Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Solar Energy/Electrical Question

Solar Energy/Electrical Question
suvsr4terrorists
Baninated
Aug 16, 2005, 01:13 PM

As a project (geek), I was thinking about picking up a fairly small solar panel, and doing something with it. I realize that solar cells produce DC.... so you can't just plug one into your wall to save money... however... I do have a lot of transformers laying around. Stuff that takes AC and turns it into 12volts or so. What if I simply wired up a solar cell to a transformer and plugged it into the wall?

I realize that with transistors, the transformer might not work the other direction..... but hey... seems like a good idea if I wouldn't have to purchase a convertor of some kind.

suvsr4terrorists  (op)
Baninated
Aug 16, 2005, 01:17 PM

suvsr4terrorists  (op)
Baninated
Aug 16, 2005, 01:35 PM

Cool site with lots of info:

http://www.otherpower.com/

alligator
Mac Elite
Aug 16, 2005, 09:47 PM

Stop, that won't work. The transformer will convert 120 VAC into 12 VAC. You'll be connecting AC to DC, and that's just not right. More than likely, you will fry the solar cell.

Do something fun, and hold a strong magnet up to your TV. You'll really like that one! Whatever you do, don't read up on this one first!

suvsr4terrorists  (op)
Baninated
Aug 16, 2005, 10:17 PM

Bah. I was just asking a quick question. Considering I spent like 4 hours reading about this stuff today, I'm a bit more knowledgeable.

Forum Links
Forum Rules