Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Help plz! RAM slot disappears!

Help plz! RAM slot disappears!
Wagamuffin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 04:31 PM

I have a pretty big problem: I bought a G4 powerbook with 512 mb ram in 2 slots, but at some point I experienced a crash, and upon reboot one of the slots detected no more memory at all, leaving me with just 256! I have tried swapping the ram chips, and for the first 5-10 minutes this works, but afterwards I experience yet another freeze and the same problem occurs all over again. Seing as how I have had this laptop for over a year and a half, my warrantee is over, so is there any possible way to fix this??? THNX for your help!!!!

flanders
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2005, 04:39 PM

This sounds like the classic case of bad ram sticks. Try them one at a time and see if you get the crash with one and not the other. If so, you may just need to replace one of the sticks.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

Wagamuffin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 04:43 PM

Sorry, I should have added that in both cases the bottom port did not work, so the problem is less likely to be due to the sticks being faulty.

flanders
Forum Regular
Jun 1, 2005, 04:51 PM

ahh, okay then it does sound like the slot. so, no applecare then? hmm...i believe there's a flat-rate repair for pb logic boards through applecare but someone else can elaborate as i've never used that option.
MBP C2D 2.16Ghz 15" Matte, 2GB RAM

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 1, 2005, 04:54 PM

What ram slot stops working? What type of Powerbook do you have?
It sounds to me like you have the logic problem, which means the bottom memory slot stops working.
I'm not sure whether Apple replaces the logic boards for free or not, but they should do.

I may be wrong with this diagnosis but it sounds like you may need a new logic board.

Good Luck

Sean

Wagamuffin  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2005, 05:04 PM

Yes it is the bottom slot that doesn't work I will try to contact Apple then :S I hope they do it for free; I don't exactly know what a logic board is but it SURE sounds expensive! Thnx for the advice.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jun 1, 2005, 06:18 PM

That is exactly the problem I experienced with my 15" 1.25GHz AlBook. I've heard other reports of it, too.

I don't think there's any fix other than a new logic board.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules