Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Which Mac to get?

Which Mac to get?
Alcibiades
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2005, 10:10 PM

Well, since my other topic was locked, though I personally don't understand why that was necessary, I thought I try and start another that wouldn't suffer the same fate. I'm currently a PC user, looking to switch over to a Mac. I'm a student, so money is typically scarce, but I can make a decent chunk over the summer. I want to sell my PC, and get a Mac thats not going to be obsolete right away, doesn't cost a small fortune, and can be upgraded. The new Imac's design doesn't appeal to me, and the price is very high, even for a minimal setup. The Mac Mini interests me, though I've never been a fan of the G4 (it just seemes like a little buffer G3 with some new processing algorithm's, that don't really address any of the chip models problems) but I suppose I can live with it if it gets the job done. My other problem with the Mac Mini is the video solution. Basically, I'll be writing a lot of papers, web surfing,listening to music and playing some games (nothing intense, like I'm doing with my PC now, I can't stop play Counter strike, so I never get any work done, lol) Anyways, hopefully I've done nothing to warrant this getting locked, and I welcome any suggestions as to what I should get. Thanks all.

osxisfun
Jan 15, 2005, 10:37 PM

then you really have the choice of the lowend powermac g5

or the mini.

I really don't know what g4 problems you are referring to as the real world goes, but you have to factor in the fact that you will not be removing spyware and adware everyday and will be running OSX which is just amazing.

as for games... you probably won't be too happy but if you keep around a pc for that then you should have that end covered.

have you thought of the mini as a gateway mac? try it. get up on your mac skills then next year you can upgrade.

the el gato people have some video solitions but it will be a separate cost and will be more than an Ati wonder card addition...

if you are writing you should look at pages or word if you need something that high end. the included appleworks is usable but really starting to show its age.

Luca Rescigno
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2005, 11:31 PM

Originally posted by Alcibiades:
Well, since my other topic was locked, though I personally don't understand why that was necessary, I thought I try and start another that wouldn't suffer the same fate.
Not a good idea. Topics are locked for a reason, and starting a new one won't get you anywhere. This will be locked pretty soon too if that was your intent.

I'm currently a PC user, looking to switch over to a Mac. I'm a student, so money is typically scarce, but I can make a decent chunk over the summer. I want to sell my PC, and get a Mac thats not going to be obsolete right away, doesn't cost a small fortune, and can be upgraded.
Already you've excluded all new Macs. Depending on your definition of "small fortune," I don't think there's one that'll meet your requirements. "Can be upgraded" and "won't be obsolete right away" tell me you're looking for something with expandability, which locks you into a PowerMac. And the "small fortune" part locks you out of the PowerMacs. So the only real option, IF you really insist on meeting these requirements, is a used PowerMac G4. These can be picked up for pretty cheap and they have quite a few upgrades available. But what you should really be asking is, do you really NEED all those upgrades? What do you intend to upgrade?

The new Imac's design doesn't appeal to me, and the price is very high, even for a minimal setup.
Partly true. The iMac is pretty good, and not a really bad deal. But if that's too expensive then you'll probably have to go a different route.

The Mac Mini interests me, though I've never been a fan of the G4 (it just seemes like a little buffer G3 with some new processing algorithm's, that don't really address any of the chip models problems) but I suppose I can live with it if it gets the job done.
What are you talking about? Have you even used a G3 or a G4? Because the G4 is pretty good. I mean, at equal clock speed to the G5, it performs at least as well if not better! The G5 is a newer and more advanced chip, yes, and it can go to a higher clock speed than the G4, but the G4 isn't bad at all.

My other problem with the Mac Mini is the video solution. Basically, I'll be writing a lot of papers, web surfing,listening to music and playing some games (nothing intense, like I'm doing with my PC now, I can't stop play Counter strike, so I never get any work done, lol) Anyways, hopefully I've done nothing to warrant this getting locked, and I welcome any suggestions as to what I should get. Thanks all.
Video solution? You mean the video card (or perhaps I should say video chip since there is no card in there)? The video chip is pretty weak, I admit, but it'll get the job done as you put it. Don't trick yourself into thinking you'll be gaming on this thing. Most games will run very poorly because of the weak video card. But it's still a cheap Mac, and it'll handle web browsing or writing papers very well.

Reading your post, I really don't understand why you seem to need to be able to upgrade your computer. Why do you need to? The mini is so cheap that it won't be that bad to just buy a new one after a couple years, once your old one is obsolete. And the price is right.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure what you're saying with your Counterstrike comment because your grammar is pretty bad, but there is no version of Counterstrike that works on Macs. Just to let you know.

"That's Mama Luigi to you, Mario!" *wheeze*

alphasubzero949
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2005, 12:33 AM

The Mac Mini's G4 is the same as the PowerBook line. I wouldn't exactly call it a "little buffer G3." Many pro users on this board have used G4s for heavyweight editing with ease.

<-- 1 GHz G4 owner

Krusty
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2005, 01:23 AM

YIKES ! I'll have to agree with the comments on the G4. No, its not 64-bit like the G5, but it really is quite a good processor. OS X and all of the iLife apps take advantage of its Altivec registers (the things that make it a "little buffer" than the G3) so that they run surprisingly fast for the clock speed.

My suggestion would be to get a refurb iMac from the Apple store. Same warranty as new and the low end model usually sells for $1099 there (when its available). It is amazingly upgradeable compared to the mini or eMac. Totally your best bet, if you ask me. 2nd recommendation would be an eMac with the student discount or as a refurb. VERY inexpensive, will outperform the mini with its full sized hard drives, extra ports, easy RAM upgradability (so that you can buy a stripped down model and add RAM as funds allow), and faster optical drive in both configs.

Though I wish I could upgrade the monitor, I'm really happy with my eMac 1.25 all-in-all. I bought it before the G5 iMac was announced (it was an amazing deal when compared to the then-current iMac G4). Nice to have a totally tricked-out low end machine rather than a higher end machine that I couldn't afford to upgrade. The only category in which I suffer is processor speed (which doesn't matter too much to me as this is a home machine and not something I make money with ...I can wait a few more seconds for something to finish). Everything else is stacked to the hilt ... 1.5gb ram/ 160gb 8mb cache hard drive / 8x SuperDrive / internal Bluetooth.

Alcibiades  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2005, 11:41 AM

Thanks Krusty. Your's was the most useful out of the posts, and least abrasive. I think I'm going to wait until next year, and see if they've released a high end mini by then, and I'll try and keep my current rig going (or sell it, and use a cheapy comp for papers until my ideal mac configuration becomes available). If it begins looking like there is no hope for that to happen, I might pick up a G5 imac. As for the questioning of my mac experience, my girl friend owns a G4 ibook, and my brother owns a G4 Imac, and after playing with the G5's in stores, I found everything ran a lot smoother. Anyways, I'd rather wait until the G4 stock is finally cleared out, and they start applying there G5's and lower the prices, then impulse buy too soon, and realize a few months down the road that I could have Gotten a G5 for a similar price. Nothing against the G4's, just wanna make sure I don't get burned when I switch over to Mac's. Sorry about the grammar, though I didn't realize this was a test, or that leaving the "ing" off of "play" was a major grammar violation, and was disrespectful to everyone else, I was just in a bit of a hurry. Anyways, thanks for the help, ttyl.

dws
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2005, 11:59 AM

The Mac Mini takes Apple into a new era; where old-time Mac folks are going to have to be dealing with people like Alcibiades all the time. Their experience with Macs is so limited, they don't really understand how good things will be; so they will desire things like upgradability on a sealed-box component - just to raise their comfort level enough to get over their first purchase.

We have to try to be patient with these charmingly-clueless folks; for there will be very many of them on these boards over the next couple of years.

Alcibiades  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 16, 2005, 01:23 PM

Originally posted by dws:
The Mac Mini takes Apple into a new era; where old-time Mac folks are going to have to be dealing with people like Alcibiades all the time. Their experience with Macs is so limited, they don't really understand how good things will be; so they will desire things like upgradability on a sealed-box component - just to raise their comfort level enough to get over their first purchase.

We have to try to be patient with these charmingly-clueless folks; for there will be very many of them on these boards over the next couple of years.
Fine, I'll leave. Just remember, its people like you who give Mac users a bad name. Just because I don't want to purchase a chip that will be obsolete soon, I get bashed by a bunch of defensive G4 owners. Oh well, at least I've found another Mac board where the people are much more pleasant, so I won't be scared off the community by people like you. Thanks to the people who actually agreed to help, rather than just critisize and in general be a pompous tool. Later

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2005, 01:30 PM

Look at it like this:

The G4 is the primary processor of most people on this board. It is an excellent processor with a few downsides. But for the most part, there are very few other processors on the market that can compete with it clock-for-clock.

But no, that doesn't matter. You, somebody who has little to no experience with Macs, and very little understanding of the processors (based on your explanation of why you dislike the G4), decide to contradict all of that and in one sweeping generalization manage to slam Apple's current product line and degrade the machines that the people on this board own.

If you're going to ask for help, ask for it. Don't presume to lecture us on products that you're not familiar with.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

osxisfun
Jan 16, 2005, 01:57 PM

Alcibiades, when you made the first "abrasive" comment i reread my post and hoped you were not talking about something i posted because i was not trying to come off that way..

after see your other comments, i really don't give a shite what you think about my comments. I tried to help and despite some dumb ass "little buffer g3" comment that is based on opinion and not fact i tried to help anyway...

Based on your reponses, you don't seem like a really happy person in life, perhaps maturity will help that part out. Perhaps not...

if you are going to respond like this then maybe the other forum is for you. enjoy and don't let the virtual door hit you on the way out...

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 16, 2005, 02:04 PM

Well... I think this thread has run it's course.

I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 16, 2005, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by Alcibiades:
Well, since my other topic was locked, though I personally don't understand why that was necessary, I thought I try and start another that wouldn't suffer the same fate.
You ignored the "no more Mac mini threads" notice. And then ignored it again. Note to everyone: if your thread was closed, and you don't understand why, ASK. Posting again is guaranteed to get it closed again.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules