Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What Accounts for the Precipitous Decline in DDR Prices?

What Accounts for the Precipitous Decline in DDR Prices?
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2005, 04:12 AM

Does anyone know what accounts for the precipitous decline in DDR prices (or DRAM in general)? I am a little annoyed by the fact that RAM I purchased five months ago (and have yet to install, incidentally) is now a whopping $50 cheaper. Given the decline in the dollar, conventional wisdom would have expected imported electronic goods like RAM to increase in price. I need a good microeconomic model here. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

porieux
Baninated
May 11, 2005, 04:44 AM

( Last edited by porieux; Oct 2, 2006 at 07:49 AM. )

PacHead
Baninated
May 11, 2005, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
conventional wisdom would have expected imported electronic goods like RAM to increase in price.
I am sure glad that RAM has not increased in price, considering I paid thousands of dollars for 8 megabytes in 1990 (or '91) (for a sampler keyboard). 1 gigabyte would have been approximately $250,000 using those prices that I paid back then.

The current drop in DRAM prices was predicted awhile ago. I also heard they're going to get even cheaper in the coming months.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=22444

Millennium
Clinically Insane
May 11, 2005, 05:39 AM

I don't follow the series as much as I used to; ot just wasn't the same after Smile.DK left. When was the last game released?

You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ReggieX
Professional Poster
May 11, 2005, 08:08 AM

It happens. Over the course of owning my G4 for 5 years, the price for PC-100 flutuated wildly. I bought RAM 3 times, and each time managed to hit a low price point. Heck, I bought a 128 stick 2 months before I even got the computer!

If the trend is down, then I'm a happy guy, since I'll be buying PC-3200 for the G5.
The Lord said 'Peter, I can see your house from here.'

Forum Links
Forum Rules