Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X Retail v. Mac OS X (Software Install/Restore CD)

Mac OS X Retail v. Mac OS X (Software Install/Restore CD)
Tennberg
Mar 17, 2003, 10:15 AM

Hi everyone,

Are there major differences between the version of OS X (v. 10.2.x) that comes on the retail Mac OS X CD versus the version of OS X (v. 10.2.x) that comes on the Software Install/Restore CD that comes with a PowerMac/PowerBook?

Also, if you did a file compare between OS X installed on a Power Mac and OS X installed on a PowerBook (assuming both were, let's say, 10.2.4), would they be exactly the same? Would one have more files installed than the other?

The reason I ask is that if I create an image of OS X on a PowerBook and then restore it to a PowerMac, are there any addition files I would need to add/remove? (and vice versa for a PowerMac image restored to a PowerBook.)

Everyone I seem to ask says that unlike Windows, in which the necessary drivers must be present for the specific hardware being used, OS X basically copies EVERYTHING that it needs to run on ANY system, regardless if it's a laptop or desktop or if it's 2 months old or 2 years old. Any truth to this?

Thanks!

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Mar 17, 2003, 12:29 PM

Umm, you wouldn't be asking for help in using a single licensed copy of OSX on more than one Mac would you?

(Doesn't bother me so much, but others can take a dim view!)

Tennberg  (op)
Mar 17, 2003, 01:22 PM

engaged,

No, you may have misinterpreted my post.

The company I work for is going to go under a licensing plan with Apple when we move to OS X. As far as I'm aware, the copy that Apple would probably provide under the contract would not be any different from just a regular copy of OS X.

The reason I asked the question is that I want to create as few images as possible. Since the majority of our Mac users are on laptops, I would most likely create a single laptop image for OS X. For the 3-5 users we have who have Mac desktops, I would like to be able to use the laptop image on their machines.

So, that's why I was wondering if I needed a regular copy of OS X, or if the one that came with the laptops would work on a desktop, etc. I strongly believe in using licensed software, and wouldn't think otherwise.

cwasko
Senior User
Mar 17, 2003, 01:27 PM

To the best of my knowledge, OSX is a universal install. Meaning, one install of OSX should run on everything that was supported by the OS at the time of its release. So, I wouldn't try to put, say, 10.1 on a 17" PB. i could be wrong though. I could be wrong though, I'm definately no expert on this. I'm sure you might be able to find more accurate info on Apple's support site or even the Apple Support Forums.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Mar 17, 2003, 01:55 PM

Ah - okay!

I do remember reading somewhere (may not even have been on the MacNN forums) that someone had tried to use the 10.2 install (upgrade from 10.1x) CD's on another platform (laptop to desktop, or desktop to laptop) and the installer threw the toys out the pram.

If I can remember where, and if it's any help, I'll post it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules