Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Prom Question

Prom Question
Webscreamer
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2003, 10:39 PM

I have this girl I really like that I have been going out with(her name is Holly). I asked her to prom and she is really excited! Well, the day is coming up after over a month since I asked her! Its next Saturday(May 3rd).

Well, Holly is a really really(did i say really?!) quiet type. Very shy...and so am I. But you hear all these storied about guys getting laid after prom. Do they really do that, or is it really talk? Hell, I would like to get some from her, doesn't matter really to me.... just holding her hand is good enough for me! But my point is do you think she "expects" that or mb I am just dumb? If so, we arn't the go to a party type people, so where would we...do it ;0

Mb I shouldn't have posted this ;-(
Anyone who would letterspace blackletter would steal sheep. - Frederic Goudy

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2003, 10:45 PM

You'll have enough sex in college.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Apr 25, 2003, 10:50 PM

Originally posted by starman:
You'll have enough sex in college.
after reading what he wrote there, i beg to differ...
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2003, 10:55 PM

Some people do get laid on prom night. How many is up to debate; certainly enough that the stereotype came into being, but how much of that was actual sex and how much was kids lying about it to impress themselves? We may never know for certain. But it does happen for some, that much is certain.

Equally certain, though, is that not everyone does. I didn't with my prom date, and now she's my fiancee. Sex on prom night is by no means a requirementn for having a good time, or even -to be perfectly frank- all that good of an idea.

To be perfectly honest, I'd just ask her what she expects, and I'd ask her well beforehand. Make it clear that you don't want to pressure her into anything, that you just want to know where she stands on the issue. Believe me, you won't look dumb by asking. If anything, you'll score points for respecting her viewpoint enough to find out what it is; many guys -or at least, so goes the stereotype- don't even bother to do that. She's almost certainly wondering these same things about you. So if you can get this out in the open now, will help alleviate some of the anxieties which are bound to come up between you eventually, prom or no prom.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
LOL

But to try and help a little, I honestly doubt that either of you would initiate it by the sounds of your personalities. If you tried, it sounds like it might be a bit awkward, so perhaps wait until a more suitable time. She probably wont 'expect' it, thats more the domain of over confident couples, or ones that try to live up to everyone else's standards, not their own.

If you really do want a good place though, umm, park your car at a lookout?

But honestly, I'd just wait until the moment comes around on its own, rather than on a certain date because that's supposedly what is done.

Timo
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2003, 11:02 PM

Just have a good time and don't try to overdetermine it.

If your still beset with questions, ask yer date. Could be the start of an interesting conversation.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 25, 2003, 11:07 PM

"Ask your date"?

"So...wanna f--k?"

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
But honestly, I'd just wait until the moment comes around on its own, rather than on a certain date because that's supposedly what is done.
exactly... I I would bejust fine with giving her a little kiss good night ;p

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2003, 11:29 PM

btw what's the prom theme?

agrees with the rest...just have fun...the passing through the prom/no prom threshold in life is good enough...

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2003, 11:32 PM

Originally posted by ironknee:
btw what's the prom theme?

agrees with the rest...just have fun...the passing through the prom/no prom threshold in life is good enough...
the theme is called "A Moment Like This"...

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 25, 2003, 11:37 PM

Originally posted by philzilla:
LOL... believe me, there are plenty of girls that would like to jump on my lap right now ;p
I turned 3, very popular, girls down before I even asked her to prom

I just only go for the best!!

BTW, I was voted best looking guy in my school

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2003, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by Webscreamer:
LOL... believe me, there are plenty of girls that would like to jump on my lap right now ;p

I've been there - it ain't easy at the top, is it?

Seriously, just go with the flow. You won't always know what the flow is, but you can't plan it anyway, so there's not much point in fretting about it. If you're really compatible, she's not going to reject you just because you don't jump her bones right away.

Don't pay attention to the idea that everyone is supposed to have sex on prom night. It's mostly talk. "American Pie" is fun but it's not reality.

Stubie
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2003, 12:52 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Don't pay attention to the idea that everyone is supposed to have sex on prom night. It's mostly talk. "American Pie" is fun but it's not reality.
Really? ...... CRAP!

Good thing I am a contientious objector to the whole prom thing ... and it's hard when all your sister's hot friends ask you why you're not going with that look (you know the look) in their eyes.

Devsyn Development Studio: it tastes great and goes down smooth!

Truepop
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2003, 01:18 AM

If you are happy with a kiss goodnight then... oh well. normally the best looking guy at the school is also the most "Friendly" so she might expect it.

But don't do anything. simple as that. if it would be yours or her first time don't blow it. save it for when you two are no longer in school. if it is not then still don't blow it.

Sex is fun while you are doing it but afterwards if you two can't just lay in bed and sleep peacefully throught the morning then I don't see it as a bonding thing like it should be. Just a sport.

But hey sports are fun.

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2003, 01:20 AM

Originally posted by Truepop:
if it would be yours or her first time don't blow it.

(too much, anyway )
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 26, 2003, 01:50 AM

Here's my tip: Don't expect it. If you expect it, and you don't get it, you'll be disappointed. (Example: iWalk!)

Just go with the flow. If you have the feeling that you're going to get some, then go for it.

Otherwise, just have a good time and be happy that you have a date. You don't know the **** I had to go through just to GET a date.

Jansar
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2003, 02:27 AM

No it doesn't happen. Last time I heard people having sex after Prom was in the South where they get married the next day.
World of Warcraft (Whisperwind - Alliance) <The Eternal Spiral>
Go Dogcows!

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2003, 02:44 AM

I have this girl I really like that I have been going out with(her name is Holly). I asked her to prom and she is really excited! Well, the day is coming up after over a month since I asked her! Its next Saturday(May 3rd).

Well, Holly is a really really(did i say really?!) quiet type. Very shy...and so am I. But you hear all these storied about guys getting laid after prom. Do they really do that, or is it really talk? Hell, I would like to get some from her, doesn't matter really to me.... just holding her hand is good enough for me! But my point is do you think she "expects" that or mb I am just dumb? If so, we arn't the go to a party type people, so where would we...do it ;0

Mb I shouldn't have posted this
<Sigh> to be young again

MikeM

SOLIDAge
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2003, 02:45 AM

ya i think getting laid on the prom is one of those things everyone talks/jokes about, but its pretty much understood that it just doesn't happen unless your already very deep in a relationship with someone. My prom date was a really good friend, and we slept together...but we did just that we slept...TOGETHER, so don't worry about it. Worry about it when she says "i have to go to the bathroom to slip into something more comfortable" then shows up in a silk nighty and a martini

Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2003, 03:03 AM

grrrr.. freaking prom.. worst $#%#$% waste of time ever

don't go

Do I sound bitter?? Well I hope so. Bad memories is all.. Actually, the prom was just fine, I did have a good time, but the stuff sorrounding it makes me want to jump on a bike, and ride across the ocean to Korea, and never think of that girl again.

What I really wanted to say, was that your a lucky guy. If you say holding hands is enough.. then it is. Don't do something just because it's typical, do it because it feels right. So if you feel you two wanna get laid, do it. But as people keep saying, you have to find out what she says. Hehe, that is going to be akward eh? gl, have fun at the prom too, and congrats on your upcoming graduation

scottiB
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2003, 08:51 AM

Originally posted by zigzag:
Seriously, just go with the flow. You won't always know what the flow is... .<snip>
Unless there is a flow, and you'll definitely know what it is, so this anticipation may be moot, regardless.

However, it never bothered my prom date.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2003, 09:14 AM

I think the whole sex after prom this is wishful thinking by horny guys. At my highschool, I don't know of anyone who had sex afterwards, and I also never heard anyone saying they did either.

Anyway, Webscreamer, do what you want to do, not what you think everyone else is doing, etc. And not for just this situation.

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2003, 12:00 PM

Originally posted by starman:
"Ask your date"?

"So...wanna f--k?"

I would hope he isn't that boorish about it.

funkboy
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2003, 12:16 PM

I'm glad to hear you're also the most modest

Originally posted by Stubie:
Good thing I am a contientious objector to the whole prom thing ... and it's hard when all your sister's hot friends ask you why you're not going with that look (you know the look) in their eyes.
What?! Why? It's a fun little night out.
The people I knew who didn't go to prom (people at my high school and at others), after they went, they realized, "wow, that was really fun, why didn't I go before?!" It's not a bunch of stuffed shirts sitting around looking fancy or something, and it's not like anything on TV, either. Remember, it simply your friends, wearing tuxedos and fancy (and very, very, verrrrrry nice... oooh....) dresses. The potential for jokes is huge, and the whole fancy dress thing even highlights some of the absurdity of prom!

Originally posted by PCTek:
Here's my tip: Don't expect it. If you expect it, and you don't get it, you'll be disappointed. (Example: iWalk!)
Only here could we hook in getting laid on prom night with a piece of rumored computer hardware

But I do agree somewhat. Talking with her is probably a good idea, she should be able to handle at least talking a little bit about it. I really wouldn't expect anything, though - if you're happy with a goodnight kiss (like myself), then I don't think it will happen or you'd feel comfortable making it happen. Which is just fine. I didn't do anything like that on prom night, and none of my close friends did, either.

Don't sweat it too much.

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by funkboy:
I'm glad to hear you're also the most modest
well, I was being slammed so I had to come back ;p Plus I say thing online I never would say in front of people(which is prob bad..but sometimes good)

I actually have a date with her in an hour and a half ;p

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2003, 06:51 PM

Just offer her a massage!

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2003, 06:51 PM

Originally posted by solidage:
ya i think getting laid on the prom is one of those things everyone talks/jokes about, but its pretty much understood that it just doesn't happen unless your already very deep in a relationship with someone. My prom date was a really good friend, and we slept together...but we did just that we slept...TOGETHER, so don't worry about it. Worry about it when she says "i have to go to the bathroom to slip into something more comfortable" then shows up in a silk nighty and a martini
This is some thing i am wondering too! I can't do that at my house or her house, and U can't just park on the side of the road... I think u would have to go to a party if you really wanted to anyway!

Biggysteve
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2003, 07:12 PM

Mb I shouldn't have posted this ;-(
The most I got on prom night was from my right hand in the middle of my date's brother's front yard, after drinking a ton of vodka. Your results may vary, but just be sure to "come" prepared and sober.

Stubie
Forum Regular
Apr 26, 2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
Just offer her a massage!
Why didn't I think of that??!

Note to self: give girl massage tonight ...

I'll let y'all know how it goes
Devsyn Development Studio: it tastes great and goes down smooth!

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Apr 26, 2003, 09:36 PM

Originally posted by Stubie:
Why didn't I think of that??!

Note to self: give girl massage tonight ...

I'll let y'all know how it goes
Many colleges nowadays, even local community colleges, offer courses on massage nowadays.

If there's one piece of advice about women that I can pass on, it is this: take this course. And really work hard at it, because the knowledge you gain here will serve you well in many areas far beyond the massage table. No, I don't mean it like that -well, OK, it'll help there too, no point in denying that- but just in terms of approaching and dealing with people, you can learn a great deal.

It's up to you whether you want to do anything beyond the basic introductory course, but at least do that one. Even better: enroll your Significant Other in it also, and take the course together. Who would have thought that going to class could ever be such good date material?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2003, 09:59 PM

LOL... believe me, there are plenty of girls that would like to jump on my lap right now
Riiiiiiight..........
Which is why you are asking a computer forum for advice

No, you won't get any. A) you have ZERO game B) if you haven't lost it with her by now you may as well put the mileage in with this one and get it sometime this summer. (I'd stick it out cherries are fun and there are only so many to go around.) C) parent's lake houses were an excellent place for our after proms.

So take your pick: chose the looser more popular girls (cause that's an option...) or go with the girl you like and remain a vigin until she thinks she is in "love" ... which will be right before you drop her because you'll be at college with an even larger amount of loose women.

BTW.... the "just" holding her hand part gave it away. NO chance a normal 17 year old boy who has the option to get laid would say such a stupid thing.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 26, 2003, 10:03 PM

PS: small town Wisconsin girls are whores anyway. By the start of Freshman year anyway.

Ca$h will prob back up this theory.....

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2003, 11:51 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
Riiiiiiight..........
Which is why you are asking a computer forum for advice
BTW.... the "just" holding her hand part gave it away. NO chance a normal 17 year old boy who has the option to get laid would say such a stupid thing.
Gave what away?

Who's a 17year old boy? I am almost 19(in July)... plus I could go to jail for even getting some from her.

hell yeah, I would love to get laid...but I care about her as a person to force anything... respect dude.

Cause I like writing in on these forums says I am a looser? U think your a bad ass from Washington DC?!

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 12:18 AM

Unless she lets you know that she really wants to, and you don't really feel like you need it, why rush it? Why not cultivate an actual relationship with this girl and see where that goes.

When I have to make difficult decisions (though, I've never been in this particular situation) I just think worst case scenario. What is the worst case scenario? Could be pretty bad. Might be better just to have fun, and enjoy yourself.

Cipher13
Apr 27, 2003, 01:14 AM

Dude. If it happens, it happens... if it doesn't, it doesn't.

I got some. I know lots of people who did. I know lots of people who didn't. Who cares?

It isn't any different from any other date you've ever had with her. Go out, have fun, and see how things go... if she seems to want to, go for it. If not, don't force it.

Simple.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 03:36 AM

i second the "small town wisconsin girls are whores" idea - i know a couple!

Earth Mk. II
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 01:49 PM

Meh.. go. have fun.

If you don't want it, don't push it.

If you want it, don't push it.

If you have to ask if you're ready for sex, you're not.

[EDIT: also, if you want to keep dating her, don't let her find this thread. ]
/Earth\ Mk\.\ I{2}/

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 01:56 PM

dudes...

don't worry. I went on a date with her last night again and she is soooooo shy I feel like holding her hand is a lot right now. I think she is reallllllly nervous around me.

