worked for me: After trying every possible solution known without success, I just stumbled upon a solution but have NO IDEA why it works.

Went to open MS Word and it crashed with a Type 11 error. Excel and Powerpoint crashed too (have Office 98). Also noticed some funky things going on with Microsoft Office Manager control panel. Tried to uninstall/remove Office 98, but that led to a freeze/crash.

So, just loaded my Office 98 CD and just reinstalled. Restarted, then went to Extensions Manager to deselect Office Manager. Then removed OM from the Control Panels folder. Restarted again.

Opened IE5, changed some Favorites, quit, and opened again to my pleasant surprise, my changes were retained. Did it a few more times, all successful. Then alternated with restarts, again, all successful.

So, if all else fails, and you're running Office 98, just reinstall and see if it helps. I've spent way too much time (10 hours or more) trying to figure this out , so I hope this helps someone out there.

And, if some techie could possibly explain why this works, I'd love to know....

Damn Microsoft...their web site tech support is crap....

Xphilerdan

Forum Links
Forum Rules