Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > SyJet Problems

SyJet Problems
JohnnySkeeky
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2005, 03:03 AM

[FONT=Book Antiqua]Gosh, am I the only one here having problems with their SyJet. Guess I just got a lemon.

Seriously, I think the old EZ135 was head and shoulders above the Zip Drive, but the bad drives out the good, I guess. Unfortunately, by the time the SyJet came along I fear SyQuest was already starting to cut some corners to stay in the game. Also unfortunately, I had been so impressed with the superior quality of the EZ135 that I bought 200 shares of SyQuest. Surprisingly, those stocks still have actual cash value, about $.05 for all 200 shares. Wonder how I'd go about finding a broker...

Anyway, I only want to get a few old text files off some old SyJet cartridges, and then I'll need my scsi card no longer (unless, just maybe, I can still boot off the SyJet; then it might still be useful). I've found a few seemingly good-condition SyJets here and there, lastly on eBay, but when I power them up and insert a cartridge they whir and click a few times, then make a little beep like a tiny garbage truck backing up and eject the cartridge without ever mounting it. I tried about eight different cartridges. The SyJet does the same thing if the computer is not even turned on. EBay's wallytech, going beyond the call of duty after the one I got from him exhibited this behavior, had me send him a couple of cartridges and tried them out with the two or three SyJets he had left; his internal SyJet mounted a cartridge once but thereafter spat it out like the others and would not mount it again; his external ones spat them out the first time.

Was this a widepread glitch that caused a recall that resulted in scores of unused SyJets laying around warehouses that are now being put on the market, explaining why every one I try has the same problem? Or is there some little trick to mounting them that I've forgotten during the years I've not been using SyJet? If I can only get those text files copied, I can parlay them into fame and fortune; I'm certain of it! Well, even if not, I'd still like to get them. Any help greatly appreciated.

~John Mayer[/FONT]
Never anthropomorphize computers;
they hate that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules