Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Well my Neon is no more :(

Well my Neon is no more :(
Zimphire
Baninated
Oct 12, 2002, 07:08 AM

Some loser ran a red light, smacking me in the driver side door, totalling my 97' Neon Sport.

Insurance company is giving me $5000 for my troubles.

Things are starting to look better, found this car for sale the other day. Not only is it 2 years newer than my Neon, it also has about 20k miles less on it. Plus it's a R/T

Here are some pics of it.

By next week (if he still has the car) it will be mine, all mine.

I will feel a little bit better about the wreck.

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 08:23 AM

I hope you're ok from the accident. That new car looks awesome. I hate it when people can't drive worth a f�ck

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 12, 2002, 11:40 AM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 12, 2004 at 01:40 AM. )

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2002, 11:48 AM

Nice car. I know someone who has an R/T and he loves it.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

deekay1
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 11:51 AM

what's up with the color "speckles" on the seats?

other than that, the car looks okay. glad to see you're in good health.

hedonist, anarchist, agnostic, mac enthusiast and a strong believer in evolution and the yellow m&m conspiracy

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Oct 12, 2002, 12:02 PM

edited

Drizzt
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 12:21 PM

Hey.. I'm happy with my Neon too!

It's a hell of a drive for quite cheap.. you have to admit that..

MacLone
Oct 12, 2002, 01:54 PM

Please tell me something.
Is it true that Dodge Chrysler is a bad car besides its great designs?
I don't know but i have seen a lot of mechanic and quality problems even on the most expensive chrysler cars like de 300m.
they are very nice designs but what's the deal if they don't last 3 years in a row without failing?
I own a VW Golf which has been transporting me for 11 years in a row without mayor problems; now that's german technology with so so design

Nimisys
Banned
Oct 12, 2002, 02:01 PM

modern chrylser isn;t too bad, they can even make an auto tranney that will last longher then 60k now... as for thwe rel;aibility of one, check wiuth some tow truck drivers and a few shops

arrested502
Senior User
Oct 12, 2002, 02:51 PM

Looks like a nice ride. Sorry about the accident, just goes to show some things in life are un-predictable. It looks like you might have made out better from this mis-fortune though. When all is said and done it's just a car.

You should consult Ca$h on the better aspects of the Neons.
"Devil ether, it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor skills. Blurred vision. No balance. Numb Tongue. The mind recoills in horror. Unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interresting, because you can watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it"

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 12, 2002, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by daimoni:
Bloody hell! That was a close call!

Glad you're okay.

Just admitting that you drive a Neon in the Lounge explains a lot. How about a non-Neon next time? Change is nice... and you'll instantly improve your Coolness Factor� here.

Even Ca$hie dumped his... (not that it helped him any).
Why would I want to NOT get another Neon? I had ZERO problems in the 4 years I had mine, it ran great, wasn't underpowered like most 4-bangers. I want a 4-cylinder for gas reasons (cheaper) Plus I like the way they look.

Did I mention the Neon R/T is a awesome car?

Go read this

http://www.internetautoguide.com/rev...odge_Neon.html

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 12, 2002, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by MacLone:
Please tell me something.
Is it true that Dodge Chrysler is a bad car besides its great designs?
I don't know but i have seen a lot of mechanic and quality problems even on the most expensive chrysler cars like de 300m.
they are very nice designs but what's the deal if they don't last 3 years in a row without failing?
I own a VW Golf which has been transporting me for 11 years in a row without mayor problems; now that's german technology with so so design
*shrug* I worked at a Mazda/VW car lot when I was 16 washing cars, we had VWs in there all the time with something wrong with them. Fact is, if you take care of the car, usually they will last along time. A great deal of the VW issues were odd quirky quality problems. All car manufactures have such a problem. And if you know what you are doing, you can get it fixed for free at the manu's expense. I love Jetta's and if I could afford the price, and cost of labor on a German car like that I would get one too.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 12, 2002, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by arrested502:

You should consult Ca$h on the better aspects of the Neons.
Why? I have had a Neon just as long or longer than he has.

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2002, 03:48 PM

I had a Neon for many years. I never had an ounce of trouble with it. (And that car went through hell and back.)

I'm glad that you are ok from your wreck. The new R/T looks nice. Good luck with it.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2002, 04:20 PM

Originally posted by Zimphire:
*shrug* I worked at a Mazda/VW car lot when I was 16 washing cars, we had VWs in there all the time with something wrong with them. Fact is, if you take care of the car, usually they will last along time. A great deal of the VW issues were odd quirky quality problems. All car manufactures have such a problem. And if you know what you are doing, you can get it fixed for free at the manu's expense. I love Jetta's and if I could afford the price, and cost of labor on a German car like that I would get one too.
Yeah, I does own VW Jetta 2001 myself and it have some odd problems. I sent it to repair three times and they are not able to find the problems. The problems is that the anti-spinning light kept turning on/off in the dashboard. When the light turned on, the engine will become less powerful (like it said in the manual) but the problems is that it is repeatable. I love the car so much but I want to fix this problem ASAP! Maybe American is too idiot to find this problems because it's made in Germany?

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Oct 12, 2002, 04:50 PM

Why did God let someone smash his car into yours?

"Barwaraaawww"

macvillage.net
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2002, 05:32 PM

Why would I want to NOT get another Neon? I had ZERO problems in the 4 years I had mine, it ran great, wasn't underpowered like most 4-bangers. I want a 4-cylinder for gas reasons (cheaper) Plus I like the way they look.

Did I mention the Neon R/T is a awesome car?

Go read this

http://www.internetautoguide.com/rev...odge_Neon.html
I have a 2001 (bought in 2000) still runs nice, though very low milage. I know a few others with older Neons that lost track of their milage (it ran thorough)... still no problems.

They are solid cars. Just not fast.

Personally, I like how cheap it is to own. I get gas like once a year. Going to the gas station feels kind of odd. And I can pay with change.

My friend with a Dodge Durango can't say the same. He always needs a credit card.

It's not a car for car enthusiasts... but it's a cheap, reliable car. All that I want.

I know someone who was hit really bad (driving a neon). She survived, but the car burnt to the ground. Some kind person cut her seatbelt to get her out. She was traped because the lock malfunctioned. If that person didn't help. She would have been toast. Sucks. The car itself withstood the impact well (hit on the side and ramed into a concrete divider.) She was pretty much OK, just shooken up.

As a result every car in my family has a knife located in the ashtray or cupholder. Just in case. It's a freak thing. But it would be dumb to repeat.

Nimisys
Banned
Oct 12, 2002, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:

Yeah, I does own VW Jetta 2001 myself and it have some odd problems. I sent it to repair three times and they are not able to find the problems. The problems is that the anti-spinning light kept turning on/off in the dashboard. When the light turned on, the engine will become less powerful (like it said in the manual) but the problems is that it is repeatable. I love the car so much but I want to fix this problem ASAP! Maybe American is too idiot to find this problems because it's made in Germany?
if its repeatable go to the dealer get the tech to ride with you in the car and show them how you get it to go off... trust me intement problmes are a bitch, and it doesn;t help if someone says i can make it do it all the time but doesn't tell you how

daimoni
Occasionally Quoted
Oct 12, 2002, 06:11 PM

( Last edited by daimoni; May 12, 2004 at 01:41 AM. )

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 12, 2002, 06:27 PM

Go and get yourself a real car
Glad to hear you didn't get hurt btw.

Ca$h68
Banned
Oct 12, 2002, 06:42 PM

Cool. I don't dig white cars, but its a good car.

However, I'll say something about VWs... VWs have GREAT fit and finish, however, they suffer from MORE reliability problems than the neon. Ever own a 93-97 VW witha VR6? Hello dealership. Or how about a new Golf/GTI? I know a guy who had one. His window was rattling (Passenger side)... it kept getting worse... then.. IT FELL INWARD. YeAh. The freaking window fell off. :|

VWs are overrated, AND overpriced. Plus an R/T could stomp the sh*t out of most VWs out there.

- Ca$h

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2002, 01:28 AM

Originally posted by I Bent My Wookiee:
Why did God let someone smash his car into yours?
Why did Satan let you post this nonsense?

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2002, 01:34 AM

Originally posted by macvillage.net:

They are solid cars. Just not fast.
Depends on the Neon, the R/T isn't slow, And a few mods can raise the 150HP engine to 170 easy. 150HP with a car that light IS fast, 170, even faster.

The base models aren't nearly as speedy. The 2001 R/T is 150, but not DOHC engine

The SRT that is coming out is 220HP I believe, now THAT is a fast Neon.

It's the whole HP versus weight ratio that matters, not just the HP.

Check out this Neon blowing away a Viper

http://webpages.charter.net/zimphire...llviper00.mpeg

(Yes the Neon was HIGHLY modified)

But still the R/T is no slouch, it's faster than most cars in it's range (The Cavaliar Z24, Any Civic, yes even the V-techs)

For the price you can't beat it. I am not going to be racing it, I just like I can go uphil on the interstate without having to turn off my A/C You can't say that about allot of 4 bangers.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2002, 01:36 AM

Originally posted by daimoni:

I'm sorry. I take it all back. The Neon is perfect for you.

Don't go changing, okay?
Why would I want to?

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2002, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Ca$h68:

VWs are overrated, AND overpriced. Plus an R/T could stomp the sh*t out of most VWs out there.

- Ca$h
I don't know, some of the higher end jetta's are pretty darn fast. Point is though, I could put a couple hundred in my Neon and blow it off the road for half the price. You know this.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 03:01 AM

Why did Satan let you post this nonsense?

My guess is that because there is no god to stop him or me

"Barwaraaawww"

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2002, 03:06 AM

My guess is that because there is no god to stop him or me
Wasn't this topic about Neons? Where are all the mods throwing fits about off topic ramblings?

Heck, I would have had a mod threaten to ban me by now.

But naw, I am not singled out.

Anyhow. To get back on topic, the dealer said he would hold the car for me till next week. Since I WILL be paying for it was CASH.

Dealers like that for some reason.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 03:23 AM

Wasn't this topic about Neons? Where are all the mods throwing fits about off topic ramblings?

Heck, I would have had a mod threaten to ban me by now.

But naw, I am not singled out.

[/B]

"Barwaraaawww"

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2002, 03:29 AM

I sure hope you didn't take allot of time searching for that.

Not that is makes any sense anyhow.

How silly.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 03:33 AM

I sure hope you didn't take allot of time searching for that.

allot

\Al*lot"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Allotted; p. pr. & vb. n. Allotting.] [OF. aloter, F. allotir; a (L. ad) + lot lot. See Lot.] 1. To distribute by lot.

2. To distribute, or parcel out in parts or portions; or to distribute to each individual concerned; to assign as a share or lot; to set apart as one's share; to bestow on; to grant; to appoint; as, let every man be contented with that which Providence allots him.

"Barwaraaawww"

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2002, 03:35 AM

Originally whined by I Bent My Wookiee:

allot

\Al*lot"\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Allotted; p. pr. & vb. n. Allotting.] [OF. aloter, F. allotir; a (L. ad) + lot lot. See Lot.] 1. To distribute by lot.

2. To distribute, or parcel out in parts or portions; or to distribute to each individual concerned; to assign as a share or lot; to set apart as one's share; to bestow on; to grant; to appoint; as, let every man be contented with that which Providence allots him.
Sad that such anal things bother you.

I would go get some help with your little obsession compulsive disorder.

Now go wash your hands.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 03:40 AM

Sad that such anal things bother you.

I would go get some help with your little obsesssion compulsive disorder.

Now go wash your hands.

Sad? Perhaps you should pray for me then Could God help me with this huge/sad problem I got?

Hey shouldn't you have to go to bed, you have to go to church in the morning and thank God for endangering your life and destroying your much loved car.

Oh and here is the standard

"Barwaraaawww"

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2002, 03:43 AM

Sad? Perhaps you should pray for me then Could God help me with this huge/sad problem I got?
Oh, I am sure he could.

Hey shouldn't you have to go to bed, you have to go to church in the morning and thank God for endangering your life and destroying your much loved car.

Oh and here is the standard
I didn't know going to church was a requirement to salvation. Odd.

BTW I was told by 3 cops that I was lucky I wasn't seriously hurt. They even called the ambulance, I checked out perfect.

Not a scratch, not even sore the next day.

How about that.

I wont go into how I am actually making out in this deal, that I am getting a newer better car out of it.

That is what I call "luck"

Demonhood
Administrator
Oct 13, 2002, 04:56 AM

try to keep it on topic and no one has to go home without their soul.

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2002, 05:20 AM

Ok hopefully that should end the Wookie's rambling.

Anyone know what the best cold air intake is for the Neon?

I am thinking the Iceman.

Cash?

arrested502
Senior User
Oct 13, 2002, 07:42 AM

It's ironic how everyone else but Zimphire is injecting "religion" into a thread about cars
"Devil ether, it makes you behave like the village drunkard in some early Irish novel. Total loss of all basic motor skills. Blurred vision. No balance. Numb Tongue. The mind recoills in horror. Unable to communicate with the spinal column. Which is interresting, because you can watch yourself behaving in this terrible way, but you can't control it"

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 07:54 AM

Nice car, had a Neon once for about a month in Florida, really cool car.
Anyway, looks like the new one has MT, right?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2002, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
Nice car, had a Neon once for about a month in Florida, really cool car.
Anyway, looks like the new one has MT, right?
MT? Excuse me for my ignorance.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 09:38 AM

AT = Automatic Transmission
MT = Manual Transmission

And excuse me for my ignorance, but what does R/T mean?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Nimisys
Banned
Oct 13, 2002, 12:16 PM

Road Trash
Road/Track actually

Ca$h68
Banned
Oct 13, 2002, 01:16 PM

Yes. the ICEMAN is hte best. It also sounds pretty cool when you floor it. Its pretty much 200 bucks everywhere, but occasionally JC whitney will sell it for 170ish. Anyway..uh... its kinda pointless. If you're going to mod it, get a 2.4. For less than a grand you'd have a crapload of torque and hp.

- Ca$h

Ca$h68
Banned
Oct 13, 2002, 01:18 PM

BTW, all Neon R/Ts are manual transmission, they never came with automatics (thank god).

- Ca$h

digimage
Banned
Oct 13, 2002, 01:22 PM

MT = Manual Transmission

Rice/Tech

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2002, 02:21 PM

MT = Manual Transmission

It's a 5sp, so was my Sport, and Road/Track

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2002, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by Ca$h68:
Yes. the ICEMAN is hte best. It also sounds pretty cool when you floor it. Its pretty much 200 bucks everywhere, but occasionally JC whitney will sell it for 170ish. Anyway..uh... its kinda pointless. If you're going to mod it, get a 2.4. For less than a grand you'd have a crapload of torque and hp.

- Ca$h
Cash I am not getting the new filter actually for better HP, I am getting it because the care runs better and gets better gas milege that way. I don't want to swap engines.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by arrested502:
It's ironic how everyone else but Zimphire is injecting "religion" into a thread about cars
Ya and it is funny how he doesn't want to talk about it here

"Barwaraaawww"

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2002, 02:30 PM

Ya and it is funny how he doesn't want to talk about it here
Well If I wanted to talk about it in here I would have named the topic "Well my Neon is no more, and lets talk about Christians"

Stop being a redundant troll.

:o
( Last edited by Zimphire; Oct 13, 2002 at 02:35 PM. )

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 02:40 PM

Well If I wanted to talk abou tit in here I would have named the topic "Well my Neon is no more, nd lets talk about Christians"

Stop being a redundant troll.

:o
Strange, you want to talk about "tit" so you make a topic about cars? Odd.

Guess you know how bringing Christians into everything feels now

"Barwaraaawww"

Zimphire  (op)
Baninated
Oct 13, 2002, 02:52 PM

Strange, you want to talk about "tit" so you make a topic about cars? Odd.
Funny thing is, I edited before you posted this. Hmm.

Guess you know how bringing Christians into everything feels now
I am not the one that usually brings it into discussion. It's idiots like you that do, then bitch when I reply.You are your own worst enemy.
And boy you sure learnt me!

Heh

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Oct 13, 2002, 03:04 PM

Funny thing is, I edited before you posted this. Hmm.
Perhaps because I hit reply before you edited it and then you posed first. Or were you implying something? Naaa.

Nice typo though

"Barwaraaawww"

Forum Links
Forum Rules