Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Home network storage question

Home network storage question
david33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 02:31 PM

I have a few external hard drives lying around my house and I was wondering if it is possible to connect them to my network wirelessly. My wife and I have powerbooks and I have been unable to find a suitable and convenient way to perform regular backups and to access files wirelessly. I'm pretty sure this is possible with some sort of network link or adapter but the only one I've found is made by linksys and it is not for macs. Basically I want to connect my hard drives to my router (Netgear MR814) in some way and access them wirelessly. I'd rather not buy any new network hard drives since I already have two external hard drives on hand. Does anyone know of any affordable and worthwhile solutions.

braaak
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 04:01 PM

I use the linksys NSLU2 with my Mac.

check this out http://www.sampletheweb.com/?p=162

david33  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2005, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by braaak
I use the linksys NSLU2 with my Mac.

check this out http://www.sampletheweb.com/?p=162
Thanks for the link. How do you like the NSLU2? I've read mixed reviews about it. Are there any alternatives to it?

david33  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 10, 2005, 11:30 AM

braaak,

I ended up purchasing the NSLU2. The link you provided was extremely helpful. I'm pleased with it but it is a litttle sluggish. At least I can backup from anywhere in my house! Thanks!

Forum Links
Forum Rules