Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > SATA hardware RAID in G5

SATA hardware RAID in G5
Steve Bosell
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 03:02 PM

Why wouldn't apple offer hardware RAID 0 or 1 on the G5? This feature would make the G5 a great entry level server. The hardware must be dirt cheap since it has been on the pc side for a while now. The software RAID in osx is a joke, and has already bit me in the ass.

piracy
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 04:02 PM

Um. Hello?

And "the G5" sure does make a great entry level server.

What's that? You're talking about the Power Mac G5 as a server, not the Xserve G5, actual server hardware, as a server? Sounds like a personal problem.

Steve Bosell  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 05:21 PM

Um, Ya
$500 for a pci card with 3 sata controllers for a tower that can only hold 2 drives,
No.

mikellanes
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 06:23 PM

What problems have you had with Apple's software RAID? I have been running 2 FW800 drives with Apple SW RAID 0 and get almost 100MB/sec read & write

I use this setup for Video editing and really stress the drives (they are Lacie d2 extreme drives) and haven't had ANY problems with the setup so-far?

CatOne
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2004, 09:22 PM

Originally posted by Steve Bosell:
Why wouldn't apple offer hardware RAID 0 or 1 on the G5? This feature would make the G5 a great entry level server. The hardware must be dirt cheap since it has been on the pc side for a while now. The software RAID in osx is a joke, and has already bit me in the ass.
How did it "bite you in the ass?" And how is hardware RAID 0 or 1 any better than software RAID?

Oh, and using RAID 0 on ANY server is a joke.

If you don't like the built-in software RAID, take a look at SoftRAID. If you don't like that, then get an Xserve G5, which is a great entry level server, and what was already referred to earlier in the thread, to those who are aware of the reference.

Steve Bosell  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2004, 10:19 PM

Software RAID1 is very slow
http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/OSX/OSX_R...Card_RAID.html

also I am 0 for 2 getting os x software raid to re-synch after the drives got out of synch

Forum Links
Forum Rules