So all this other stuff doesn't even matter really. I just need her to get talking to me and be more open!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2003, 02:12 PM

Webscreamer, just go to the prom and expect to have fun!
I'm the shy type myself and so was both of my prom dates. I enjoyed holding hands. When it came to dancing I preferred the slow dance only, never got into the popular dances. We went to the after party and got home at ~5am. Our parents drove us to our Junior prom. I was able to drive for our Senor prom.

Had a great good nice kiss!

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 02:24 PM

Originally posted by wdlove:
Webscreamer, just go to the prom and expect to have fun!
I'm the shy type myself and so was both of my prom dates. I enjoyed holding hands. When it came to dancing I preferred the slow dance only, never got into the popular dances. We went to the after party and got home at ~5am. Our parents drove us to our Junior prom. I was able to drive for our Senor prom.

Had a great good nice kiss!
That is exactly right... I realy just wanna do slow dances!

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 27, 2003, 02:32 PM

That is exactly right... I realy just wanna do slow dances!
I will be anxious to hear how your prom turns out. Just go planning to have fun and enjoy yourself, best no to have expectations except to have fun!
( Last edited by wdlove; Apr 28, 2003 at 11:34 AM. )

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Magicite
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2003, 10:54 PM

My senior prom was last night, and I got laid.

Not .
Goats and Monkeys!
magicite.org

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 11:09 PM

Originally posted by Magicite:
My senior prom was last night, and I got laid.

Not .
Did you have a good time though?!?!?! lets hear about the night!!!

Steve
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 27, 2003, 11:18 PM

I'll be posting a Prom story/picture thread at the end of this week/beginning of next with some pictures of the girls, guys, dance, afterparty and everything in betweeen.

Maybe we should just make one big one that all of us younger folks can post in .

You remind me my wife… why you laugh? She dead. | sasper at gmail dot com

Webscreamer  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 27, 2003, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by Steve:
I'll be posting a Prom story/picture thread at the end of this week/beginning of next with some pictures of the girls, guys, dance, afterparty and everything in betweeen.

Maybe we should just make one big one that all of us younger folks can post in .
Exactly... I would love to upload a picture of the 2 of us together. I think that would be fun for everyone to do who went to prom!

shanraghan
Senior User
Apr 28, 2003, 12:37 AM

This has nothing to do with anything, but... WhyTF do they call it a Prom?

I mean, frankly, prom has to be one of the most ridiculous names ever. It is monosyllabic, devoid of any Greek or Latin (which makes things sound sophisticated), or Celtic (which theoretically makes it sound mystical), or Nordic (which makes it sound German). It is an uggly little greyish plop of a name, so much so that they must disguise this by giving a prom an extremely lavish and ludicrous name such as "Paradise in 'insert celestial/frontier reference here'." So, why the hell do they call it that? Then again... a name any better than Prom would likely give it an unprecedented amount of prestige.
[CENSORED]

Newbies generally fulfil one of two functions: being a pain in the ass or fodder for the vets. If they survive to Senoir Membership, then their role undergoes a little change...

shanraghan: self-appointed French-speaking Chef de MacNN! Serving gourmet newbie-yaki to vets since the demise of the Drunken Circle Tool!

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2003, 12:50 AM

Yeah, I got laid at my prom night. Self love is a wonderful thing when your date ditches you.

All kidding aside, I had a wonderful time at my junior prom (Senior Ball is a different story). I got a good night hug, and a dear friend out of it.

talisker
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2003, 12:59 AM

Originally posted by shanraghan:
This has nothing to do with anything, but... WhyTF do they call it a Prom?

I mean, frankly, prom has to be one of the most ridiculous names ever. It is monosyllabic, devoid of any Greek or Latin (which makes things sound sophisticated), or Celtic (which theoretically makes it sound mystical), or Nordic (which makes it sound German). It is an uggly little greyish plop of a name, so much so that they must disguise this by giving a prom an extremely lavish and ludicrous name such as "Paradise in 'insert celestial/frontier reference here'." So, why the hell do they call it that? Then again... a name any better than Prom would likely give it an unprecedented amount of prestige.
Is it not short for "promenade"?

beb
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2003, 01:34 AM

I didn't go to the prom. Now that I think of it -I never actually went to any school dance. I guess that I just didn't see the importance of it.

Insofar as the "getting laid" question, if she expects it, I'm not so sure its a good sign. Play loose, if it happens, go for it.

Than again, I'm probably not the guy to get advise from...

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2003, 01:45 AM

Originally posted by talisker:
Is it not short for "promenade"?
Yes.
I am not sure what that rant was about but it would have taken the poster less time to look it up in a dictionary than it did to type out his post.

prom
Pronunciation: 'pr�m
Function: noun
Etymology: short for promenade
Date: 1894
1 : a formal dance given by a high school or college class
2 : British : PROMENADE

Forum Links
Forum Rules