Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > OS X Panther Question

OS X Panther Question
Markk9
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2004, 08:37 PM

I'm a new Mac user, I just got a G3/300/Rev2/6gHD/640mg/zip/cd from a friend. It came with os 9.2.2 and os x 3.4 on the harddrive. I plan to purchase a legal copy of OS X Panther. My question is, do I need os9.2.2 to run panther? What do I need to reformat the harddrive and just load and run panther?

Thanks,
Mark

Brass
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2004, 09:05 PM

No you do not need OS 9 to run Panther. However, if you ever run any old programs for which there is no Mac OS X equivalent (these are very rare these days), then it may be worth keeping OS 9 on the HD as well as OS X.

Turnpike
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 16, 2004, 07:37 AM

I'm assuming since it has Panther installed you have messed with and are accepting of the performance. It runs well enough on my G4 400, but I think it is only fair to warn you that you will most definitely not be getting the best performance Panther is capable of... and overall, OS 9 will be faster. OS X will have the edge in multitasking still, but it IS quite a resource hog compared to 9.

I would keep 9 around if I were you. Even if you don't need classic, you may decide to give it a try to compare the performance (and software availability, et cetera). If you wanted a copy of which you could be sure of the legality, I'm sure OS 9 isn't too expensive. I know 10.1 (which may be less valuable than 9) can be found for ~$5... Jaguar, which is quite solid, can be found for around ~$25. (note, I'm not saying go for Jaguar over Panther! I think Panther performs better for me on my 400 than Jag did)

msuper69
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2004, 08:37 AM

Welcome to the Mac community!

I must say that your Mac is really underpowered to fully benefit from Mac OS X, either Jaguar or Panther. The RAM is ok but a 6gb HD is pretty much the bare minimum. It is very important to not let free space fall below ~10% of the disk capacity. If you decide to upgrade OS X, go with Panther as it will squeeze out the most from that setup.

Good Luck!

Markk9  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2004, 03:26 PM

Soon I plan to upgrade to a 40G hardrive, and if I like Mac I plan to upgrade to a G4-800 by Dec this year.

Mark

Forum Links
Forum Rules