Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Waiting on Apple...is there an alternative?

Waiting on Apple...is there an alternative?
Macola
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 12:49 AM

Apple has had my 12" rev A for 10 days now, to replace the logic board due to a bad Firewire port. They keep telling me they can't give me an ETA on the repair. I think that's absurd--surely, they must have some idea of the timeframe from their supplier. This is the first really negative experience I've had with Apple. Any suggestions?
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

hldan
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by Macola:
Apple has had my 12" rev A for 10 days now, to replace the logic board due to a bad Firewire port. They keep telling me they can't give me an ETA on the repair. I think that's absurd--surely, they must have some idea of the timeframe from their supplier. This is the first really negative experience I've had with Apple. Any suggestions?
10 days? That's all? I understand your pain especially after you're used to having it and using it often but 10 days is not unreasonable. I ordered my Rev A 17"PB at Macworld in January and Apple promised in February they would be released and the release date didn't happen until the end of March for most of us.

Some of the people who bought the new 15" are still waiting after a month for Apple to return it repaired. I'm typing on my new 17" 1.33Ghz Powerbook because Apple had agreed to replace the old 17" after damaging the case while it was in service for screen replacement that came back with dark smudges on it and they damaged the Superdrive while repairing the case they damaged.
It's a nice upgrade but the whole ordeal lasted 5 weeks between the repairs, the damages and the replacement. The whole time I had no computer and I use my computer full time for work.
Just givng you some help with reality.
( Last edited by hldan; Nov 21, 2003 at 01:44 AM. )
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

dialo
Senior User
Nov 21, 2003, 02:20 AM

Originally posted by hldan:

Just givng you some help with reality.
So what's this 'reality?' That the quality of apple's service and products is going downhill so why expect anything except the worst? Oh, well then I agree.

BTW: 10 days is unreasonable. In the past I've always gotten them back with 2-4 days, as was typical in the past. Just like in the past you would never hear about people being on their 5th or 6th replacement unit as I do today.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 03:24 AM

i just got my pismo back from apple, with a replaced logic board: 11 days.

was told a week, maybe less.

(still, good to be back in business!)
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Link
Professional Poster
Nov 21, 2003, 05:57 AM

My g4 sat in a shop for 9 weeks once awaiting some part. Finally I got so angry apple managed to have them send it back to me.
Aloha

anaphora68
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 21, 2003, 08:08 AM

They can't give you an estimate because so many people have sent their 15s in. If you want prompt service the easiest way to do it is through an apple authorized repair center.

Don't be rude with Apple on the phone either. It doesn't get you anywhere faster. If you call them up and politely ask to talk to someone at the next level you might start getting somewhere.

Darksider
Forum Regular
Nov 21, 2003, 09:29 AM

Apple's repair rate is inconsistant. Sometimes you get it back in a few days. Sometimes you gotta wait months. It me over a month and a half to get my iPod back. All they had to do was send me a replacement.

hardcat1970
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2003, 10:57 AM

Originally posted by Darksider:
Apple's repair rate is inconsistant. Sometimes you get it back in a few days. Sometimes you gotta wait months. It me over a month and a half to get my iPod back. All they had to do was send me a replacement.
i went to my local apple service center about the speaker problem I've had recently. They couldn't reproduce the problem there and told me to leave my powerbook for 10 days to get it diagnose. If problem do exists, then i would have to wait for apple's part. I figured out I could be without for as long as 3 weeks.

However i was given the option to take it back home and when problem exists, then bring it back right away.

Macola  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 21, 2003, 10:58 AM

Originally posted by anaphora68:

Don't be rude with Apple on the phone either. It doesn't get you anywhere faster. If you call them up and politely ask to talk to someone at the next level you might start getting somewhere.
Did I say I was rude? Hey, my first job was in tech support, so I know what it takes to get good service. However, I still think it's reasonable to ask for an ETA. Hell, if they could just send my PowerBook back and then ship out the logic board, I'll replace it myself.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules