Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Jumping the "more than one computer" gap....

Jumping the "more than one computer" gap....
myxomatosis
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 15, 2005, 05:19 PM

Just bought a sweet ass new 40GB ipo'. Just wondering (and I've heard of this being done but figured I'd ask here) if it is possible to (through software whatev) to transfer music onto more than one computer. I know it's set up this way to inhibit musical theft but when you have three comps taking part in your life, it would be nice.....also I haven't checked this out yet but can I at least move files/backup data freely between computers? Please let me know....many cheers and thanks...love the forum!
-Myxo
BTW: Love the new isee-40 cases....highly recommend them!
theresagapinbetween
whereiendandyoubegin

markb8705
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 15, 2005, 05:40 PM

www.ipodsoft.com

download iPod Agent

myxomatosis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2005, 01:11 PM

Any mac eqiv's to this program?????...all the ipodsoft programs seems to be for XP only. Need something for OSX.
theresagapinbetween
whereiendandyoubegin

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2005, 01:35 PM

You can play music from your iPod on multiple computers. Why the rush to transfer them then?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

myxomatosis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 16, 2005, 02:55 PM

Well...I don't just listen to music. I'm between my powerbook and studio computer constantly transferring audio tracks (for recording purp etc.) and it'd be nice to drop an mp3 from one to the other instead of burning and constantly dropboxing/emailing tracks with bandmates or to promote our music. Hell why do I need a computer at all for music? My ipod plays music everywhere ;( ....not as simple as that.
theresagapinbetween
whereiendandyoubegin

B Gallagher
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 16, 2005, 02:57 PM

This is sort of on a similar topic.. so I'll ask it here, rather than starting a new thread.
I'm using PC.. so are both my friends. About 6 months ago a friend bought over his iPod (G3 20GB) which he had already put about 1GB of music on from his comp, and when he plugged it into my comp he was able to just click and drag music from my comp onto him iPod as well. Ie, he was able to copy music from two comps without any problems.
Now, another friend of mine wants to do the same thing with her iPod (U2 ), but she's sure that she can't. Can she? I can't really remember well enough as to whether when I did this with my friend we did something special or not to stop the iPod from wanting to sync with my comp or something...
Anyone know? Thanks.

And to myxomatosis, I'd suggest using LAN, if possible. I don't know of any Mac programs which copy songs back to multiple macs from the iPod. You might want to check out MacOSX Downloads at iPod Louge.com.
MBP 15" C2D 2.2GHz 4.0GB 500GB@5400
iPhone 4 32GB Black

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2005, 03:08 PM

You can use the iPod as an external and manually transport a file between multiple computers. I thought you mean copying music from your music library between multiple computers. Since the iPod has a hard drive, you could even just open a file directly from it as well (but not the music library without massive headaches).

cpac
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2005, 03:12 PM

Originally posted by B Gallagher:
I'm using PC.. so are both my friends. About 6 months ago a friend bought over his iPod (G3 20GB) which he had already put about 1GB of music on from his comp, and when he plugged it into my comp he was able to just click and drag music from my comp onto him iPod as well. Ie, he was able to copy music from two comps without any problems.
Now, another friend of mine wants to do the same thing with her iPod (U2 ), but she's sure that she can't. Can she? I can't really remember well enough as to whether when I did this with my friend we did something special or not to stop the iPod from wanting to sync with my comp or something...
Anyone know? Thanks.
If you choose to sync the iPod manually, rather than automatically, I think you can drag songs to it in iTunes from whatever computer you connect it to, without any extra software required.
cpac

ideasculptor
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2005, 02:49 AM

Do a google search for Ipodrip. I can't remember where it comes from, but it allows you to copy all the music on your ipod back into any iTunes library, effortlessly. It wasn't free, but it was nice and cheap. I found it very useful when my hard drive crashed and i needed to restore my music library from my Ipod.

--sam

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2005, 02:54 AM

iPodRip works poorly with the latest version of iTunes, if it all.

myxomatosis  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 17, 2005, 10:34 AM

Hey Randman.....know of any alts to it then? Are there updated versions of Ipodrip that are out that may be compat.?
theresagapinbetween
whereiendandyoubegin

ideasculptor
Forum Regular
Mar 17, 2005, 02:35 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
iPodRip works poorly with the latest version of iTunes, if it all.
Have you actually tried it? I just ran it to test, and it automatically grabbed the latest version of Ipodrip, which worked just fine with iTunes, which is up to date. Besides, it gives you 15 uses for free, so you might as well try it.

--sam

Randman
Posting Junkie
Mar 17, 2005, 02:43 PM

Yes, I tried it recently when I got my iPod photo and was experimenting with keeping my music library on an external. For a few here and there, it worked but the vast majority, it failed miserably and f'd everything up.

Note, I did buy a license back when it worked quite well (before the latest few builds of iTunes because it seemed like a good app and I used it a couple of times when switching to newer iPods.

Also, the last version I tried had a handful of kernal panics.

I did find a workaround but to be honest, the original poster's motive don't seem that straight up as the more he posts, the more it sounds as if he was planning some dodgy stuff.

Forum Links
Forum Rules