Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Easy way to consolidate iTunes libraries

Easy way to consolidate iTunes libraries
MOTHERWELL
Senior User
Aug 4, 2004, 02:20 AM

I keep my mp3/aac files on an external firewire disk when I am at home. When I am on the road iTunes will switch the library location to my home folder. This means that when I buy songs when I am on the road, they will be put into my home folder. Now that I am home I would like to move these files over to my external disk.

I went into the iTunes prefs and switched the location of the library back to my external disk and a window poped up and appeared to be moving my songs for me. 'How simple' I thought, but when I checked both of my music folders nothing had changed.

I am worried that moving things by hand will cause songs to be lost, or make duplicated in my iTunes list. I have been away from home for about a month, so I have many songs that need to be moved (about 250).

cpac
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2004, 10:19 AM

Originally posted by MOTHERWELL:
I keep my mp3/aac files on an external firewire disk when I am at home. When I am on the road iTunes will switch the library location to my home folder. This means that when I buy songs when I am on the road, they will be put into my home folder. Now that I am home I would like to move these files over to my external disk.

I went into the iTunes prefs and switched the location of the library back to my external disk and a window poped up and appeared to be moving my songs for me. 'How simple' I thought, but when I checked both of my music folders nothing had changed.

I am worried that moving things by hand will cause songs to be lost, or make duplicated in my iTunes list. I have been away from home for about a month, so I have many songs that need to be moved (about 250).

Use the "consolidate library" command in the Advanced menu. This will copy everything on your internal hard drive to your external drive (but will leave copies on your internal drive for you to delete manually if you wish).

I use it all the time for exactly this same situation
cpac

MOTHERWELL  (op)
Senior User
Aug 4, 2004, 12:54 PM

that was as easy as I'd hoped. Thank you.

Forum Links
Forum Rules