Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Where does my mouse (and screen !) go

Where does my mouse (and screen !) go
zzarg
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2005, 05:09 AM

I'm not sure if this should be a PowerBook or OSX question - I'll file it here and if it's wrong hope a friendly mod moves it....

Sometimes when I resume from sleep my mouse is a ghost ! although it's there... I can move it around the screen and if I click things happen if it's in a lucky place... but I can't see it ! Nothing is ever visible to show me where the darn thing is. Only solution I've found so far is to restart OSX which really sucks.

I've only noticed this happening since upgrading to 10.3.8 but it may just be coincidence, as I started to make use of an external screen at around the same time.

Sometimes when I sleep when connected to the external screen the PowerBook wakes up (with the lid closed) - which isn't desirable. It also blanks the internal screen after a sleep (no amount of pressing F7 or discovering displays seems to help) - sometimes a random selection of opening and shutting the powerbook, disconnecting and reconnecting the external screen helps, but most often... it's a reboot

I may knock WinXP but I've never had an external screen behave this weirdly !

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2005, 10:10 AM

Yeah this is the no-mouse-pointer-after-wake-from-sleep bug.

You will find quite a few posts on the subject on this board. Basically, the bug exists since one of the Panther 10.3.x updates and hasn't been resolved by Apple yet. It seems to happen to people with external displays attached to their PowerBooks. Input still works, but you won't see the pointer. The solution is indeed a restart, logging out and in again doesn't work. Ctrl-eject will give you a menu, type r and you will restart.

zzarg  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2005, 06:47 PM

{string of obsecenities}
Silly me, I'd have thought being able to use an external monitor with a laptop was kinda crucial and if it's a known bug would have been fixed pretty sharpish by the folks @ Cupertino.
Very disappointing.
So now I'm waiting a couple of months for a maybe 10.3.9 or until June (if the rumours are true) for 10.4 which will cost me to fix the bug.
I'm going to put the new PowerBook order on hold until they can fix this as it's important. This and the VPN issues with Internet Connect are really disappointing
Apple: Fix your OS !

zzarg  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 19, 2005, 07:29 PM

just a thought.... is there a way to create (say) an AppleScript that can be assigned to a function key which forces a "detect displays" just to reset it

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 19, 2005, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by zzarg:
Apple: Fix your OS !
Why should they? All Apple needs to do is say that MacOS is flawless and the faithful will immediately forget about any bugs and promptly start going on about how buggy Windows is.

I like the MacOS, but I certainly don't think it's any less buggy than Windows. Better in design, yes, but not necessarily better in resolution.

zzarg  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 20, 2005, 12:23 AM

excellent point Wiskedjak. As a switcher I really like OSX - it's elegant, sophisticated and powerful... but sadly, like Howard Hughes and Donald Trump it's also flawed in unexpected places !
I guess after spending about 8 months, and quite a few $, as a switcher the honeymoon period is over and I'm starting to find some issues that make me wonder if the grass was greener..... or if I was lured to the other side by nothing more than a damn good keyboard and a beautiful Aluminium body !

Forum Links
Forum Rules