Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > HP iPod vs Apple iPod?

HP iPod vs Apple iPod?
HazelGirl
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 17, 2004, 11:47 PM

I seen online somewhere that these is an HP iPod....whats the difference between the HP model and the Apple model?

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 01:15 AM

hp initially was going to offer ipods in a rather hideous shade of blue, but that plan was scrapped. now the only differences are that hp ipods have a hp logo on the back, and you go through hp for tech support. neither of those sounds very appealing, no?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Oct 18, 2004, 09:26 AM

I guess the biggest deal here is that HP has a much wider distribution network. By Christmas, you could see "Apple iPods from HP" everywhere from Radio Shack to Walmart.

Brian McHale
Oct 18, 2004, 10:48 AM

Here's one difference: I saw the HP iPods at Costco the other day, selling for $279 and $379.
Brian

tommy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2004, 06:06 PM

Originally posted by HazelGirl:
I seen online somewhere that these is an HP iPod....whats the difference between the HP model and the Apple model?
The HP iPod includes 1 year of free phone support vs Apple iPod includes 1 call within the first 90 day.

The HP iPod includes 1 year of free warranty support vs Apple iPod includes 6 months of free warranty support followed by 6 months of warranty support for $30.

If you are buying an iPod for Windows, selecting the HP version over the Apple version is a no brainer.

If you are converting it to a Mac version, the extra phone support is worthless as converting to Mac is not supported. As to whether or not converting to a Mac version voids the warranty, I'd think it's okay since the HP website tells you how to do it.

HazelGirl  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2004, 06:34 PM

thanks for the reply. I was going to opt for a Mac laptop, but had a change of plans. I would love to get one eventually (a powerbook) but not right now...

I also was bent on getting an iPod....now I am not absolutely sure how that is going to work out, but if I do get one, I will keep the HP version in mind since I am currently using Windows.

I understand what you mean about having a wider distribution now. I only saw iPods in a few stores, but I would guess that the HP version will be in more stores.

Thanks again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules