Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Cable Extensions for use in Internet Cafes?

Cable Extensions for use in Internet Cafes?
Mr Mushroom
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 04:06 AM

I have a brand new Powerbook on the way to me (my first Mac), and I can't wait for it to arrive.

I will be using it much of the time in Internet Cafes that have standard LAN cables to hook up to their network. My question is:

Rather than plug in the Cafes own cable in to my nice new computer, is there an adapter/extension that I can use so that I have my own cable being plugged in at my end - that way I wont be putting all the crap that ends up on these things into my nice new G4.

Any ideas? I appreciate any input.

Thanks

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2004, 04:15 AM

If you have a PowerBook, connect wirelessly. You have a built-in AirPort Extreme Card. Heck, even if you had an iBook, I'd say go wireless as well.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Mr Mushroom  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 05:05 AM

I do whenever I can, but some of the internet places I find don't have a wireless option, so I have to plug in.

I just want to avoid plugging their nasty cables into my new socket, and I can't always get to plug my own cable directly into their hub, so a male to female adapter would be ideal - any ideas?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2004, 06:42 AM

Originally posted by Mr Mushroom:
I just want to avoid plugging their nasty cables into my new socket.
What makes them nasty? It's not like they're being plugged into some homeless drunk's orifice. If you're that worried about using a cable at an Internet place, maybe you should find a different Internet cafe.
I can understand wanting to take care of your new PB, but, imo, you're being a little on the extreme side.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

f1000
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2004, 07:03 AM

Originally posted by Mr Mushroom:
Rather than plug in the Cafes own cable in to my nice new computer, is there an adapter/extension that I can use so that I have my own cable being plugged in at my end - that way I wont be putting all the crap that ends up on these things into my nice new G4.
What you want is Belkin's compact RJ-45 extension (F8V072-SLIM), which includes an 'eCoupler'. I've been using one for a few years, although not as a prophylactic as you intend to do.

http://accessories.gateway.com/Acces...ISDN_Cable_Kit

Mr Mushroom  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 22, 2004, 08:34 PM

Thanks - Very useful

memory-minus
Senior User
Jul 23, 2004, 06:35 AM

Originally posted by f1000:
What you want is Belkin's compact RJ-45 extension (F8V072-SLIM), which includes an 'eCoupler'. I've been using one for a few years, although not as a prophylactic as you intend to do.
You can also go to just about any computer parts store and buy an ethernet coupler and a 6" ethernet cable for about $5, instead of blowing $35 on this thing.

Forum Links
Forum Rules