Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Shif's PSA for the year.

Shif's PSA for the year.
shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2009, 11:00 AM

So a few days ago, the boyfriend heard a lot of banging around in the apartment above my living room. Yesterday, we saw a bunch of people moving everything out of that apartment. I asked one of the older guys what was going on, and all they said was that the guy who was living there was moving out.

Last night I found out why. My neighbor got into a one-car accident while driving from Lafayette to his hometown, Frankfort. He ran off the road into a utility pole. It happened at 2:00 in the morning. According to the news article I found about it, when emergency vehicles arrived, he was unconscious, convulsing, and had suffered what the sheriff on the scene described as "massive head trauma". This happened about a week ago, and he's been in a coma since.

He wasn't wearing a seatbelt and was therefore thrown about the interior of the car. Additionally, there was no evidence that he attempted to brake or swerve to miss the pole. While the news article was written before a drug and alcohol screening came back, I'm fairly certain he was drunk. He got a DUI a few months ago, and right after he moved in I ended up having to convince him to give me his car keys because I knew he was too drunk to be driving.

So here's Shif's PSA for the year. Don't drink and drive. And, if you're going to drink and drive, at least wear your seatbelt so you don't end up unconscious in a redneck hospital while the humane society is getting ready to adopt out your incredibly adorable dog, and your dad is packing up all your stuff because apparently this coma isn't going to end any time soon.
( Last edited by shifuimam; Mar 1, 2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Damn typos.)
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 11:42 AM

I don't get why people don't buckle up.

I just don't get it.

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 1, 2009, 11:49 AM

No, Shif, just DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE, period. AND every time you get in a car, truck, etc., buckle up. Period.

Traveling inside a passenger vehicle without a seatbelt doesn't even make you a decent organ donor, since you'll mush all of them to pulp when you bounce around in the car-and then get ejected-when something very bad happens. I'm like that about helmets, too. I don't want ANYONE to go down off a bike. But if someone else causes it, does it matter why you went down? And I'm even more adamant about eye protection: if you go down because some idiot pops a burning cigarette out his window and bull's eye's you in the face, isn't that even worse? Besides, selfishly, I don't want to run over anyone who separates from his bike because he wasn't wearing face protection.

But thanks for providing an "awareness" reminder.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2009, 12:37 PM

I don't understand why people don't put their seat belt on either. Perhaps it's not automatic for people who grew up before they were mandatory, but still. It's not difficult, time consuming or uncomfortable.
I'm pretty sure the only reason my boss wears his seat belt is because his car beeps at him if he doesn't.

As for drink driving, I certainly felt fine after going to the pub last night but I know I wouldn't have been as alert as I needed to be - that's why I let someone who hadn't been drinking, drive.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 12:41 PM

I understand why peeps don't put their belts on.
In fact, I know a guy who'd be dead right now if he'd have had his belt on on a particular night.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2009, 12:42 PM

Care to elaborate?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
In fact, I know a guy who'd be dead right now if he'd have had his belt on on a particular night.
This is a BS argument. Yes, what you describe happens, but it is by far less likely than being seriously injured when NOT wearing a seat belt.

It's like saying: hey, people get hit by cars when crossing the road *EVEN THOUGH* they kept their eyes open. Ergo, I'm gonna cross the road with closed eyes. Heck, it worked for someone once, so it must be a safe thing.

-t

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2009, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
This is a BS argument. Yes, what you describe happens, but it is by far less likely than being seriously injured when NOT wearing a seat belt.

It's like saying: hey, people get hit by cars when crossing the road *EVEN THOUGH* they kept their eyes open. Ergo, I'm gonna cross the road with closed eyes. Heck, it worked for someone once, so it must be a safe thing.

-t
Oh, come on now. My grandfather smoked like a tilt all his life and lived until 78, and my aunt breathed second-hand smoke in a restaurant for 20 years and she's just fine! This whole "smoking is harmful" kick is total BS!

greg
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Care to elaborate?
I rolled a motor one night. Black ice, up the embankment, over it goes.
Front passenger side roof ended up about an inch from the seat squab. Dude in the passenger seat saw it coming and dove into the back - if he hadn't have done that (or hadn't been able, such as would be the case if he'd been wearing a belt) he'd be pizza.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 01:15 PM

Swings and roundabouts if you ask me.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2009, 01:26 PM

I rolled a motor one night. Black ice, up the embankment, over it goes.
Front passenger side roof ended up about an inch from the seat squab. Dude in the passenger seat saw it coming and dove into the back - if he hadn't have done that (or hadn't been able, such as would be the case if he'd been wearing a belt) he'd be pizza.
Anecdotal anomaly. Statistically, you're still better off with a seat belt. We all know someone with an anecdotal story, and it's human nature to think that they apply to us; they most often don't.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2009, 01:26 PM

ShortcutToMoncton: This whole "smoking is harmful" kick is total BS!
to put it bluntly: you're truly dumb if you believe that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
to put it bluntly: you're dumb if you truly believe that.
Oh dear, you missed those: [/irony]

-t

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2009, 01:30 PM

Anyways, hope your neighbor pulls through Shif.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2009, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
No, Shif, just DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE, period.

DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE
DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE
DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE
DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE
DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE
DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE
Repeated for emphasis galore.

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2009, 02:09 PM

A few years ago, I was investigating a daycare provider who was pulled over for suspected drinking and driving with several children in her vehicle. According to the police report, the officer asked one of the children about the lady drinking and driving. The boy said, "she only drinks at the stoplight" or something close to that. Luckily, none of the children were injured.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2009, 02:19 PM

Hahaha that's classic... and tragic

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2009, 02:53 PM

Hate to burst your idiocy bubble, but the statistics are far and beyond in favor of wearing your seatbelt at all times.

There's always going to be the one-off story where the idiot ended up surviving. In fact, there have been too many cases just in Indiana of a drunk driver surviving but the victims of his stupidity and selfishness dying because of his drunk driving. That doesn't indicate that driving drunk is safer.

I knew this guy was a tool; I never thought he'd be stupid enough to be driving when he's so trashed he can't even see the frigging utility pole about to cleave his Honda in half.

TBH I don't have a lot of pity for drunk drivers. There is NEVER a reason to drive drunk. EVER. *IF* my neighbor survives (I think it's unlikely, given that his family has moved all of his crap out and paid the exorbitant buy-out-your-lease requirement my landlord has for early lease termination), I just hope he'll have learned his lesson. Apparently losing $15k in legal fees for a DUI wasn't enough to stop him from doing it again.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by shifuimam View Post
Hate to burst your idiocy bubble
Idiocy bubble?

Is calling me an idiot your way of ignoring me Shif?

lexapro
Baninated
Mar 1, 2009, 03:15 PM

If you don't buckle up, you crash and die then I think the world is better for it.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2009, 03:41 PM

^ As long as you don't take anyone else out in the process I agree.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2009, 05:07 PM

There's always going to be the one-off story where the idiot ended up surviving. In fact, there have been too many cases just in Indiana of a drunk driver surviving but the victims of his stupidity and selfishness dying because of his drunk driving.
Thanks for pointing that out. People could do a google search to find what happened to Jacqueline Saburrido when she was only 20 years old… There was an campaign ran by the Texas Department of Transportation (Not everyone who gets hit by a drunk driver dies.) where you can see the seriousness of Jaqueline's injuries… so disgusting, so sad and so powerful it makes you cry, and if you ever drink you're going to think twice about it… cause If such an image does not give people pause before drinking and driving, nothing will.

BTW, what does PSA mean here?

AKcrab
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2009, 05:13 PM

Public service announcement.

Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2009, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by placebo1969 View Post
A few years ago, I was investigating a daycare provider who was pulled over for suspected drinking and driving with several children in her vehicle. According to the police report, the officer asked one of the children about the lady drinking and driving. The boy said, "she only drinks at the stoplight" or something close to that. Luckily, none of the children were injured.
I got pulled over for suspected drink-driving two nights ago. Celebrating a house purchase, I popped up to the pub to buy a couple of bottles of plonk. Unknown to me, the police followed me from the pub carpark, had a struggle keeping up with my... ah... enthusiastic driving style*, and therefore didn't put their blue lights on until I reached my street, and pulled me up outside my house.

I blew under, so I was allowed to pull into my garage.

*I don't speed much but I corner like a demon (I blame my GTI). Unfortunately the pub is a rapid series of corners away from my house, so the cops probably thought I was evading them.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 05:39 PM

I've known people whose lives have been saved by botched suicide attempts, but I still don't think it's generally the best option if you want to go on living. Logically, you're more likely to survive if you wear your seatbelt and don't try to kill yourself.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
I've known people whose lives have been saved by botched suicide attempts, but I still don't think it's generally the best option if you want to go on living. Logically, you're more likely to survive if you wear your seatbelt and don't try to kill yourself.
I'm not saying it's the best option - I'm saying I understand the peeps who don't belt up.

Did everyone leave their comprehension handbooks at work or something? Or does the English language only function properly inside my "idiocy bubble"?

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2009, 06:42 PM

See, I don't understand people who don't buckle up. I understand them as being ignorant fools who use the exception to the rule as an excuse to not wear a damn seatbelt.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 07:42 PM

See, I don't understand people who don't buckle up.
So, I understand more than you do. What's new?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2009, 08:16 PM

Don't mind Doof, always the contrarian.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 1, 2009, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by - - e r i k - - View Post
Don't mind Doof, always the contrarian.
No he's not.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 08:31 PM

Yes I am Brian.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 08:39 PM

I'm not saying it's the best option - I'm saying I understand the peeps who don't belt up.
What's there to understand ?

They are idiots, who can't understand odds.

-t

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 1, 2009, 08:44 PM

I'm saying I understand the peeps who don't belt up.
What's there to understand ?

They are idiots, who can't understand odds.
Yeah, what's not to understand. They're complete retards who believe the one and a million story of somebody surviving because of the absence of a seatbelt is in any way common enough to warrant not wearing one.

I know you love to play Devil's Advocate Doof, but wearing a seatbelt increases your chance for living 99.999% of the time.

A few years back a 16 year old girl plowed her Buick into my truck. When I went up to the car she was hysterically crying and screaming that her friend smashed her face on the windshield. I asked if she was wearing her seatbelt and she said no. So **** your tears if your friend is stupid enough not to buckle up, I did and when hit by that tank of a car got no injuries at all.

Also, while we're telling people not to drink and drive how about we stop doing things equally dangerous, like texting on a f**king cellphone and driving, or driving really tired (statistically worse than drunk driving). I'm not advocating drunk driving, but it seems to me plenty of people play the hollier-than-thou card about drunk driving and end up whipping in the fast lane texting "B there soon, lol" while cutting me off.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 08:56 PM

Well, I understand that in a panel van it's sometimes a lot safer to not wear a belt - usually on small, windy urban roads - due to visibility and blind spot issues. Try hacking a panel van around Monaco, for example, and you'll quickly lose that belt.

Not having an accident in the first place increases your chance of living by 100%.*

(* I'd stick a wink smiley in there but doing that appears to cause immature little Brians to follow me around endlessly.)

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 1, 2009, 08:59 PM

It's working.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 09:03 PM

What, your penis? What do you mean by working? Getting a chubby or something?

auto_immune
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2009, 09:13 PM

Getting a chubby is no excuse for drunk driving !!!

(drink&drive=supreme idiocy)

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2009, 09:21 PM

Don't Drink. You do stupid things when you are drunk.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Mar 1, 2009, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by hyteckit View Post
This. And in addition, don’t drive. It’s just bad for the environment, anyway.

[All this coming quite easily and smugly from someone who doesn’t drink alcohol, lives in a city with excellent public transportation, and doesn’t have a driving licence]

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
like texting on a f**king cellphone and driving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klteYv1Uv9A

Start it at 20 seconds.

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2009, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
[All this coming quite easily and smugly from someone who doesn’t drink alcohol, lives in a city with excellent public transportation, and doesn’t have a driving licence]
And I thought you were boring before...

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Mar 1, 2009, 11:09 PM

Like have fun?

Railroader
Banned
Mar 1, 2009, 11:25 PM

Do I need glasses, or did you actually misspell a word?

shifuimam  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2009, 11:31 PM

Try hacking a panel van around Monaco, for example, and you'll quickly lose that belt.
There's one problem with that argument - driving around the United States is nothing like driving around pretty much any remotely populated area in Europe. Since the majority of US roadways were constructed in the last two centuries at most, they're generally a hell of a lot wider than many of the tiny streets-that-are-more-like-alleys you find throughout Europe.

Yeah, if you're driving on a tiny-ass street that's barely wide enough for a smartcar, you might have an argument WRT seatbelts. Here in the US of A, however, there really is no excuse. Even driving in the boondocks during corn season when the farmer plants his crops too close to the road (corn kills visibility like you wouldn't believe), driving carefully and slowly is going to be a lot safer than not wearing a seatbelt.

That's a bit of a generalization. You can drink and not get drunk. You can get buzzed (not falling-down drunk or anything) and not do stupid things. The key is to not drink in excess.

Ah, if only the burbs had good public transport in the US...

The town I live in actually has a pretty great bus system. I usually take the bus to/from work daily and rarely drive my car. With boyfriend here and temps hitting the low 10s and 20s the past few weeks, however, he's been giving me rides so I don't have to stand out in the cold and freeze my ass off every day.

Not even all big cities have good public systems here. Indianapolis' city bus system is utterly abysmal. Where there is public transport, I use it...sadly, though, it's not as available here as it is in other countries. I'm still waiting for a 200mph bullet train from coast to coast. That'd be kickass.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2009, 12:07 AM

That's a bit of a generalization. You can drink and not get drunk. You can get buzzed (not falling-down drunk or anything) and not do stupid things. The key is to not drink in excess.
You are now advocating it's okay to drive when you are a little buzz?

If you are a little buzzed and then you drive, would that be doing something stupid?

I think so.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2009, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Like have fun?
That's what weed and drugs are for.

Besides alcohol is only fun when getting yourself drunk or getting someone else drunk, so you can watch them do stupid things.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2009, 12:09 AM

My PSA:

Don't do drugs.

Don't drink.

Laminar
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2009, 12:42 AM

You are now advocating it's okay to drive when you are a little buzz?
hahahahaha

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 2, 2009, 01:22 AM

My PSA be lame
Don't drink? Ever? For what reason?

I love a good steak with a nice frosty Sam Adams to wash it down when I go out to eat, and then I <gasp> drive!!! Oh noes! Run for the hills!!!

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2009, 01:23 AM

Heck, let's have the following discussion: there are people that are worse drivers sober than others after 3 beers. *gasp*

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules