Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > WWII Games

WWII Games
joeswell
Jun 29, 2004, 05:20 PM

Which WWII game is "better" Medal of Honor or Battlefield 1942? Which would play best on a Flat Panel G4 iMac with 786 Megs of RAM, 1.25Ghz running System X 10.3.4 Panther?
It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

Ryan Becker
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 29, 2004, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by joeswell:
Which WWII game is "better" Medal of Honor or Battlefield 1942? Which would play best on a Flat Panel G4 iMac with 786 Megs of RAM, 1.25Ghz running System X 10.3.4 Panther?
That's hard to answer... MoH is a classic with 2 expansion sets already available, and TONS of custom maps, mods, etc. There are still tons of online server to play on as well.

BF1942 is brand new to the Mac, but old for the PC. So, I haven't played it, and don't know if there are many servers to be found or not...

MoH would definitely run the fastest.

-Ryan
800mhz 15" Flat Panel iMac G4, 32mb GeForce2MX, OS X (10.3), Maxtor 120gb & 250gb FireWire HDs, FireWire Zip 250, iSight

macenthusiast
Jun 30, 2004, 10:39 PM

Call of Duty!!

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 01:03 PM

BF1942 is multiplayer-oriented. And like Ryan said, it's old on the PC platform, so you won't see a ton of people playing it.

Call Of Duty is infinitely better than Medal Of Honor. Not only is it more rewarding and varied than MOH, but it actually runs more smoothly on my computer (1.33 GHz PowerMac G4, 1 GB RAM, GeForce 3), and it's new enough that there are still a lot of people playing it online. There will occasionally be a part of MOH that runs a bit smoother than COD, but COD is a lot more consistent, almost always giving me smooth performance. On a 1.25 GHz iMac, it should run very well.

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 4, 2004, 04:46 PM

CoD is the only recent WW2 game I've played, and I'd definitely give it a thumbs up.

Of course, you can't forget Wolfenstein.
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

jlloyd
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 4, 2004, 11:21 PM

Yeah COD is the best WW2 shooter out there right now. IMHO

tim k
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2004, 02:20 PM

You might want to check out Combat Mission: Afrika Corps; it can be found at the site http://www.battlefront.com. It is turn based and only runs in Mac OS 9.
I have found it to be very addictive.

- tim k.

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 9, 2004, 03:04 AM

Both BF1924 and MOH:AA are great games... and both are relatively old on PC (I have both for my PC). However, IMHO they aren't "similar" types of play style... just set in the same time period. You won't have to worry about the number of servers... there are plenty for both games. The question is do you want a shoot um up game (MOH:AA) with a very good single player game full of fun... or do you want a multi player team based game that's only on line (BF1942). I should add that you can play the maps with bots on BF1942 and have tons of fun (I do this all the time). However, it's not the same as playing the story line/missons of MOH:AA if you are just going to play without the online component.

I haven't played CoD yet, but I've heard great reviews of the game. Would also recomend you check it out (as the above posters have already said).

Forum Links
Forum Rules