Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Powerbook 17" shipping with Panther pre-installed?

Powerbook 17" shipping with Panther pre-installed?
andrewb_nyc
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2003, 01:56 PM

I am ready to buy a Powerbook 17", but I want to wait until I can be sure it will have Panther pre-installed.

A few weeks ago I stopped by the Apple Store in Soho and asked if they were shipping w/Panther and the salesperson said something along the lines of "Some have it and some don't, we can check the box and make sure it has Panther if you want".

However, I want to buy from a catalog reseller because they are offering much better deals than Apple directly. For example Amazon now has the 17" for $2875 plus a free iSight. MacZone offers a $200 rebate when buying with an AirPort base station (which I plan to get).

I called MacZone the other day and the salesperson said all their units had Jaguar and they had 40 to sell before they re-order new units that had Panther pre-installed. He said the Panther units would have a different item number.

So my question is: has anyone received a 17" from Amazon or MacZone (or other catalog reseller) and what did it come with?

Thanks

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 5, 2003, 02:01 PM

Pretty much everything I've seen of late is coming with Panther installed.

Josh Reid
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2003, 03:10 PM

I ordered a 1Ghz 12" Powerbook from ClubMac last week, and it arrived on Wednesday, 11/26. I had assumed that since it had been a month since Panther was released, all new machines were shipping with the newest software.

However, the box had an inventory sticker on it (which some retail stores such as CompUSA use), dating 9/20/03. That means my machine was sitting in their warehouse for two months, that it was one of the first 1Ghz 12" manufactured. The serial number had the number 38 as the (if I remember correctly) third and fourth digits in it, which I read on another thread means my machine was manufactured the 38th week of this year, putting it at the middle of September.

In the future I will order my units from Apple so I know I'm getting the latest build with the latest software.

My machine came with 10.2.7 (not even 10.2.8), and upon start-up, software update required, no joke, nearly 15 software downloads & updates. After they were all installed, since some of THOSE updates were actually out-dated, it had a new list of 3 or 4 newer updates to install OVER the updates I had just downloaded. I was not happy. If I was a Windows switcher, I'd have been pissed, "Why should I switch to Apple if out of the box it requires 20 software updates? That's junk!"....As an Apple user for almost 10 years, I still felt that way.

-Josh

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2003, 04:16 PM

I'll let you know on my Amazon 17" powerbook next week.

arrives on Wednesday I'm told.

I had to get mine for work reasons otherwise I'd have waited until late January to see what the next revisions/upgrades are.

I really see a dual g4 processor for the 17"..there is tons of room in it for such a purpose. Or..even a G5 chip. ..irregardless I'd wait if you can! Otherwise..the free iSight thing did entice me from Amazon..plus the free shipping and very low price.
( Last edited by NYCFarmboy; Dec 5, 2003 at 07:17 PM. )

andrewb_nyc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 9, 2003, 12:54 PM

bump...

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2003, 06:06 PM

BUMP.

I saw that Amazon is selling a 17" 1 gig powerbook for 2599, plus a free isight!

tax free, and no shipping charges which is like saving 250 bucks or so on this baby, t hen with the isight, thats almost 400 bucks off total!

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 04:09 PM

My 17" Powerbook I received today 12/10/03 from Amazon has 10.2.7 on it. NOT jaguar.

andrewb_nyc  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 10, 2003, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the info - looks like I'm going to wait awhile longer

$2850 + free iSight sure is tempting though...

NYCFarmboy
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2003, 11:41 PM

Originally posted by andrewb_nyc:
Thanks for the info - looks like I'm going to wait awhile longer

$2850 + free iSight sure is tempting though...

Mine shipped with 10.2.7
I went thru the upgrade thing on the Apple website for the 19.95 upgrade to Panther...which was VERY hard to find, and expires in a few weeks.

So I'd either get it now... or wait until you are absolutely sure it will ship with Panther preinstalled.

An odd thing I did't realize on the difference between 10.2.7 and 10.2.8...the white vertical lines have been toned down considerably on 2.8....(I have my ibook to compare right next to it, and the ibook is up to 10.2.8).

I'm not messing much with the 17" on 10.2.7 until the Panther comes in though...going to do a clean install from scratch if it will let me.

interestingly, I got a free isight, but it only works with yahoo's instant messenger..NOT ichat on the laptop that it came free with! I guess isight will only work on ichat on Panther now or something.

some first hand impressions:

1. I really don't like the keyboard moved all the way back to the edge of the screen, away from where your hands would rest naturally.
--I will be using a external keyboard and logitech mouse with my 17" because the placement of the keyboard really forces you to hold your hands in a awkward position.

2. The fit & finish is very nice. It is a stunning computer, no doubt about that.

3. Is it too big? No. Not for using it on your desktop. Would I want to carry it around all day? No...(I plan on keeping my ibook as my main couch surfer/airplane laptop).

4. Wow..it has so many ports! I don't even know what they all do yet...but it will be exciting to learn! I almost half expected to find a scuzzy port on there somewhere. I saw the Video Out port and was like..wow..the old printer port is back. (its not..laughing)

5. Not one dead pixel. (that I can see anyhow).

6. the speakers are decent..but nothing to be overly excited about...bu tat least you will be able to watch a dvd without having to resort to earplugs.

ok..enough ramblings for now.

Tomster
Senior User
Dec 11, 2003, 04:18 PM

I too have the 10.2.7 software restore dvd. On top of that, I purchased Panther. Does anyone know how I can get a 10.3 restore dvd? I travel with the 10.2.7 dvd rather than the four Panther install disks but would prefer to have the ability to install Panther from one dvd just in case everything blows up.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

hldan
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2003, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by Tomster:
I too have the 10.2.7 software restore dvd. On top of that, I purchased Panther. Does anyone know how I can get a 10.3 restore dvd? I travel with the 10.2.7 dvd rather than the four Panther install disks but would prefer to have the ability to install Panther from one dvd just in case everything blows up.
I checked Ebay but nothing there but the Panther CD's. You could call Apple and see if they would sell you the restore DVD separately but that might be very expensive since the restore DVD has Panther and iDVD (if you have a superdrive PB) and all the included productivity software and classic support. You don't have to haul all four of the CD's around. It only requires just the 2 install disks unless you need the XCode Developer tools.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Forum Links
Forum Rules