Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Most important system mod?

Most important system mod?
Aluminum
Forum Regular
Sep 23, 2004, 10:47 PM

I would have to argue that without a font replacement, that the stock apple font is too large, I like my fonts small and precise, although lately all the mods I have seen do not seem to even touch the system font. Would anyone like to say what they think is the best system replacement font? I would have to argue for the famed HandelMod font.
15.2" Al/1.25ghz/1gig/Superdrive/80(5400)

smithz4096
Sep 24, 2004, 05:41 AM

Agreed, a font mod is the most needed thing for me too...

But: Apple needs to implement it OS-Native to gain more consistency. Right now all the hacks doesn't offer a decent performance, too many inconsistencies IMHO.

A refined font-prefpanel is really needed, just have a look at windoze or every other OS. Each offers more pref-options in desktop-fonts than X.

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2004, 07:19 AM

Silk 's up my computer. That's the only reason I've pretty much forgotten about changing my system font. I'll wait for a better program than Silk to come along before I commit my desktop to a new font.

BTW, out of spontaneous curiousity, what is the default Apple font? Lucida?

Gerrit Vanoppen
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2004, 07:33 AM

Originally posted by Banghazi:
Silk 's up my computer. That's the only reason I've pretty much forgotten about changing my system font. I'll wait for a better program than Silk to come along before I commit my desktop to a new font.

BTW, out of spontaneous curiousity, what is the default Apple font? Lucida?
That would be Lucida Grande to be complete.

BTW2, could you explain a little more about your Silk problems ? I'm not having any (here comes the TouchWood emoticon) but I'm curious for what ***might*** eventually happen. TIA

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2004, 10:19 AM

my problem with silk is that when ever i find a nice font, it messes other apps up, so i have to turn silk off again.

i would say that the most important system mod for me is shapeshifter.

Banghazi
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2004, 07:30 PM

Originally posted by Gerrit Vanoppen:
That would be Lucida Grande to be complete.

BTW2, could you explain a little more about your Silk problems ? I'm not having any (here comes the TouchWood emoticon) but I'm curious for what ***might*** eventually happen. TIA
This happened shortly after disabling Silk after a few days of use, although I can't be sure it was Silk alone; CandyBar may have played a part in it also.

I guess saying that Silk 's up my cmputer is a little extreme; I really don't have any solid evidence of it doing so.

Aluminum  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2004, 08:49 PM

for those silk users here, what font do you use to replace Lucinda Grande?

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2004, 09:09 PM

Originally posted by Banghazi:
This happened shortly after disabling Silk after a few days of use, although I can't be sure it was Silk alone; CandyBar may have played a part in it also.
I'm pretty sure there was another post with the same problem just a week ago or so, and it was something very silly. Search the forums maybe?
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

codywalton
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 24, 2004, 09:45 PM

I've NEVER been able to get Silk's font replacement to work right. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. But I'd love for Apple to make this an OS native feature.

Aluminum  (op)
Forum Regular
Sep 24, 2004, 10:09 PM

Apple users should speak out now about this, I think many people would enjoy this as a feature, people like to make their own unique feel for their computer and there is no better way than through font management and theme management in my opinion.

cruciarius
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 24, 2004, 10:47 PM

i just wish silk was easier to pick fonts with..like if you want a certain font, but only have it effect the menu bar and nothing else, it's impossible.

Forum Links
Forum Rules