Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > 33.6 Vs 58K modem

33.6 Vs 58K modem
George Orville
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2000, 02:48 AM

I have a 6116/1G/66 upgraded to 270/72Megs/OS 8.6...........I have two basic questions.

Santa is going to bring me a GV Teleport 56k/V.92 modem..I presently am using a GV Teleport 33.6 modem..

1..Can Ileave the 33.6 Software on the hard drive and install the 56k Software without having interaction/conflects between the two versions, or must I remove the 33.6 software..

2..Running 33.6 modem and connecting to AOL, the Fax modem software must be disabled..
(which I don't use much)....Do I have to to the same with the 56K software.

Don't tell that the cable modem/DSL is much faster. That I know... I will be using the new 56K modem....
bigbiker

Misha
Professional Poster
Dec 19, 2000, 08:27 AM

1. You should be able to install over the 33.6K software without a hitch. In fact, if you're using Mac OS 8/9, you shouldn't have to install anything at all, just select your new modem from the Modem control panel.

2. Not sure about this one...

George Orville  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2000, 01:33 PM

Misha, thanks for your rapid response.....I'm using Netscape/IE with AOL as my ISP and I have never used the Modem control panel...My Modem c.pnl offers a choice of Modem scripts not modems.......
bigbiker

druber
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 20, 2000, 03:38 PM

I went from a GV platinum (rom flashed to 33.6) to a GV 56k, installed the software over top of the old and ran just fine. Yeah, really not much more to install than the modem script (which essentially does select the modem, since you're unlikely to have two modems installed on one computer. seen that on the pc side to boost bandwidth. anyone done it on a mac?)

I think you can do a custom install so that it doesn't install the fax software. I've never used it either (and avoid AOL), so it hasn't gotten in my way..
Help find a cure for Malaria: crunch D2OL for Team Macnn.

Forum Links
Forum Rules