Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > A Case for Airport Extreme

A Case for Airport Extreme
businezguy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2003, 09:57 AM

Well, I have a Powermac and an iBook. Basically my Powermac is pretty much my gaming machine and my file server. I use my iBook for all of the day-to-day tasks since it's so convenient and allows me to get comfortable.

So, I have an Emusic account and I download a lot of songs from my iBook. After I'm finished, I transfer them over to my Powermac. This are both running Airport. Well, it takes about 1 hour to transfer 1 gig of music.

I definately which I could get Airport Extreme on both of these machines.
Dual 1 ghz MDD with 80 gig and 1.25 DDR
17' Flat Panel Studio Display
14' 800 mhz iBook 30 gig and 256 SDRAM
20 gig iPOD

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2003, 10:09 AM

You could do firewire in target disk mode for the heavy file transfers...

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2003, 10:10 AM

You know, just because you have AirPort, doesn't mean that you can't use a small wired network for large file transfers.

In fact, all you really need is a single ethernet cable. Both computers, if they're recent, have autosensing 10/100 ethernet ports, so you can connect the two computers directly. Once you set up the network once, you can save it in the location manager, along with the AirPort settings in a different location. When you want to fast file transfers, just set both computers to use the wired settings. When you're done, switch back to wireless settings.

You can also get 10/100 hubs cheap now, and set up your network so that you can keep both computers on the Internet while your wired connection is running.

Yeah, you lose the mobility of AirPort for a little while, but you can make the transfer in a fraction of the time, pretty much only limited by the speed of the disk in the iBook (which I suspect is the slower one...)

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 14, 2003, 04:53 AM

Yeah, or you could just use IP over FireWire, as most people have firewire cables lying about these days.

LeeG
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 14, 2003, 10:46 PM

I have an extra cable running out of my router onto my desk, and I plug my tiBook into the wired network for heavy transfers, all other stuff is done over airport (802.11b). Wired is still faster than airport extreme...

Lee
iPhone 3G 16Gb
24" 2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo iMac, 4GB/320GB/256MB
12" AlBook 1Ghz/768Mb/80Gb/Combo/AX

Forum Links
Forum Rules